Victoria's housing market, home prices and values

• Please log in to reply
5833 replies to this topic

#2141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:56 PM

And then there is also that silver lining that the absolute worst renter is 1000% better than the absolute worst owner (one might disappear in six months, the other might be around for a very, very, very long time).

• dasmo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2142 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:21 PM

We have one rental house on our street and it is without a doubt the worst maintained house on the street, right down to the abandoned car in the driveway.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2143 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

As a renter I think that all of you may be seeing what you want to see. Our garden is far nicer than many of the homes along the street that are owner occupied and I would say our house is far tidier than many of my "owning" acquaintances. The fact is most people in Victoria rent and it will continue to be that way but more so as time goes on.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2144 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

Would it stand to reason that the value of all property shot up significantly over the last 18 months, so the switch from non-rental to rental would be mostly affected by the general melee, not necessarily the switch?

General market is up for sure but not nearly as much. The general market for similar one bedroom condos is up about 6% in the period that condos in this building increased about 18%.
  • Mike K. likes this

#2145 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 08:01 PM

As a renter I think that all of you may be seeing what you want to see. Our garden is far nicer than many of the homes along the street that are owner occupied and I would say our house is far tidier than many of my "owning" acquaintances. The fact is most people in Victoria rent and it will continue to be that way but more so as time goes on.

Could you rent the house on my street please?

• Nparker and jonny like this

#2146 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

I wouldn't dare move. My rent would go up. 😀

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2147 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

The general reality is rents are far too low for landlords to reinvest in their properties.  Apartment buildings are selling with ROI's (return on investment) of around 4% give or take.  Pathetic returns so landlords are trying to maximize every dollar in their pockets

Do some simple math on being a landlord trying to rent out a house valued at $1 million with mortgage payments, property taxes, maintenance costs, and other factors including depreciation and a vacancy factor, etc and you will soon discover you need to rent out that house for $7500 to $8000 for a decent return.  That's not going to happen anywhere in Victoria

#2148 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:23 PM

The general reality is rents are far too low for landlords to reinvest in their properties. Apartment buildings are selling with ROI's (return on investment) of around 4% give or take. Pathetic returns so landlords are trying to maximize every dollar in their pockets

Do some simple math on being a landlord trying to rent out a house valued at $1 million with mortgage payments, property taxes, maintenance costs, and other factors including depreciation and a vacancy factor, etc and you will soon discover you need to rent out that house for $7500 to $8000 for a decent return. That's not going to happen anywhere in Victoria

Yeah the best return is in lower priced properties for sure. $1M house is very difficult to make sense as a rental unless you can shove it full of suites and live over the garage

#2149 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:40 PM

I was a Christmas party the other day where the landlord built herself a tiny house/garden suite in the backyard and rented the top and bottom floors of the main house to two tenants.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2150 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 07:43 PM

Yeah the best return is in lower priced properties for sure. $1M house is very difficult to make sense as a rental unless you can shove it full of suites and live over the garage

don't forget the average single family house is now 903k so you don't get much for 1M

I was visiting a major US city recently and a 1 bedroom apartment starts at $2500 per month and salaries aren't much different than Victoria

#2151 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:52 PM

In my girlfriend's building the issues are 1/10th as pronounced as they are in my building, and and I'd wager 90% of the issues in her building are courtesy of renters.

My building allows 5/27 units rented, which all of them are.

I'd suggest that in my building, renters are responsible for about 10% of the complaints, most of them trivial in nature. 

Anyway, I have a notification email for when houses in the postcode where my childhood home in England is go up for sale. 

The old house I was in has sold a few times since 2000.  Just thought this was interesting as we all complain about housing costs here:

Capture.JPG

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2152 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:26 PM

On the downside...my sister-in-law and her husband and two teens live in Tokyo.  Pretty much a bog-standard Japanese apartment reasonably close to the centre of the city.  they paid the equivalent of $350k for it in ~1999.  The guy they bought it off?  He paid close to $900k at the peak of the boom in the late 80s...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2153 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

And in Scottsdale you can rent a brand new 2 bedroom apartment for $1400.

http://www.56northap...7_1|38_297787_1

#2154 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:53 AM

don't forget the average single family house is now 903k so you don't get much for 1M

I was visiting a major US city recently and a 1 bedroom apartment starts at $2500 per month and salaries aren't much different than Victoria

By rest of the world standards, Victoria had, and still has, very cheap rent. 

What the rest of the world doesn't have, is a large contingent of hippies who think that it is their right to live anywhere they want and only pay $600 a month. 

• jonny likes this

#2155 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,497 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:27 AM

By rest of the world standards, Victoria had, and still has, very cheap rent.

What the rest of the world doesn't have, is a large contingent of hippies who think that it is their right to live anywhere they want and only pay $600 a month.

I thought all the hippies moved to saltspring in the 89s?
  • Matt R. likes this

#2156 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

Its the same here.

Matt.

#2157 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 03:41 PM

I thought all the hippies moved to saltspring in the 89s?

Yeah, and they all got JOBS.

#2158 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

Or acreages.

Matt.

#2159 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

2017 ended with low inventory of under 1,400 listings on MLS, while prices pushed to a record average of $859,871 and record median of $752,125, both 16% above the average and median of 2016.

Record highs, record lows: 2017 sets new bars for Victoria real-estate

Know it all.

#2160 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:05 PM

Note that while total inventory is lower than last December (by 7%), residential inventory (which I assume most people are more interested in) is actually up slightly (by 4%).   

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users