Victoria radio stations

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

Slightly off topic, but I get a daily e-mail from Alan Cross, check this out, ouch:

http://ajournalofmus...e2f57d-82394477

Weekly Music Sales Report and Analysis: 23 May 2014

I’m a bit late again, but this time my excuse is that I’m on the other side of the International Date Line this week, which means I have no idea what day it is.

Let’s start in Canada where year-to-date album sales are now down 7% from 2013, which marks and improvement from where things were last week. CD sales continue to suck (as they will for the rest of their existence), down 8% from last year.  Digital albums are behind by by 8% and digital tracks are soft by 12%.

So with digital sales even down so much, it means that either more people are finding ways to steal it, or they are using streaming random play services (where the artist makes between 1/2 of one cent and 8/10 of one cent each time you hear it) or a subscription service where the artist makes a bit more.

It's amazing how fast things are changing,

The US numbers are worse, where they have access to more streaming services than we do:

Looking on the US side of the border, year-to-date album sales are down 16% from this point last year, as are digital album sale.  Digital tracks are down by 12% from 2013.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

Jack's Wheel of Meat contest has been absolutely hilarious to listen to. It's even lead to a petition against the station and the contest by a group in Croatia, giving Jack the idea to add a vegan option of a frozen bag of vegetables if someone prefers to win that instead. Classic.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:00 AM

Fall 2014 local radio ratings here in Victoria... 

CBCVFM (CBC Radio)  17.0% market share - 72,400 listeners 
CFAX   10.3% market share - 62,000 listeners 
CHBEFM (Kool fm) 7.4% market share -  63,300 listeners 
CHTTFM   (Jack fm) 3.7% market share -  35,100 listeners 
CIOCFM (The Ocean fm)  6.0% market share - 42,000 listeners 
CJZNFM (The Zone fm) 7.2% market share - 46,100 listeners 
CKKQFM (The Q fm)  14.8% market share - 66,000 listeners 

• Mike K. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:12 AM

^ what qualifies as a listener? Tuning to the station for longer than x amount of time?

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:19 AM

^ what qualifies as a listener? Tuning to the station for longer than x amount of time?

For at least 15 minutes in the past 7 days.  And I left out the out-of-town listenership (ie. Vancouver listeners to Vic stations or internet listeners outside of the CRD.

#26 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:37 AM

For at least 15 minutes in the past 7 days.  And I left out the out-of-town listenership (ie. Vancouver listeners to Vic stations or internet listeners outside of the CRD.

Thanks! I added to the the metric on the Q then :P. Is anyone surprised at these numbers?

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:44 AM

Thanks! I added to the the metric on the Q then :P. Is anyone surprised at these numbers?

Well, indirectly you did, just by living here and allowing for the extrapolation of the numbers to the un-sampled.  But if you did not fill out a diary back in September and October, you did not directly add to the results.

#28 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:59 AM

I still don't believe metrics gathered that way are very accurate.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:07 AM

I still don't believe metrics gathered that way are very accurate.

They've been doing it for decades, it's proven.  Not even a little shakier now with other ways to get music, they have never tried to measure your ipod music listening vs. your radio listening.  Just like they did not measure your tape or cd listening before.  

I know nearly a dozen radio salespeople in this town.  None of them doubt the stats, not one has ever suggested there is any inaccuracies or bias.  And this is while they try to sell me airtime.  I've made Victoria radio buys for probably 15 years, for three different companies.  They will pick them apart to show them in the best light (ie. your Zone or Kool salesperson will show you their impressive 19-24 stats, if that's your market).

#30 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:11 AM

How many 19 year olds are filling out radio diaries? 

Are radio stations that stream online using web-listenership in those metrics? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:22 AM

How many 19 year olds are filling out radio diaries? 

They correct for this.  They are professional statisticians, they know what they're doing.  The most important thing, they are trusted by the industry.

#32 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

There is a reason major markets are switching to PPM.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:35 AM

There is a reason major markets are switching to PPM.

Cheaper (to calculate results, not collect them) is one reason.  Faster and even real-time is the main reason.  All PPMs have exposed is higher-than-anticipated TV viewer-ship in group environments, more specifically live sports at a bar or restaurant.  Other than that, their results have not varied from diaries.

#34 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:37 AM

Cheaper is one reason.  Faster and even real-time is the main reason.  All PPMs have exposed is higher-than-anticipated TV viewer-ship in group environments, more specifically live sports at a bar or restaurant.  Other than that, their results have not varied from diaries.

No? http://online.wsj.co...903798218018792

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

I've done the diaries three times I think now over the last decade or two. Everyone in the household marks down their listening habits. The last time my diary was pretty skimpy because I really only listen to classic rock for a few minutes if I'm driving or CBC for half an hour or so in the morning and evening. 

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

The margin of error is still tricky with both.

http://www.brayandpa...ple-meters.html

Having said all this, an experienced radio buyer does not go into the purchase only taking the numbers into account.  If he or she has purchased in the same market before and truly understands sales results for the company they are buying for, the numbers are a small factor.  I guess a national buyer leans more heavily on the numbers provided.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:27 PM

Jeremy Baker exits The Zone at 91-3

Congratulations from Puget Sound Radio to Jeremy Baker who will exit The Zone Victoria and head back to the lower mainland where he will be the new Drive jock for CFOX Vancouver. He replaces Greg Beharell who is on his way to San Francisco to do Drive at Live 105. Jeremy Baker starts with CFOX January 5th 2015.

MORE: http://www.pugetsoun...-zone-victoria/

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:15 PM

Big step up for Baker and he totally deserves it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:56 PM

Former Q morning show producer Mike Evenson was killed in a car accident early this morning outside of Kamloops. 

Mike, a 37-year-old, is survived by his wife and two children.

#40 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 742 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:26 PM

Was looking  on 103.1 Jack FMs website and noticed no more Ian Slipp on the morning show.

Looks like he was let go 2 weeks ago.

He was a nice guy, but that's the radio business.

http://www.pugetsoun...torias-jack-fm/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users