Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#10121 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:57 PM

Umm walk? :)

Err no, I didn’t state where I started my journey or where I was continuing onto.... I merely showed the local area in question where my journey was impeded... maybe CoV could do better in the way of communicating road interruptions FFS

#10122 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:08 PM

Have you checked the daily city road transportation site?

Street Fax - Road Work & Closures
  • rjag likes this

#10123 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2021 - 10:21 PM

Street Fax - Road Work & Closures

Fax?  

I don't know why in 2021 we can't have cities adding construction to Google Maps.

• rmpeers likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#10124 Rex Waverly

Rex Waverly
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:05 AM

Fax?  

I don't know why in 2021 we can't have cities adding construction to Google Maps.

Heh... despite the 'Fax' name, it is available electronically on the City's website: https://www.victoria...k-closures.html;  Pretty dry reading, though.

But you're right, it would be nice to have it added to Maps. I wonder what the process for that is; would it be reasonably simple for a city to do or would it be an arduous process....  

#10125 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:10 AM

Should be simple. Even Wayz can be used. When roads are closed for accidents by police the closures can reflect near instantly from what I’ve seen.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10126 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:53 AM

Umm walk? :)

My life isnt as simple as yours, my job entails frequent trips and no 2 days are the same....I know thats hard to imagine for a desk jockey....this is an example of my day yesterday. 

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2021-04-01 074744.jpg

• sebberry and On the Level like this

#10127 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 April 2021 - 07:39 AM

Should be simple. Even Wayz can be used. When roads are closed for accidents by police the closures can reflect near instantly from what I’ve seen.

I'm pretty sure that's not manually inputted, but 'AI' based on telemetry data from phones in the vicinity. e.g. Google Maps sees that no one is going through a particular section of road anymore (or pace has drastically slowed from normal) and correlates that with other data to mark it as an accident or construction.

I could be wrong though, perhaps it is inputted, but doesn't seem likely to me, as I see this everywhere I've used navigation.

#10128 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 07:48 AM

I'm pretty sure that's not manually inputted, but 'AI' based on telemetry data from phones in the vicinity. e.g. Google Maps sees that no one is going through a particular section of road anymore (or pace has drastically slowed from normal) and correlates that with other data to mark it as an accident or construction.

I could be wrong though, perhaps it is inputted, but doesn't seem likely to me, as I see this everywhere I've used navigation.

Or, you know, put up a sign at the most common entry point to warn folks that the road is closed 3 blocks ahead so that you dont get a bottleneck of traffic forced down 1 road

#10129 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 01 April 2021 - 07:49 AM

A late motion has been added to today's City of the Whole meeting proposing that Fan Tan Alley be converted to bike lanes.

Happy April Fool's all.

• rjag, A Girl is No one and rmpeers like this

#10130 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 April 2021 - 07:55 AM

You can manually add temporary road closures in Google Maps, even the start and end date/time of the closure
  • rjag likes this

#10131 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 07:56 AM

Err no, I didn’t state where I started my journey or where I was continuing onto.... I merely showed the local area in question where my journey was impeded... maybe CoV could do better in the way of communicating road interruptions FFS

Ah you were serious about that route you took...?  Straight down Rockland, right on Vancouver, left on Meares, left on Quadra, Right on Rupert Tce.  Pretty simple, not as simple as my job (close to being offended).. LOL...   As for road interruptions, I think there is a daily report you can get for that.  It is out there, but the COV can't just send you a personal flyer.  I'll get the info for you ....

Edit: Street Fax - Road Work & Closures | Victoria updated each day at 3pm for the next day.

Edited by Ismo07, 01 April 2021 - 07:59 AM.

• rjag likes this

#10132 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:46 AM

Ah you were serious about that route you took...?  Straight down Rockland, right on Vancouver, left on Meares, left on Quadra, Right on Rupert Tce.  Pretty simple, not as simple as my job (close to being offended).. LOL...   As for road interruptions, I think there is a daily report you can get for that.  It is out there, but the COV can't just send you a personal flyer.  I'll get the info for you ....

