Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#9441 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:14 PM

Not really downtown (or even in COV) but at both Camosun and UVic snow days are the only days I would consider bike racks even close to empty. I think what you see less of in the winter is families cycling around but the people who cycle to work/school as their main transportation source do seem to keep it up

#9442 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:23 PM

Isn’t there a counter on Pandora?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9443 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:58 PM

Isn’t there a counter on Pandora?

There is a counter on Pandora near Vancouver; but it's only been in operation since May (at least, that's as far as the public data goes back).  

https://www.eco-publ...ublic/?id=4828#

(I think these are CRD counters; i'm not sure if the City has their own somewhere.)

#9444 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:06 PM

Thanks!

I swear there was a counter that had been installed at Blanshard back when the lanes were first opened. Or were the counts manual at that point?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9445 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:44 PM

What is happening on Dallas Road by the totem pole? They are putting in some sort of strange curbs, so now you can no longer park along there if the ocean-side spots are all full. Also the parking area in front of the petting zoo is blocked off so now you can no longer drive on "Circle Drive" and exit onto Dallas. It is no longer a circle.

#9446 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:32 PM

Great to see some new members jumping in to fight the fight most of us have long given up on this forum.  Trying to draw reason from and discuss topics relating to cycling with common sense and a broader view... and show that cyclists are not second class citizens but just people looking to get around town safely.

A few user based observations for you all from 2+ years of year-round, daily commuting in the Pandora bike lanes.

- Drivers have figured out the 'no right on red'... rarely see this happen anymore.

- There is rarely more than 3 or 4 cars waiting their 15 seconds to turn right, and they all get through just fine.

- Bike lane use has gone up... and increasing every year, in all seasons.

Regarding the assumption that cyclists don't ride in the winter...  

- l ride daily... rain or shine and only pause when there's ice or snow on the ground.  There are an increasing number each fall/winter who do as well... with greater availability of commuter specific bikes, fenders and water-proof cycling gear, our climate is so mild, there is a very small window that might be 'too cold' to ride... but rain is never an issue.

- The office building l work in is having increasing issues with space for commuters bikes... summer bike parking is overflowing, fall/winter is approaching capacity.

Further more... based on the amount of bikes sold this year to date (every shop in the city is almost completely sold out of just about all 2020 and some 2021 bikes), you're going to see, and in some cases already seeing, a dramatic increase in bike traffic city wide.

• Matt R., Greg, Ismo07 and 4 others like this

#9447 Blue Steel

Blue Steel
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:20 AM

What is happening on Dallas Road by the totem pole? They are putting in some sort of strange curbs, so now you can no longer park along there if the ocean-side spots are all full. Also the parking area in front of the petting zoo is blocked off so now you can no longer drive on "Circle Drive" and exit onto Dallas. It is no longer a circle.

This might answer part of your question: here's a screenshot of the accepted design for the Dallas Rd intersection that CoV approved over a year ago. There might be some design finessing since then, not sure. 

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 10.07.41 AM.jpg

#9448 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 02:25 PM

I'm not 100% sure if this is what you're talking about but there are new curbs being constructed on Dallas Road at the south end of Circle Drive to create a crossing that connects the Dallas Road cycle track to the cycle track within Beacon Hill Park, which is to serve as a connection to the south end of the Vancouver Street bike route.

You can see it on the second to last page of these plans: https://www.victoria...oved design.pdf

#9449 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:34 PM

Huh.... i didn't even realize that parking was permitted on the north side of Dallas; can't remember ever seeing cars parked there but yeah, there's no signage or yellow curb paint so i guess it's allowed.

It doesn't show on the plans linked above but it looks to me like it's a pathway from the new crosswalk to the old one to the east. Presumably to allow pedestrians to access either north/ south pathway without walking on the road or having to go down south to the ped path; IIRC that section of the new Dallas Road pathway is supposed to be a cycle track, not a multi-use path (although it's open to everyone now because COVID) since pedestrians have exclusive use of the existing path.

