Victoria's housing market, home prices and values

• Please log in to reply
5833 replies to this topic

#2361 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:46 AM

That doesn't solve the issue of the West Shore's existing 80,000-odd residents (or whatever it may be) who have very limited access to the E&N and the existing primary bus routes. Before we make transportation options better for a future 1,000 residents, we ought to be making transportation options better for the existing 80,000.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2362 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

That doesn't solve the issue of the West Shore's existing 80,000-odd residents (or whatever it may be) who have very limited access to the E&N and the existing primary bus routes. Before we make transportation options better for a future 1,000 residents, we ought to be making transportation options better for the existing 80,000.

Limited access? It would be a lot easier than accessing the highway by car. Lot's of room for park and ride in "downtown" Langford and easier to drive there than onto the highway at 8:30.... 

ZbDaBVk.jpg

#2363 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:02 AM

and I said thousands not a thousand. Did you see the size of the WestHills undeveloped area above? Another 80,000? Certainly not if they all need to squeeze through an already choked artery.... What is the car solution again? 

#2364 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

It gives a very small amount of people the option of not having to drive.

The 50/61 service into town is quite frequent and decent for a region like Victoria, but the reason very few people take the bus is because they can’t eaily get to that bus. And that won’t change until transit services become more frequent and more dependable in communities that are currently undeeserviced or not serviced at all by a reasonably frequent connector route.

So how you fix that is to make the E&N corridor the main transit route with trains leaving every say 10 minutes during rush hour and maybe say 30-40 minutes during non rush hour.  At strategic locations you make them transit hubs where buses collect people from a certain region and drop them at a bus transit centre where they board the commuter rail into town.  I see something like the Bridgeport station in Richmond.

Also advertise the hell out of it.  Want to be in town in 15 minutes take commuter take commuter rail, if you want to be in town in an hour take your car

I remember living in Burnaby 20 something years ago.  It was faster for me to walk to skytrain and head downtown during NON rush hour than taking my car

• Nparker and grantpalin like this

#2365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:58 PM

and I said thousands not a thousand. Did you see the size of the WestHills undeveloped area above? Another 80,000? Certainly not if they all need to squeeze through an already choked artery.... What is the car solution again?

I’ll check back with you on that in 2040.

In the meantime the McKenzie interchange will at the very least alleviate one choke point that it ought to have alleviated in 1991.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2366 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

Listings-of-houses-in-the-Capital-Region-priced-below-500000-falls-to-15.jpg

Only 15 houses in metro Victoria are priced below $500,000 as real-estate frenzy continues

https://victoria.cit...enzy-continues/

Know it all.

#2367 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:55 AM

So how you fix that is to make the E&N corridor the main transit route with trains leaving every say 10 minutes during rush hour and maybe say 30-40 minutes during non rush hour.  At strategic locations you make them transit hubs where buses collect people from a certain region and drop them at a bus transit centre where they board the commuter rail into town.  I see something like the Bridgeport station in Richmond.

Also advertise the hell out of it.  Want to be in town in 15 minutes take commuter take commuter rail, if you want to be in town in an hour take your car

I remember living in Burnaby 20 something years ago.  It was faster for me to walk to skytrain and head downtown during NON rush hour than taking my car

How do trains leave every 10 minutes with one rail?

YVR to Waterfront station is about the same distance as Langford Station to downtown. That trip on the Canada line takes 30 minutes with stops. I don't see how you can then do Langford to downtown with stops in 15 minutes.

#2368 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:40 AM

YVR to Waterfront station is about the same distance as Langford Station to downtown. That trip on the Canada line takes 30 minutes with stops. I don't see how you can then do Langford to downtown with stops in 15 minutes.

Between YVR and Waterfront, there are 11 stops which include some major transportation and population hubs.  I realistically see maybe 3 or 4 stops between the end terminals.  The stops are what make the canada line slower.

• tedward likes this

#2369 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:51 AM

Between YVR and Waterfront, there are 11 stops which include some major transportation and population hubs.  I realistically see maybe 3 or 4 stops between the end terminals.  The stops are what make the canada line slower.

True but with only one line you would have to build cut outs at each station here and then time trains so that they overlap. That would make for much longer delays at stops.

Edited by spanky123, 13 June 2018 - 07:51 AM.

#2370 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:41 PM

not sure, twin the rail lines.  And where it is making stops?  I am thinking say 3 stops in Langford and the next stop is close to downtown.  Where would people want to get off between?

• tedward likes this

#2371 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:08 PM

Wherever a new node for development is created to pay for the line. Hopefully oak bay
"I know nothing"

#2372 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:12 PM

They go one direction every ten minutes the other every hour, then switch at then of the day.

#2373 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:28 PM

They go one direction every ten minutes the other every hour, then switch at then of the day.

So you need a place to park 8 trains or so?

#2374 van-island

van-island
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:39 PM

It gives a very small amount of people the option of not having to drive.

The 50/61 service into town is quite frequent and decent for a region like Victoria, but the reason very few people take the bus is because they can’t eaily get to that bus. And that won’t change until transit services become more frequent and more dependable in communities that are currently undeeserviced or not serviced at all by a reasonably frequent connector route.

BC Transit can't run viable services in low density Langford sprawl; the failure of frequent and usable transit is built into the land use.

#2375 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:10 PM

BC Transit can't run viable services in low density Langford sprawl; the failure of frequent and usable transit is built into the land use.

You think langford is sprawl? Have you ever left the island? There are cities in canada far more sprawled than langford that make transit work

#2376 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:33 AM

Agreed. The land use in Langford is not much different from Saanich, Oak Bay or Esquimalt. But we perceive it to be different because it’s on hillier terrain and beyond some neighbourhoods is vast parkland or crown land. The impression that creates is that the West Shore is “sprawl.”

Know it all.

#2377 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:40 AM

Just look at what the original Expo skytrain was like back in 1986.  Was there even a building higher than 4 storeys along the entire route 32 years ago? 

#2378 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:07 PM

Through Vancouver city the route ran through mainly SFD neighbourhoods (still mainly SFD neighbourhoods even today) but at Metrotown and in New West there were plenty of apartments, including some midrise and highrise. Some office buildings along the way, too (BC Tel's tower being the most obvious one).

Pic:

http://old.globalair...town/1982/004/2

#2379 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:37 AM

^ok fair enough, I thought most of those high rises were built after.  But other than Metrotown and downtown Vancouver were there any other high rises built pre expo line?

There is a heck of a lot of high rises along that line now thou with more being built every day

#2380 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

Highrises in general, or only along the line?

West Vancouver had quite a few towers going into the 80’s and 90’s, as did a number of areas in the City of Vancouver and Burnaby.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users