Victoria's housing market, home prices and values

• Please log in to reply
5833 replies to this topic

#1941 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

Stress test people are less than 3% of buyers.  I stick with my 14% prediction.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 October 2017 - 09:03 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1942 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:22 PM

Another stat from your book eh. I believe you posted the math somewhere, but I still call BS. Having to qualify at 2% higher is not insignificant at all. Most estimates are around 10% of buying power will disappear.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#1943 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:15 AM

The stress test will apply to 100% of people who seek financing via banks. There will be opportunities to avoid the test if you have 20% down and seek alternate lending but that might cost you a higher rate.

Also, the changes to small business taxes that Trudeau has backed away from to a large degree continue to have an effect. Few want to make a big move if they don’t know what the government wants to do to their earnings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1944 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:58 AM

It applies to anyone who wants to renew their mortgage where they want to increase it, ie tap into the increased equity in their property. Or if you change lenders. 

Its a hostage situation for the banks, clients cant threaten to leave if they are on the edge and may not meet the stress test standards. Makes the banks position stronger.

I'm glad I paid my mortgage off 10 years ago....  :muching_out:   

• Matt R. likes this

#1945 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

Between 2006 and 2016, the population grew by 11.4% while housing increased by just below 11.2%. Between 2011 and 2016, the population grew by 6.7% while housing increased by less than 3.19%.

Residential construction lags behind Victoria's population growth: census

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1946 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:45 AM

It applies to anyone who wants to renew their mortgage where they want to increase it, ie tap into the increased equity in their property. Or if you change lenders. 

Its a hostage situation for the banks, clients cant threaten to leave if they are on the edge and may not meet the stress test standards. Makes the banks position stronger.

I'm glad I paid my mortgage off 10 years ago....  :muching_out:   

This will also push people into non-bank lending scenarios.

Know it all.

#1947 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:52 AM

And that’s just the market at work. Non bank lenders are already growing by 25% per year.

https://www.google.c...r-mortgages/amp
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1948 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

It's also an industry that will face significant challenges as banking and lending regulations change. We could, theoretically, see a near fizzling out of independent mortgage brokerages by 2025/2030.

There's a lot of interesting stuff that happens when you secure a mortgage via a small brokerage or an independent broker. The brokerage could also suddenly disappear on you in five years when the market changes. That doesn't build consumer confidence.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.

#1949 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

I think a lot of this market is driven by people cashing out of Vancouver, coming here, buying a similar house and putting $2 million in the bank.  There is no other reason why the market suddenly took off 18 months ago, but if someone can come up with other reasons I'm all ears

I don't see the influx of off island money stopping anytime soon.  There might be a lot of people complaining about high housing prices or stress tests, but I don't see it having an effect on the market.  Also real estate developers wouldn't be continue breaking ground on towers and subdivisions if the market was cooling

#1950 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:13 PM

"Expanding the population growth and new home construction window to ten years, Victoria’s population grew 11.4% between 2006 and 2016 while the supply of housing increased by less than 11.2%."

It would seem that residential construction is exactly keeping up with population growth, not sharply lagging.

Edited by LeoVictoria, 25 October 2017 - 09:21 PM.

#1951 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

It's also an industry that will face significant challenges as banking and lending regulations change. We could, theoretically, see a near fizzling out of independent mortgage brokerages by 2025/2030.

There's a lot of interesting stuff that happens when you secure a mortgage via a small brokerage or an independent broker. The brokerage could also suddenly disappear on you in five years when the market changes. That doesn't build consumer confidence.

When you are the customer, borrowing the money, who cares where it comes from?  Someone will always be in charge of making sure you pay it back.  And as long as you do diligently, they will let you keep renewing too.

#1952 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

Between 2006 and 2016, the population grew by 11.4% while housing increased by just below 11.2%. Between 2011 and 2016, the population grew by 6.7% while housing increased by less than 3.19%.

Based on this and supply and demand principles prices can only go up then

#1953 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

Based on this and supply and demand principles prices can only go up then

Keep in mind census is a tad old....supply is slowly catching up.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1954 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

I think a lot of this market is driven by people cashing out of Vancouver, coming here, buying a similar house and putting $2 million in the bank.  There is no other reason why the market suddenly took off 18 months ago, but if someone can come up with other reasons I'm all ears

One of the reason, but I don't think it is the sole reason. How do you explain the much bigger (percentage wise) run up from 2002 to 2007?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1955 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

"Expanding the population growth and new home construction window to ten years, Victoria’s population grew 11.4% between 2006 and 2016 while the supply of housing increased by less than 11.2%."

It would seem that residential construction is exactly keeping up with population growth, not sharply lagging.

Depends which housing figure is being used as a measure, though: increase in the number of dwellings, or increase in the number of dwellings occupied by usual residents? For example, the number of private dwellings in Oak Bay increased by 68 from 2011-2016, but the number of number of dwellings occupied by usual residents decreased by 27. Population increased by 79.

#1956 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

A housing market needs breathing room, i.e. you do not build 1:1 housing-to-population growth if you want a healthy and balanced housing market. What we have today is an unbalanced housing market.

1996 - 2001: 9.12% housing increase, 2.5% population increase

2001 - 2006: 9.32% housing increase, 5.83% population increase

2006 - 2011: 7.7% housing increase, 4.4% population increase

2011 - 2016: 3.2% housing increase, 6.7% population increase

For the first time in 20 years (if not longer) housing construction has actually lagged population growth, and by a significant margin. Expanding that to ten years, when we still had a significant increase in supply over population growth, the disparity over the last five years was so great that it still showed higher population growth than the growth in housing supply.

Know it all.

#1957 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:47 AM

And yet every multi-unit development proposal in the CoV is being scrutinized for being too dense. How do so many people not understand the basics of supply & demand?

#1958 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:50 AM

Oh the concept is very well understood, but that is not a concern to those who are already in the market and already established.

Know it all.

#1959 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:52 AM

A housing market needs breathing room, i.e. you do not build 1:1 housing-to-population growth if you want a healthy and balanced housing market. What we have today is an unbalanced housing market.

1996 - 2001: 9.12% housing increase, 2.5% population increase

2001 - 2006: 9.32% housing increase, 5.83% population increase

2006 - 2011: 7.7% housing increase, 4.4% population increase

2011 - 2016: 3.2% housing increase, 6.7% population increase

For the first time in 20 years (if not longer) housing construction has actually lagged population growth, and by a significant margin. Expanding that to ten years, when we still had a significant increase in supply over population growth, the disparity over the last five years was so great that it still showed higher population growth than the growth in housing supply.

It isn't 1:1 either because more than 1 person lives in a house. Having said that, home occupancy ratios have been dropping in Victoria in recent years. Maybe a solution is to mandate that you cannot live in a unit by yourself! I am sure that the lefties who advocate car sharing and job sharing will be all over that!

#1960 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

... I am sure that the lefties who advocate car sharing and job sharing will be all over that!

What "lefties" are advocating job-sharing? Where does one even find a job-share? Having part-time employees seems more like a corporate initiative than one driven by the "people".

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users