• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:18 PM

Savoy is cool.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:43 PM

Retail would have been inappropriate here. though I wish that as townhomes they were closer to the sidewalk.

Has anyone experienced residential living without a setback?

When I had my St. John's houses, one was right on the street.. the Living Room... no "semi-private space" and no Jane Jacobs type step possible...

The other was set back by the width of a small porch and had a bay window in the living room.. This one had just enough space to sit out on the steps and take the sun.. and chat with the neighbours... who could step off the sidewalk and chat..

Privacy was a considration in both.. accomplished by blinds on the no setback one and wooden shutters 1/2 way up the bay windows on the other..

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:08 PM

I am not saying it needs to be dropped to 0 but Victoria has often ridiculous 6 and 8 metre set backs. My place in James bay was about 3 metres and that seemed perfect. Close enough that the building face engaged the pedestrian but so so close that people were leaning on your front door. The only reason I left that place was to buy a place, of course I am a big fan of people if you don't like other humans then I wouldn't recommend it.

Also approach to the door is problem with this building. That low wall should be removed and have individual paved walkways to each door.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

Has anyone experienced residential living without a setback?

Define residential.

See my avatar, see my home.

#25 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:30 PM

The other was set back by the width of a small porch and had a bay window in the living room.. This one had just enough space to sit out on the steps and take the sun.. and chat with the neighbours... who could step off the sidewalk and chat..

I lived in a duplex for a few years with a similar setback, I sure got to know the neighbours quick that way, I miss that place.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:45 PM

I wish I had a castle turret. I'd live up there with my wench and gnaw on joints of roast beef.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#27 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

In our old house on Sutlej (now a field) we set up furniture out on the front lawn and a couch on the front porch and used to make a point of hanging out there to try to infuse the street with some semblance of neighbourliness. We grew some kitchen herbs out near the sidewalk to encourage people to come by and pick a sprig on their way home from the store. Trying to overcome the setback.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#28 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:44 AM

I wish I had a castle turret. I'd live up there with my wench and gnaw on joints of roast beef.

I'm a vegetarian. :oops:

#29 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

In our old house on Sutlej (now a field) we set up furniture out on the front lawn and a couch on the front porch and used to make a point of hanging out there to try to infuse the street with some semblance of neighbourliness. We grew some kitchen herbs out near the sidewalk to encourage people to come by and pick a sprig on their way home from the store. Trying to overcome the setback.

When I first moved into my potential "Jane Jacobs front step" house, it had the 6 ft setback paved.. I found out later that the "travesty" happened when the City had redone the carriage way and re-built the sidewalks under neighbourhood renewal stuff..

Some people accepted the asphalt.. Found out later that one of the neighbours with a similar wee grass patch said "No thank you". Another re-coated his every year..

My first year there I hung out a hanging basket... and to the surprise of my neighbours it didn't get vandalized.. The next year I tore up all the asphalt and put in raised beds and flowers.. It inspired others to do similar things.. still recall heading out to catch a plane one day in early June and my tulips were blooming through the overnight snow..

in the 8 years I lived there, I only had one bit of vandalism... and if I had been quicker or cooler to react, I suspect it probably wouldn't have happened.. Young woman with baby carriage went up the street and admired the only black tulip in the display.. Before I could reach out and give it to her... she said.. That won't be there tomorrow.. I was too slow... she was too quick and I reacted by not giving it to her.. It was gone later in the day..

Anyway.. having the flowers to tend was as good for meeting the neighbours almost daily as having to shovel snow is for that in the winter...

Getting back to Victoria and this thread... I see so many examples of potential "Jane Jacob's front steps" as applicques to new buildings.. ranging from Selkirk Tounhomes, Shutters, City Place, Fort Street, Johnson Street.. even the Railyards along the Goose.. none of the front yards are large.. I don't know if they meet the size one needs to make an "outdoor room" feel and function right.. but, I sometimes see large gas bbq's there.. ???

Enough rambling..

#30 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

At the risk of derailing this thread even further from Cherry Bank or Victoria, but to follow up on Icebergalley's "guerilla gardening" activities, you all have to watch the video on this [url=http://www.landliving.com/articles/0000001188.aspx:28a2f]Land+Living page[/url:28a2f]. Pay close attention -- there's something a little different about Sean Canavan, the guerilla gardner profiled here...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

Interesting subject in my opinion. I think one of the worst example at least WRT usage is the townhomes just to the north of Cook Street Village. I have yet to see a person on those decks.

It has a whole new look!

#32 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:27 AM

^That's the old two-storey multi-unit they renovated a couple of years ago. You're right. They built these enormous suburban-style decks out front that serve no purpose except to store junk.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#33 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:42 PM

I think the same waterfall from the ad for this building is being used on the Juiet site!! They must be having a problem with the Image Generator. As many of you are aware the Slogan Generator has been plagued with problems for years.

http://www.julietliving.com/

http://cherrybank.ca/

It has a whole new look!

#34 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:37 PM

They've changed that Juliet site dramatically, no?

#35 Photogirl

Photogirl
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

^ They sure have!

It used to have floorplans, images, etc. Now it looks like just a registration page. Maybe they are doing a 2nd grand opening?

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:11 PM

The Condo Web Page Generator™©® is a more sopisticated machine than the Condo Name Generator™©® we're all familiar with.

There are more input parameters with the CWPG, for instance with the photos you choose from "Cafe couple--chai or latte, young and hip or senior but still funky?" and of course, waterfall spring or fall? And of course "Sunset strolling couple--breakwater or seashore". Then you choose your theme, Urban Hipster, Old World Charm, Nature at Your Doorstep or "Mystery Grab Bag".

Mystery Grab Bag is the cheapest option, but beware--the developers of the Wing chose it and they ended up with a flying kayak, so choose with caution.

#37 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:36 PM

rad

#38 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

haha awesome Holden West.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#39 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

The Savoy (built ca. 1975) is getting surrounded by new developments!

#40 Photogirl

Photogirl
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:59 PM

The Condo Web Page Generator™©® is a more sopisticated machine than the Condo Name Generator™©® we're all familiar with.

There are more input parameters with the CWPG, for instance with the photos you choose from "Cafe couple--chai or latte, young and hip or senior but still funky?" and of course, waterfall spring or fall? And of course "Sunset strolling couple--breakwater or seashore". Then you choose your theme, Urban Hipster, Old World Charm, Nature at Your Doorstep or "Mystery Grab Bag".

Mystery Grab Bag is the cheapest option, but beware--the developers of the Wing chose it and they ended up with a flying kayak, so choose with caution.

LOL! awesome :lol:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users