Victoria radio stations

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:24 AM

Yeah he's gone. Too bad, he was a good host.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

Victoria's Jack FM has become KiSS 103.1
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

^So if I understand correctly, the new KiSS 101.3 will be stuff like Bruno Mars, Katy Perry and Michael Buble while Ocean FM will have a much different format, playing artists like Michael Buble, Bruno Mars and Katy Perry while Kool FM will play a format featuring music by Katy Perry, Michael Buble and Bruno Mars?

Edited by Rob Randall, 24 February 2015 - 05:25 PM.

• Nparker, sebberry, Matt R. and 2 others like this

#44 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:54 PM

^So if I understand correctly, the new KiSS 101.3 will be stuff like Bruno Mars, Katy Perry and Michael Buble while Ocean FM will have a much different format, playing artists like Michael Buble, Bruno Mars and Katy Perry while Kool FM will play a format featuring music by Katy Perry, Michael Buble and Bruno Mars?

All great...if you're my 16 year old daughter. I was interested to read the article which quotes Crash Davis (holy moly is he still around? He must be 101 by now): http://www.timescolo...103-1-1.1773299

My father was in the industry for 20+ years in Victoria and through him I got to know many on air personalities here, in Vancouver and even Seattle. Talk about a cut-throat industry and a landscape massively impacted by changing demographics and advancing technology. Its virtually unrecognizable to anyone who worked in the industry prior to 1995.

A few months ago I had lunch with a very well known Vancouver on air personality who has been in the biz for almost 35 years, starting out at CKDA then moving on to CKLG/the Morning Zoo, CFMI and the Shore. In spite of the pedigree and serious "name factor" recognition he is now on his 4th radio station in that market in less than 5 years due to consolidation and media buy-outs. Made me feel good by noting "good thing you didn't follow in the old man's shoes!". Indeed. 

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:44 PM

So be it I guess.

Jack has been poor in the ratings lately for sure.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:00 PM

Didn't we have a Kiss FM before?  I think it was 98.5 before it became The Ocean...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:58 AM

Hmm, which could be why it was renamed as such?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 Ben

Ben
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

Didn't we have a Kiss FM before?  I think it was 98.5 before it became The Ocean...

There is 106.1 Kiss FM in Seattle

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

I contacted the Ocean and they said Kiss was not the previous name of 98.5.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#50 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

Hmm.. that might have been it.  I'm thinking back to the mid 90's. 

The Ocean was CFMS.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#51 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

No, immediately before it was the Ocean, 98.5 was CFMS easy listening. "Candlelight and wine".

There is 106.1 Kiss FM in Seattle

There's almost 70 Kiss FM stations.

#52 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

Formats are so generic compared to 15 years ago when you had (in addition to the Q and the Zone):

103.1 HOT which was more pop-dance-urban IIRC

107.3 Extreme which played alternative rock

98.3 Ocean which still plays contemporary pop

Now all three seem to be playing more or less the same playlist. 

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:49 PM

Perhaps it's cheaper to play mainstream pop music than it is to play music from alternative or more obscure labels? I dunno.

Know it all.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:59 PM

Perhaps it's cheaper to play mainstream pop music than it is to play music from alternative or more obscure labels? I dunno.

Cheaper?  You have to go after the largest market.  I tell ya, there are about 20 radio salespeople in this town, all going after a limited amount of advertising dollars.  It's a tougher sell when your competition show advertisers the numbers one way, then you try to show another.  But any which way you showed Jacks number, they were not too good.

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

Every Monday on Kiss is commercial free.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:16 AM

Here is how the US bought music in 2014:

According to new RIAA stats, the retail value of the US industry fell under $7bn in the year, to $6.97bn. Although essentially flat, that’s less than half the pre-Napster industry high of $14.6 billion in 1999.

Interestingly, streaming income, which rose 3.2% to $1.87bn, overtook CD income for the first time – which fell 12.7% to $1.85bn.

Paid subscription was up 25% to $799.1m, while ad-supported ‘freemium’ revenues – including YouTube – increased 34% to $294.8m.

SoundExchange collections from streaming personalised radio services such as Sirius XM and Pandora, were up 31% to $773.4m.

The dominant format in the US continues to be downloads. In 2014, combined downloads of singles and albums took around $2.6 billion, down 8.5% on 2013.

Vinyl albums shot up 49.4% to $314.9m

http://ajournalofmus...9876df-82396397

#57 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:56 AM

A FB friend was mentioning this morning that buying only a few songs counts as an "album" and is reflected in Billboard album chart placement. Billboard has this complex algorithm that incorporates all of the above when compiling their charts and it seems to be getting more complex over time as new ways of distributing music are invented. And I have heard stories of artists receiving royalty cheques for pennies from streaming services. 

Still, while the industry is in turmoil, the music itself has changed very little over the last decade or two. There were vast changes between the music of 1955. 1965 and 1975 but can you say there has been a substantial difference among the music of 1995, 2005 and 2015?

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:04 AM

And I have heard stories of artists receiving royalty cheques for pennies from streaming services. 

Yes, that's right.  But if my song plays on the radio, daily on Kool FM, and that reaches 10,000 people every time, how much do I make?  Tiny fractions of a penny from each listener through SOCAN frees the radio station pays.

So while the artist money from CD purchases and even downloads is pretty decent, streaming has to be compared to radio more, and artists don't like to do that.  They want to complain.  But the fact is, it's their management companies and record companies that agree to the rates, nobody is forcing them to make their music available to Spotify, Pandora, or even YouTube.

Taylor Swift decided to leave streaming:

http://www.dailymail...-Shake-Off.html

When Taylor Swift decided to pull her music off Spotify earlier this month she said she was unhappy that listeners could stream her songs for free.

Yet based on the number of streams that her massive hit Shake It Off enjoyed during the month of October, Spotify will have paid out somewhere between $280,000 and $390,000 in royalties for that one song alone.

The popular music streaming service has repeatedly come in for criticism from musicians who claim that it doesn’t pay them enough for their craft.

In the wake of Swift’s departure, the company’s CEO Daniel Ek was quick to point out that Spotify had paid more than $2 billion to music labels and publishers since 2008, while illegal downloads don’t provide any revenue for artists.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz3UqQHQmBP 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Spotify only has a 12.5M customer base, and Swift was going to get $300k a month from them, for playing her song 43M times in one month.

If every terrestrial top-40 or country-pop radio station in the US plays her song once per day, at least 43M hear it every week.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:13 AM

Still, while the industry is in turmoil, the music itself has changed very little over the last decade or two. There were vast changes between the music of 1955. 1965 and 1975 but can you say there has been a substantial difference among the music of 1995, 2005 and 2015?

Not on mainstream radio, there are still the same number of stations there was in 1995.  Limited space.

But now the internet (that was not really around for most in 1995) means you can listen to thousands or tens of thousands of more artists now, and you can even search by genre or popularity, or regions.  Your choice has widened ridiculously.

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

Pop music was always controlled by the radio stations. What we consider music from the 50's, 60's, 70's, etc., is what the radio stations and record companies wanted us to hear so we tend to associate those decades/eras with only specific sounding music. Meanwhile there was just as much creativity and just as many niches as there are today but they were much harder to tap into.

"80's" punk was already a thing in the late 60's but few would ever know it. 

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users