Edit: Street Fax - Road Work & Closures | Victoria updated each day at 3pm for the next day.

Hehe, yup, Rockland to Vancouver, left on Vancouver, right on Burdett, left on Quadra, right on Rupert. Its actually not very convoluted. Where the problem arose was all the traffic that was on Quadra coming from Fort being forced to turn right onto Burdett and then right again onto Blanshard. 

I know you dont ride a desk, just yanking your chain! ;-) 

#10133 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:57 AM

....this is an example of my day yesterday.

Well, there's your problem. You were out doing stuff. The government is clamping down on that, in order to [insert today's reason here].

• rjag likes this

#10134 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 April 2021 - 11:37 AM

You can manually add temporary road closures in Google Maps, even the start and end date/time of the closure

I"m aware. I just don't think most of them are done that way, especially for accidents.

#10135 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 04:28 AM

Victoria council votes to continue Richardson Street bikeway plan, despite opposition

Victoria council has opted to continue with an approved plan for a bikeway project on Richardson Street in a 6-3 vote that rejected a motion to delay for further consultation.

Under the plan, the physical road will remain mostly the same, with added on-street parking in some areas that will narrow the road, and five traffic diversions that will prevent through-traffic for motor vehicles. Cyclists, who are normally required to ride as close to the right as possible, will share the road with motorists, who can pass a cyclist by pulling around on the cyclist’s left, as they would on any local street.

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24310996

Speed and traffic volumes on the 2.8-kilometre route that links downtown to the Fairfield-Gonzales neighbourhood, Rockland and Oak Bay will be reduced, as motor vehicles will need to turn off the street at five locations.

Coun. Charlayne Thornton-Joe put forward a motion Thursday to delay the bikeway to allow for further consultation. Councillors Stephen Andrew and Geoff Young supported the defeated motion.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 April 2021 - 04:30 AM.

#10136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:24 AM

Victoria council votes to continue Richardson Street bikeway plan, despite opposition...

"I'm shocked" said no one.

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#10137 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 08:19 AM

I know some folks living on Richardson and one on Harbinger. None said they knew of this until they saw the signs posted on Richardson saying it was coming. They all just roll their eyes and say, when's the next election? Guess we'll all just be spending more on gas.  

#10138 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 08:31 AM

Victoria council votes to continue Richardson Street bikeway plan, despite opposition

Victoria council has opted to continue with an approved plan for a bikeway project on Richardson Street in a 6-3 vote that rejected a motion to delay for further consultation.

Under the plan, the physical road will remain mostly the same, with added on-street parking in some areas that will narrow the road, and five traffic diversions that will prevent through-traffic for motor vehicles. Cyclists, who are normally required to ride as close to the right as possible, will share the road with motorists, who can pass a cyclist by pulling around on the cyclist’s left, as they would on any local street.

https://www.timescol...tion-1.24310996

Speed and traffic volumes on the 2.8-kilometre route that links downtown to the Fairfield-Gonzales neighbourhood, Rockland and Oak Bay will be reduced, as motor vehicles will need to turn off the street at five locations.

Coun. Charlayne Thornton-Joe put forward a motion Thursday to delay the bikeway to allow for further consultation. Councillors Stephen Andrew and Geoff Young supported the defeated motion.

Because of course its going ahead. They will do literally anything the spandex lobbyists demand, no matter how obviously badly designed. It is the Emperor's New Clothes.
  • Nparker, rjag, On the Level and 1 other like this

#10139 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 08:50 AM

The Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition and Greater Victoria Bike to Work Society merged to serve the region with cycling education, celebration, and advocacy.

“Crapital Bike is building off of 30 years worth of momentum and success. By bringing together cycling skills courses, fun rides, as well as our advocacy

https://www.vicnews....eater-victoria/

#10140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 04:06 AM

Driver parks on steps outside Victoria hotel after trip down Wharf Street bike lane

https://www.vicnews....reet-bike-lane/

The driver wasn’t impaired and nobody was injured

25257912_web1_210521-vne-regent-car--_1-

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users