Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8881 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

...Lots of empty unused bike lanes...miles and miles of them...

But, but...Amsterdam... :huh:

• Daveyboy likes this

#8882 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,927 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:49 PM

The bike-share phenomenon is no longer welcome in Oak Bay.

U-Bicycle, you had your chance.

Count Coun. Hazel Braithwaite among those initially charmed and inspired by U-Bicycle’s potential. Now she’s disappointed enough to call U-Bicycle’s derelict bikes “urban garbage.”

“Something has gone wrong because I understand it has worked in other communities,” Braithwaite said. “So it’s kind of shocking it hasn’t worked in Oak Bay because we have strong numbers for cycling. Back then, we were hopeful that something like a bike share would really help and be used in the community.”

On Monday night, Oak Bay council will likely vote to de-prioritize its support for the bike-share program and the bylaw amendments that were drafted specifically to allow U-Bicycle in Oak Bay.

Essentially, it spells the end of the bike-share program in Oak Bay.

https://www.vicnews....cle-experiment/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 January 2020 - 05:49 PM.

#8883 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:33 PM

U-bike: the biggest foreign failure in Canada since Target.

• rmpeers likes this

#8884 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:34 PM

Without dedicated parking stations this was always a daft idea and now we see how badly it has gone.   

They operate a bicycle rental business but want the public to provide them with free spaces to park their bikes.    Why are they being given preferential treatment over other bike rental businesses?

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

#8885 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

U-bike: the biggest foreign failure in Canada since Target.

Not V2V?
  • GaryRanson likes this

#8886 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:52 PM

Who could have possibly anticipated that?

Meanwhile, in China..

https://www.theatlan...icycles/556268/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8887 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 10:13 PM

Without dedicated parking stations this was always a daft idea and now we see how badly it has gone.

They operate a bicycle rental business but want the public to provide them with free spaces to park their bikes. Why are they being given preferential treatment over other bike rental businesses?

To justify the mayor's trip to China?
  • GaryRanson, Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#8888 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:41 AM

Yes, this was heralded as one of the big successes of the trip to China.

I still think the push for these bike share programs was all about mining data via their obligatory apps. Users had to agree to a number of security and privacy permissions which were submitted out of country. I’m not saying there was anything nefarious going on, but that kept me from ever using the app.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8889 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:53 PM

Who could have possibly anticipated that?

Meanwhile, in China..

https://www.theatlan...icycles/556268/

They gave up on bicycles there and are using electric scooters, same bad manners and lack of knowledge of any rules of the road but now they are doing it at 50k.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8890 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:44 AM

Sensors for bicycle counters have been added to the west side of the Johnson street bridge. There is one in the pavement on the north side just before the pedestrian gates. There is another on the south side halfway down the hill. There don't appear to be any publicly visible counters.

#8891 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:30 PM

it looks like they are starting work on the Torquay to Makenzie section of the Shelburne bike lane

#8892 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 03:10 PM

There must be a better use of public resources at this time.

#8893 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:01 PM

According to their press release, its a multi-year project that also upgrades sewage, storm drain, and utilities infrastructure, in addition to bike lanes.  Phase I starts now, phase II in 2021 (N Dairy to Pear), phase III (Pear to Mackenzie) in 2023.

Project website

#8894 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 April 2020 - 02:47 AM

After which Shelbourne will be virtually undriveable - it's bad enough now (normally) with two lanes each way.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#8895 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,927 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 04:43 AM

north of McKenzie it can handle a reduction in lanes. ironically though that’s the area where people are least likely to bicycle commute from.

#8896 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:34 AM

Anybody seen an increase in bike lane usage this past month? I gather the Goose is still busy but the lanes around town are as busy as they would be on a snowy day in January. One would think with all the time on people’s hands that they’d be biking everywhere in this good weather...🤷‍♂️

#8897 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:39 AM

Actually yes - the Fort St lanes were quite busy on the weekend when I was downtown. Same with the Wharf St lanes a couple of weeks ago when I was down that way.

#8898 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:14 AM

Actually yes - the Fort St lanes were quite busy on the weekend when I was downtown. Same with the Wharf St lanes a couple of weeks ago when I was down that way.

I saw them very busy as well...  Actually note worthy....

#8899 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 April 2020 - 10:04 AM

Ok thats good, I'm not seeing anything by UVic or areas around OB and Saanich. 

#8900 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:53 PM

It's been very busy on the Goose, Lochside, E&N, Pandora, Wharf, Fort, Dallas, and Beacon Hill Park. I rode my bike from North Park to Willows Beach yesterday and it seemed like there were a lot of bikes along Haultain, Estevan and Beach Drive.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users