BUILT
V1488
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1488 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 13
V1488 is a 13-storey purpose-built rental tower with ground floor commercial space in downtown Victoria's Harr... (view full profile)
Learn more about V1488 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] "V1488" | 1075 Pandora/1488 Cook Street | Built - completed in 2018

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#601 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

Thanks. I think the ALR is a big part of the problem. Most of it is being used for industrial purposes anyways; daffodils, greenhouses, wineries, pumpkins. Not food. Like to see some suburban developments like we had in the 50's and 60's. You could buy a 1200 sq ft house for $15-18,000 in the sixties in Toronto. Single earner family. Nothing fancy but you got by. Didn't need a university degree with a fancy government job either. $8,000 a year was the average wage. No sidewalks or curbs, ditches. Unfinished basements of course. But the schools were built and the local plaza's.

Excellent point.  I live in Central Saanich on a few acres.  Do I need a few acres, no, and the vast majority of the property is trees and nature.  Ask Central Saanich if I could subdivide and build a few houses in my back yard and they would laugh in my face.  Combined with a few other facts, I think Central Saanich doesn't believe in affordable housing

We are now building as much as we can at the moment, the construction industry is flat out and the demand is there and prices are the highest they have every been.  If you want to build or buy a house, costs have never been higher and are just going to keep rising.  Developers will just pass these costs on to the purchaser.

Even if government was to open up huge tracks of land to build on, the end product will still be expensive.  Any government regulations and requirements just pile on the costs

• jonny likes this

#602 mike1981

mike1981
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

Excellent point.  I live in Central Saanich on a few acres.  Do I need a few acres, no, and the vast majority of the property is trees and nature.  Ask Central Saanich if I could subdivide and build a few houses in my back yard and they would laugh in my face.  Combined with a few other facts, I think Central Saanich doesn't believe in affordable housing

We are now building as much as we can at the moment, the construction industry is flat out and the demand is there and prices are the highest they have every been.  If you want to build or buy a house, costs have never been higher and are just going to keep rising.  Developers will just pass these costs on to the purchaser.

Even if government was to open up huge tracks of land to build on, the end product will still be expensive.  Any government regulations and requirements just pile on the costs

Thanks tjv. It's a sad state of affairs and totally unnecessary, drive across Canada sometime in the winter and try and find a town or an open gas station. No people, nothing. Rocks and trees and rocks and trees. This isn't europe. Europe had a crummy standard of living compared to us anyways. Why are all these urban geniuses at UVic that populate government and council using them as an example? It's just hatred of our north american normal. You think it's terrific living in a 1 bedroom apartment? Now they want some Hamburg or Glasgow style tenament living for everyone? What the f. did we lose a war or something?

Edited by mike1981, 24 January 2018 - 09:29 PM.

• Mike K., LJ, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#603 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

No, its not terrific living in a 1 bedroom apartment, but life isn't fair now either.  There are people worse off than you, trying living on minimum wage in NYC.  The reality is few employers are offering minimum wage any more because no one works for them, I see Butchart Gardens recently upped their starting wage to $15/hr.

#604 mike1981

mike1981
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:21 AM

No, its not terrific living in a 1 bedroom apartment, but life isn't fair now either.  There are people worse off than you, trying living on minimum wage in NYC.  The reality is few employers are offering minimum wage any more because no one works for them, I see Butchart Gardens recently upped their starting wage to $15/hr.

'If they give them 40 hours a week or more that would be great for them. If they play around with 20 hours a week like a lot of places do not so much. Of course any government job at a low entry level like bc transit, bc ferries, uvic maintenance or cashier starts at something like $26 I think. But like you say life isn't fair. There's no auto plants in BC and the mills dont really hire. Fifteen years ago you couldn't get an apprenticeship anywhere in contruction trades like electrical, welding, plumbing.  Camosun would sell you the course and get you the loan but you couldn't get the hours to move onto the next year without leaving town or province. Then you are stuck with the debt and no further ahead, bit of a racket for the colleges I think. Hope that has changed now.

Edited by mike1981, 25 January 2018 - 09:28 AM.

#605 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

Living in a two bedroom apartment, on the other hand, is fantastic. 

#606 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

Fifteen years ago you couldn't get an apprenticeship anywhere in contruction trades like electrical, welding, plumbing.

Construction is a cyclical business, and its very possible in 2 to 3 years that you can't get an apprenticeship.  I know in the great recession I had journeyman trades applying to be labourers.  I know several electrical companies that can build coffee tables today out of the resumes they have on file.

Anyway, I think we have beaten this to death.  New apartments are going to be expensive and that isn't going to change

• Jackerbie likes this

#607 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

...New apartments are going to be expensive and that isn't going to change

This.

• Jackerbie likes this

#608 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

Has the ground-floor commercial tenant been announced yet?

#609 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

No, no formal announcements have been presented just yet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#610 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:31 AM

Has the ground-floor commercial tenant been announced yet?

Is there any commercial not at grade? Apparently Live Well Exercise Clinic is one tenant. Not at the corner, though.

#611 harpoon

harpoon
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

Any info about the lot behind this building on Johnson st? IIRC it was supposed to be turned into a condo building that shared parking with the 1488 rental building

#612 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

It’ll likely get underway this year and will be a rental.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#613 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:40 PM

Photos from Feb 2nd

Attached Images

• DSCF0187.JPG
  • DSCF0193.JPG

• Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#614 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:57 PM

Looks 'just about finished'... :1954_dancing:

#615 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:46 PM

Has any part of this building been granted occupancy?

On the weekend I watched as a lady and her two small dogs plus bags of groceries busted out a key fob and walked right into the main entrance here (under the 1488 Cook sign). Or maybe it was just someone cleaning the finished suites bringing some snacks for the crew and pups for company?

#616 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

I can confirm the residential floors up to the 9th had occupancy from the start of the month and folks have been living there since February 1st. Floors 10-13 received occupancy yesterday.

Know it all.

#617 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:15 PM

I can confirm the residential floors up to the 9th had occupancy from the start of the month and folks have been living there since February 1st. Floors 10-13 received occupancy yesterday.

Do they still have a number 13 on the elevator panels?

#618 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

Any official announcements about the ground floor tenants?

#619 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:12 PM

Do you know what % of the building is rented?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#620 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

Can this building g be marked “complete”..?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users