Photo

[Vic West - Victoria] Bayview One condo | 35m | 11-storeys | Built - completed in Mar 2009

• Please log in to reply
383 replies to this topic

#341 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:47 PM

It reads:

PH904
2 Bed
1368 sq. ft.
$2,484,000 original price
$1,199,000 new price
$877 per sq. ft.
SAVE $1,285,000
ADDL HST as of July 1st $139,350

There goes that HST saving the consumer money again ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#342 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

I wish Vanderzalm would work as hard to repeal the property transfer tax that he imposed, as he is doing with the HST.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#343 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

HST is saving them money - they don't buy the product in the first place - a savings of 1.2 Million by putting a 139K surcharge on.
"I know nothing"

#344 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

It reads:

PH904
2 Bed
1368 sq. ft.
$2,484,000 original price
$1,199,000 new price
$877 per sq. ft.
SAVE $1,285,000
ADDL HST as of July 1st $139,350

Correct me if I am wrong, but my math calculates it as follows:

$1,199,000 sale price

$83,930 (PST portion of the HST, ie 7%, you had to pay the GST @ 5% anyway)
-$26,250 HST rebate

=$57,680 additional tax caused by HST - typical scare tactics by the realtors.

#345 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

Reposted from another thread:

We are relocating to Victoria in a couple of months and are looking at a rental in Baywiew ( not the Promontory).

Does anyone have any experience of living in this development?  Would like to hear the positives and negatives to help us make a decision.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#346 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

The penthouse is for sale! It is two combined suites - over 4000 square feet!  :bow: 

http://www.realtor.c...ertyId=14564000

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#347 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:29 PM

Big sale today

Bayview%2BSale.jpg

• D.L. likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#348 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:00 AM

What's up with the strata fees listed on that? $1? lol

• Nparker likes this

#349 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

6 parking spots. Is that correct?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#350 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:39 PM

The strata fees would be close to 2k per month and yes 6 parking spots sounds about right.  There are one bedroom units in the building with 2 parking spots.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#351 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

Bayview has a seagull deterrent installed on their roof. It makes imitation bird noises to keep the seagulls from nesting.

Last year the noise alternated between "furious raptor" and "maimed seagull in distress". They had it set to go off every ten minutes 24/7. It turns out that the noise bylaw doesn't apply since it is based on decibels, not annoyance. After much work and a letter to their council they "solved" the problem by pointing it away from Promontory.

This time around someone has set the squawker to go off once per minute, again running 24/7. The sound has changed to "furious robin protecting the nest". Even after complaining last week, the building manager says they're thinking about it.

Most people probably think the noise is an actual bird, though most birds probably aren't active at 3AM.

I'd expect that reasonable people would understand that making loud and purposely annoying noises in urban areas isn't a good idea. They don't seem to be in any hurry to turn it off after a complaint, or even adjust the frequency to something less than 1440 times a day.

#352 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:50 PM

Well you could live in a rural environment and hear the propane cannons going off every minute to scare the birds away from the blueberry fields.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#353 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

It makes me wonder why you couldn't have one or two autonomous little rover things randomly scooting around. Solar powered. On a large flat roof like that one it would work, you think? If you want to get fancy you could actually have the rover detect a bird and then roll in its direction. Just to annoy the birds and get them to move and/or take off, not to hurt them.

#354 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:58 PM

I'm pretty sure there aren't any large blueberry fields in the neighborhood.

The idea of a solar powered Gullba ™ is not bad at all.

Many of the newer buildings downtown use simple flashing pieces of metal.

#355 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:17 AM

After a long hiatus of peaceful silence the Bayview Seagull squawker has returned.

About ten days ago, just after the window washers left, the squawker was turned on. It goes off for 15 seconds of every minute, 24/7.

I emailed a friend in Bayview almost right away. He promised to convey the message to someone in the building. I was hoping that the window washers had accidentally turned it off and that a quick flick of the switch would turn it off again.

So far no success. Last time around I wrote a letter to their council. I delivered it to the front desk concierge and asked that it be given to a council member directly since the building manager had been less than helpful.

It amazes me how difficult it can be to contact a neighboring strata council to ask them to be a good neighbor. The noise isn't loud but it is frequent and obnoxious. Think of a co-worker humming an off key rendition of Happy Birthday every work day minute. It wears after a while.

There aren't any seagulls on the roof. Once the Promontory's peregrine falcon took up residence the gulls seem to have looked for more hospitable locations.

#356 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:31 AM

Maybe that’s Mr. Mariash’s ringtone? He’s a busy guy.

/joke

Know it all.

#357 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:10 AM

...There aren't any seagulls on the roof. Once the Promontory's peregrine falcon took up residence the gulls seem to have looked for more hospitable locations...

I can believe that. I think almost all the seagulls in the region have taken up residence somewhere within 2 blocks of my home and practice their mating calls each morning starting around 5:30.

Edited by Nparker, 08 April 2020 - 10:11 AM.

#358 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:49 PM

Obviously, you need to invest in a peregrine falcon. Preferably one that can mate with the Promontory one. Get rid of some seagulls and rats to boot too!

#359 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 05:11 PM

An update on the squawker saga.

The device has been bleating every day and all night for almost five months. For those of you who want to hear it

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=oX_IL1lcfeg

See if you can find a comfortable volume when played every minute.

A cease and desist letter was followed by a trip to the Civil Resolution Tribunal. The adjudicator was very creative in the use of a loophole to deny the request. You can find the decision online.

There are now five people total in Promontory who are affected, some who have also complained to bylaw.

If you want to hear it in person, try standing by the Aquara construction trailer on Kimta or slightly up from the Shell station near the Edge condo.

Most people who hear the noise think it is a deranged bird. The Bayview strata refuses to use more neighbor-friendly options such a the falcon kites found on city hall or some of the Point hope buildings.

This week there has been a few hours of respite since the window washers turn the device off, probably because it is loud and annoying.

#360 m3m

m3m
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 05:56 PM

https://decisions.ci...index.do?q=Bird

The decision is above. The adjudicator found that it wasn’t a nuisance, as nuisance is legally defined. Hardly a loophole. The problem with bringing this action in the CRT is that the CRT can’t issue an injunction against the Bayview strata. Now, if you bring a claim in Supreme Court to seek such an injunction it won’t be issued either because the question of whether the device constitutes a nuisance will have already been decided res judicata

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users