Edited by Rex Waverly, 16 September 2020 - 03:35 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#9450 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:42 PM

This might answer part of your question: here's a screenshot of the accepted design for the Dallas Rd intersection that CoV approved over a year ago. There might be some design finessing since then, not sure. 

Welcome to VV!

• Blue Steel likes this

Know it all.

#9451 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the info about Beacon Hill. I sure wish they would open up the roads again. I like to go look at the trees in the autumn but no way I'm walking in there now.

• rmpeers likes this

#9452 TFord

TFord
  • Suspended User
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:12 AM

Beacon Hill park is a treasure for this community, it is a magnificent place to spend time and enjoy nature. I was in the park yesterday and spent a couple of hours walking around, trying to make sense of what they are trying to achieve in allowing this destruction. 

I don't think the small tents make a big impact. However, the bicycle chop shops with running generators, what is that about? Are we powerless to allow this? I am at a loss.

What is happening in the park at the moment is unforgivable. Sooner our later we will need to take action as we our let down time and time again by the City. 

Tford

• A Girl is No one and On the Level like this

#9453 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:13 AM

The destruction of our parks is shocking; what has been done by this city council is unforgivable.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#9454 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:26 PM

“This is a great link to help solidify the connection to the rest of the regional trails network,” says Sarah Webb, the city’s manager of transportation planning and development.

The Harbour Road completion means cyclists can now ride on a dedicated pathway from Humboldt Street in Victoria all the way to Sooke and Sidney, with only a residential segment of Lochside Drive in Saanich and a brief crossing of Island Highway in Colwood interrupting that flow.

https://www.vicnews....downtown-heart/

thank god that's finished.  that should open it up to the thousands of sidney and sooke daily bike commuters now that were waiting for that harbour road bit.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 October 2020 - 09:27 PM.

#9455 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 10:36 PM

^The Sooke-to-Downtown commuting cyclists are easy to identify by their hard-as-diamond calf muscles.

• Matt R. and Brayvehart like this

#9456 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 10:38 PM

Beacon Hill park is a treasure for this community, it is a magnificent place to spend time and enjoy nature. I was in the park yesterday and spent a couple of hours walking around, trying to make sense of what they are trying to achieve in allowing this destruction.

I don't think the small tents make a big impact. However, the bicycle chop shops with running generators, what is that about? Are we powerless to allow this? I am at a loss.

What is happening in the park at the moment is unforgivable. Sooner our later we will need to take action as we our let down time and time again by the City.

Tford

I still see morons on social media, those smug-yet-not-bright TV types, gloating about how perfectly safe the park is. Kinda makes me ill, to be honest.

#9457 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 10:56 PM

I still see morons on social media, those smug-yet-not-bright TV types, gloating about how perfectly safe the park is...

Would they let their children walk through the park unaccompanied?

#9458 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 October 2020 - 11:12 PM

“This is a great link to help solidify the connection to the rest of the regional trails network,” says Sarah Webb, the city’s manager of transportation planning and development.

The Harbour Road completion means cyclists can now ride on a dedicated pathway from Humboldt Street in Victoria all the way to Sooke and Sidney, with only a residential segment of Lochside Drive in Saanich and a brief crossing of Island Highway in Colwood interrupting that flow.

https://www.vicnews....downtown-heart/

thank god that's finished. that should open it up to the thousands of sidney and sooke daily bike commuters now that were waiting for that harbour road bit.

By this logic a continuous highway across Vancouver Island was a poor investment because nobody is commuting from Port Hardy to Victoria. A transportation network is more than the most distant points it connects.
  • Greg and Brayvehart like this

#9459 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:19 AM

^ of course it is. that’s why I’m laughing at that silly statement by Victoria officials.

#9460 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 October 2020 - 03:31 AM

^ of course it is. that’s why I’m laughing at that silly statement by Victoria officials.

I fail to see how that statement is silly

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users