• Please log in to reply
2560 replies to this topic

#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Maybe love was in the air on the bridge?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:22 PM

^ That was funny

#23 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:33 AM

Propane Tank explosion wakes up Victoria

Saanich Police say a worker suffered a minor injury a propane tank explosion at a construction site in the area of Cloverdale and Inverness.

It was just before 6:30 when the tank exploded in a shipping container. The blast woke up a large region of Greater Victoria.

[...]

CFAX article

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

✪ BREAKING (literally)

Cfax1070

The primary water main going into the city has burst, causing a significant flood, traffic headaches, and a closure along the Old Island Highway.

View Royal Fire is now on the scene assisting CRD officials pump water off the roadway. Chief Paul Hurst says, at its worst, there was about four feet of water covering the road.

The Old Island Highway is currently closed between Helmcken and Burnside. Hurst says they hope to have enough water pumped out to open the highway to westbound traffic by around 3:45 this afternoon.

The water main has been closed, but Hurst says it could be well into the evening before the scene is cleared

No homes are being affected, and CRD staff say water in the area is still safe to drink.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

"The Old Island Highway is currently closed between Helmcken and Burnside."

help me, exactly where does the Old Island Highway come anywhere near Burnside? the Helmcken/ Burnside intersection is all the way over on the other side of the TCH.

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Here:

Burnside Road W meets Island Highway at TCH:

http://goo.gl/maps/vDEOM

#27 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

help me, exactly where does the Old Island Highway come anywhere near Burnside? the Helmcken/ Burnside intersection is all the way over on the other side of the TCH.

Underneath the Thetis Rail Overpass is where Burside rd begins or ends
So if you are driving down the Colwood strip heading to Victoria you will get to the lights at the Thetis Railway overpass the right lanes take you to the onramp to the TCH .
The left lane takes you straight through under the Railway over pass and as soon as you pass under it you are on Burnside Rd W

Watermain break was at the red pin

#28 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

aha...a map explains it. iffy directions on the radio however, to anyone driving without access to the same. i think i would have gone with "closed between Helmcken rd and the access to the TCH" since Burnside does not intersect with what was the portion of the Old Island Highway in question.

another challenge to put out there, also from CFAX last week...."accident at McKenzie and Tillicum". maybe Tillicum and Admirals?

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:07 AM

Ya, I mapped it when i heard it on the radio too. Strange way to describe it. I would have said "...from Helmcken to the Old Island/TransCanada interchange". Or "...the Trans Canada/Colwood interchange that is actually in View Royal and north of Colwood." :banana:
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#30 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

also from CFAX last week...."accident at McKenzie and Tillicum". maybe Tillicum and Admirals?

I heard that one too and it had me scratching me noggin

#31 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

yikes, now i'm just adding to the confusion. i visualized Gorge and Admirals but for some reason it came out Tillicum and Admirals, my bad. good thing CFAX and I aren't 911 dispatchers, nobody would get help......

#32 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

Had to call the ambulance at 3:00 this morning for Mrs. Sparky's Mom who was having a medical distress. The paramedics that arrived were the best that I have ever seen.

What a professional operation. My hat goes off to these fine people.

#33 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

^ Couldn't agree more. I had to use their services for the first time last January and they were calm, efficient and what you would expect from a professional.

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hope all is well, Sparky :)

#35 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Thank's Seb, I think she fell and busted something but she wouldn't fess up. We will know more later today.

#36 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

^ Couldn't agree more. I had to use their services for the first time last January and they were calm, efficient and what you would expect from a professional.

I've a relative in the service who has recounted a few examples of the stress they can expect. If the second call they were on today involved being caught in rush hour traffic behind ten idiots who can't figure out that "move to the right" means THEM, after a frantic mother has told dispatch that their baby isn't breathing...trust me, your situation is probably easier to deal with.

That they are collectively so consistently calm and efficient speaks volumes for their training programs and promotion criteria.
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Major call-out to Juliet tonight, building briefly evacuated, no sign of injuries, or fire for that matter.

wEpBwZvpRao

#38 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

having watched the mayor of Calgary talk his community through their worst disaster ever with calm, reason and humour, I wondered who will take that role when the big earthquake hits Victoria. will many mayors talk to their separate constituents?

#39 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

This might be a little awkward to explain:

The roof of an upscale Beach Drive home was destroyed in a blaze early Wednesday morning that seriously damaged the residence.

The fire at 57 Beach Drive began just after 1 a.m., said Oak Bay police Deputy Chief Kent Thom. A friend of the tenants was the only occupant, looking after the home and dog while the family was out of country. Thom said the man, in his early twenties, put a cigarette out in a planter on the deck around 11 p.m. and went to sleep.

[...]

http://www.timescolo...e-home-1.341031

#40 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

A friend of the tenants was the only occupant, looking after the home and dog while the family was out of country. Thom said the man, in his early twenties, put a cigarette out in a planter on the deck around 11 p.m. and went to sleep.

Dude, you had one job.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users