Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8901 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

According to the Galloping Goose tracker, numbers have been a bit down from last April but I think there's a big shift in what time of day people are biking. Far fewer people biking in the early morning for commutes, but then it gets very busy in the afternoon. 

• Mike K. likes this

#8902 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 946 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 01:29 PM

Actually yes - the Fort St lanes were quite busy on the weekend when I was downtown. Same with the Wharf St lanes a couple of weeks ago when I was down that way.

Id like to get a bike . The big elephant in the room is how quick before it’s stolen ,chopped up and parted out . Not worth it to me . 

• rmpeers likes this

#8903 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 01:33 PM

Id like to get a bike . The big elephant in the room is how quick before it’s stolen ,chopped up and parted out . Not worth it to me .

You don't have to buy one. You can use one of those green bikes from that amazingly successful program the mayor launched, LOL!
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#8904 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 02:17 PM

Those things are harder to find these days than Bigfoot.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8905 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 02:24 PM

It's still worth it. The trick is to get a good quality used bike with good parts that's been tuned up. One at least 15-20 years old. The uglier the better but it will be a sleeper that rides like new but looks like hell. A U-lock and cable lock and you should be fine. I've been doing this for many years and the only time my bike got stolen was when I left it unattended and unlocked for one minute.

Those things are harder to find these days than Bigfoot.

I just saw one. Guess where.

• Mike K. and rmpeers like this

#8906 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 02:28 PM

Not fair if it’s part of a transformericle.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8907 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 946 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:02 PM

It's still worth it. The trick is to get a good quality used bike with good parts that's been tuned up. One at least 15-20 years old. The uglier the better but it will be a sleeper that rides like new but looks like hell. A U-lock and cable lock and you should be fine. I've been doing this for many years and the only time my bike got stolen was when I left it unattended and unlocked for one minute.

I just saw one. Guess where.

A regular older bike might not work well  for me . It’s bloody sad that you have to go to those lengths to keep your possessions from being  stolen especially in the downtown area .

#8908 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 04:21 PM

^Why not a customized older bike? They made them solid in the old days.

#8909 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 06:59 AM

You don't have to buy one. You can use one of those green bikes from that amazingly successful program the mayor launched, LOL!

Yeah even the most desperate homeless person won't steal one of those.

#8910 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:35 AM

Is u-bike still a thing? As in, is it an actual going concern?

Know it all.

#8911 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,082 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:38 AM

Is u-bike still a thing? As in, is it an actual going concern?

After very careful consideration and with the rapid growing concerns surrounding the COVID-19 situation, U-bicycle will be suspending operations at 4pm today (Friday March 20) until further notice. We did not make this decision lightly; however, our top priority is the health and well-being of our employees and guests. Thank for your understanding and please stay tuned for updates.

https://u-bicycle.ca/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2020 - 07:39 AM.

#8912 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:45 AM

After very careful consideration and with the rapid growing concerns surrounding the COVID-19 situation, U-bicycle will be suspending operations at 4pm today (Friday March 20) until further notice. We did not make this decision lightly; however, our top priority is the health and well-being of our employees and guests. Thank for your understanding and please stay tuned for updates.

https://u-bicycle.ca/

In my opinion Covid-19 was a convenient excuse and cover for politicians. I hadn't seen a bike downtown for 6 months prior to the announcement.

• Rob Randall, Nparker, newbie_01 and 2 others like this

#8913 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:51 AM

They’ve also been missing from their kiosks in Langford for quite some time.

Not sure what this all means if they’ve suspended the operation of a service that doesn’t need any humans at a front desk or people manning physical locations. The bikes just need to be picked up from time to time and brought over to kiosks or pick up spots.

Know it all.

#8914 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:55 AM

No twitter posts since November, no posts to Facebook since Christmas Day, and the last Instagram post was February 6th.

Know it all.

#8915 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:59 AM

No twitter posts since November, no posts to Facebook since Christmas Day, and the last Instagram post was February 6th.

I don't think we will see them back. At least the Mayor and SIPP can explain away the failure of this fiasco as being beyond their control.

Edited by spanky123, 20 April 2020 - 07:59 AM.

#8916 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:05 AM

Remember all the fanfare and the described brilliance of the idea when this program first arrived after the mayor’s inaugural trip to China? That was at a time when cities around the world were starting to expose the programs in their towns as failed projects that created garbage and lead to safety concerns among riders.

But nope, not here. Ours would be different. Ours would be a smashing success and show the entire world what was possible.

I fault nobody for trying and putting all they have into a project, but gosh our authorities laid it on so thick for so long with ubike.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#8917 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:16 AM

In my opinion Covid-19 was a convenient excuse and cover for politicians...

And not just in regards to the U-bike program
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#8918 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:09 AM

Remember all the fanfare and the described brilliance of the idea when this program first arrived after the mayor’s inaugural trip to China? That was at a time when cities around the world were starting to expose the programs in their towns as failed projects that created garbage and lead to safety concerns among riders.

But nope, not here. Ours would be different. Ours would be a smashing success and show the entire world what was possible.

I fault nobody for trying and putting all they have into a project, but gosh our authorities laid it on so thick for so long with ubike.

Yet again another classic example of 'Ready, Fire, Aim' from our Mayor who couldn't pour water out a boot if the instructions were on the heel

• Nparker, spanky123, Daveyboy and 3 others like this

#8919 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:20 PM

Is Seattle the unicorn then? Their two dockless systems, Lime and Jump, were in very good shape at the end of 2019. Not sure how they're faring right this moment, though.

#8920 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:04 PM

There are A LOT of bike parts lying around on Pandora street. I heard in the DTES they have a market of stolen joke parts where you can go and repurchase your own parts that were stolen. Don’t know if it’s still operating.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users