BUILT
V1488
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1488 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 13
V1488 is a 13-storey purpose-built rental tower with ground floor commercial space in downtown Victoria's Harr... (view full profile)
Learn more about V1488 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] "V1488" | 1075 Pandora/1488 Cook Street | Built - completed in 2018

Rental Commercial

• Please log in to reply
685 replies to this topic

#101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the update, dg!

Can anyone confirm whether or not the 10-storey component complies with the existing zoning?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#102 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

All seems to have gone very quiet on this development - has anyone heard anything in terms of where they are at? Last I heard the proposal was submitted to the city without any changes from the original design in terms of the 10 story building on the Johnson Street side.
Now that the Mondrian is just about completed you get a good sense of how sandwiched these buildings will be once completed...

#103 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

All seems to have gone very quiet on this development - has anyone heard anything in terms of where they are at? Last I heard the proposal was submitted to the city without any changes from the original design in terms of the 10 story building on the Johnson Street side.
Now that the Mondrian is just about completed you get a good sense of how sandwiched these buildings will be once completed...

I now understand that this proposal has been recommended by the Planning Dept. it now is up to the Land Use sub committee of the City Council to give it the go ahead.

I dont see how it wont be approved to proceed.....hello high density living!

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the 10-storey component is proceeding as planned?

If it is moving forward as proposed then despite the optics and sheer proximity of that building next to Mondrian and Sutton East, Harris Green's guidelines advocate just that sort of development.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

As far as I know, there have been only minor changes to the original design - so I would assume that the proposal includes the 10 story component on Johnson.

#106 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the 10-storey component is proceeding as planned?...

The report in the agenda for the PLUSC for April 18 shows the application is 13 storey, 146 unit appartment, 1016 m2 of ground floor commercial space, ground and lower level parking for 153 vehicles.

#107 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

Yes, it would appear after reading the report yesterday that they have separated (in terms of the report) the two properties out. I have not had a thorough read of the report but at first glance it seems that the proposal for the 10 story building on Johnson will come under a separate agenda.
Judging by what I am reading and hearing there is some opposition to this proposal on a number of fronts....

#108 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

I am not sure how there could be opposition to the proposal for the corner. The other portion on Johnson I do understand. This really is a great addition to the neighbourhood. I am a bit confused when I look back at the photos when I see this described as three buildings though.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#109 Downtownguy99

Downtownguy99
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Agreed should clarify - there should not be much issue with the corner - has mostly to do with the Johnson building.

I share your confusion, although I found a bit more clarity in the report, I think the building mass appears as one but it is divided by inside (actually outside) walkways that break it up (I think?)

#110 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

I remember two of the complaints concerned the noise caused by the construction.

#111 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

The application was "deferred" from the PLUSC meeting today, so says the updated agenda at the link below.

The report in the agenda for the PLUSC for April 18 shows the application is 13 storey, 146 unit appartment, 1016 m2 of ground floor commercial space, ground and lower level parking for 153 vehicles.

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

Has this project been officially canceled now?

Know it all.

#113 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

No, it was on the May 2 PLUSC.
Minutes are here.

Has this project been officially canceled now?

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Thanks! Someone on our Facebook page said the TC had reported the project was done. Has there been anything since the May 2nd meeting that might have spurred the TC into action?

Know it all.

#115 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

I don't think I'll miss the part on the johnson st side. Even without it this building would still be ~300 units/acre, or 750 units/hectare which seems plenty to me.

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

Thanks! Someone on our Facebook page said the TC had reported the project was done. Has there been anything since the May 2nd meeting that might have spurred the TC into action?

I've tried to find any information regarding this project being canceled and have come up empty. What concerns me is the individual who posted on our Facebook page that the project was canceled is employed by Alpha Developments, the developer of the Mondrian project. Unless this individual has information the rest of us do not it is starting to look like there may be no substance behind the comment. Whether the remark by the Alpha employee was intentionally misleading or a simple mistake I do not know, but I feel it is important to clarify that as far as we on VV are aware this project is still progressing through the municipal process.

Know it all.

#117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Great looking project. And we now know that it is not a condo but apparently a rental project.

Below are photos Marko J snapped of the model and a rendering of the 10-storey portion that is not evident in the rendering above.

Know it all.

#118 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

Can someone orient me?

#119 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Can someone orient me?

The CRD map shows 1075 Pandora as the site where the BCAA used to be.

#120 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

I know where it is, I just couldn't figure out how the massing sits. But I think I figured it out. Top pic Pandora and Cook with the Monrian in the background?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users