Twitter | X Corp Inc.

• Please log in to reply
1760 replies to this topic

#1701 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,078 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 10:42 PM

I think my favourite part, in all seriousness, was Putin not understanding American elections.

"It is a two stage electoral system, it is very difficult for us to understand."

Yes, democracy is a little tough. Various levels of governments, fail safes, checks and balances. Russia isn't familiar with that sort of thing, obviously.

Russia has or had term limits but Putin somehow managed to manaouever around them all until he just changed the damned law.  That El Salvador guy is doing something slightly similar.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 February 2024 - 10:44 PM.

#1702 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,078 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 04:02 AM

Fox News had decided not to cover the interview story.

#1703 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 07:53 AM

Awkward for them, understandably.

Also, not much of real value in that interview. But at least Carlson tried. We finally saw Putin isn’t gravely ill. That was a theory floating around for some time. Had a frog in his throat, however.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1704 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 08:52 AM

He acted the way I suggested he would - calm, collected and rational. He wasn't trying to convince anyone that his actions in the Ukraine were just or reasonable, he was trying to show them that in a multi-polar world he was a better choice than Trump or Biden. The audience wasn't the US or Western Europe, it was the 70% of the global economy that is going to be forced to pick a side.

Contrast this interview with the one that was happening at the same time between Biden and US reporters challenging his mental fitness. While Putin spent 30 minutes reviewing Russian history in painstaking detail, Biden can't remember the names of his own staff. Think the history lesson wasn't intentional?!

My favorite party was the showing of the Canadian parliament standing and applauding the SS/Nazi war criminal.

#1705 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 08:57 AM

Spanky, maybe you say a different interview.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1706 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:00 AM

^ My point is that he gave the history lesson to show that he is a statesman and intellectual and not to try and sway anyone's opinion on the war. Contrast that approach with Trump and Biden.

Edited by spanky123, 09 February 2024 - 09:03 AM.

#1707 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:02 AM

Spanky, maybe you say a different interview.

Well I was very disappointed with it anyway...  I watched it on someone's link where they would pause it and say "What a brilliant question", "was that answer a slam on (insert whatever)".  Kind of annoying commentator..  Also not as great going through interpreter.  Maybe someone will do they AI translation for it like they did the Argentinian fellow...

#1708 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:08 AM

In less than 24 hours, 125M people have watched the interview on Twitter alone. For context, that is already 10M more than the number which watched the Superbowl last year.

By any account, this was a huge coup for the Kremlin.

#1709 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:09 AM

In less than 24 hours, 125M people have watched the interview on Twitter alone. For context, that is already 10M more than the number which watched the Superbowl last year.

By any account, this was a huge coup for the Kremlin.

Was it you think?  I'm not sure how great the interview was.  Didn't make me think Putin or the Kremlin was any different...

#1710 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:10 AM

It’s important to watch the full interview, to not get a convoluted re-run by a commentator.

Putin is very conspiratorial. Blames everyone for everything. Holds grudges and thinks history dating back a thousand years is relevant to Ukraine being invaded.

Know it all.

#1711 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:13 AM

I would rather watch the Barbie movie….
  • Nparker, Matt R. and Ismo07 like this

#1712 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:13 AM

It’s important to watch the full interview, to not get a convoluted re-run by a commentator.

Putin is very conspiratorial. Blames everyone for everything. Holds grudges and thinks history dating back a thousand years is relevant to Ukraine being invaded.

The commentator just jumps in from time to time..  It's the full interview...  Yes Putin blames, like any other politician.

#1713 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:16 AM

^ My point is that he gave the history lesson to show that he is a statesman and intellectual and not to try and sway anyone's opinion on the war. Contrast that approach with Trump and Biden.

I know, it was cringey.

99% of the world doesn’t care about Slavic history dating to the 800s. Him trying to one-up Carlson with a history lesson was only a flex to his friends.

Know it all.

#1714 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:40 AM

I would rather watch the Barbie movie….

You weren’t the audience they were targeting. The audience they want are the professionals in India, China, Turkey, etc who now account for 70% of the world’s economy. Get them thinking that an investment in Russia or China is less risk than one in the US or Western Europe.

#1715 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:47 AM

You weren’t the audience they were targeting. The audience they want are the professionals in India, China, Turkey, etc who now account for 70% of the world’s economy. Get them thinking that an investment in Russia or China is less risk than one in the US or Western Europe.

That's probably the most accurate take on it I have heard yet! 

#1716 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,078 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:47 AM

They are not 70% of the world economy.

#1717 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,078 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:49 AM

IMG_1727.jpeg

#1718 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 09:51 AM

They are not 70% of the world economy.

Your argument is how you account for GDP. Your chart normalizes everything to USD whereas most economists value trade by domestic currency.

#1719 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 February 2024 - 10:17 AM

If its normalized, it's a better measure, no?

Anyways, Mike's point sounds exactly like Trump: "Putin is very conspiratorial. Blames everyone for everything. Holds grudges and thinks history dating back a thousand years is relevant to Ukraine being invaded"

#1720 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 February 2024 - 10:17 AM

Oh yeah, that's an interesting way of looking at it.

In short what Spanky is saying is the 3.73 trillion in India carries much more value, per dollar, than in the US.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users