The Victoria emergency (fire/ambulance) services thread

• Please log in to reply
2560 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

Are there that many more people at the beaches and lakes this year?

This year's swimming season is barely half over, yet there's been more than twice the number of drowinings than for the entire season last year.

No we are twice the year-to-date figure. Drownings got an early start this year.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

It's not the same period last year, it's the whole season.

A drowning in the Okanagan this weekend, along with the one at Thetis Lake, pushed British Columbia’s total number of drownings this summer to 43 — more than double the 20 deaths reported over the whole season last year, the RCMP reported Sunday.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#63 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

It's not the same period last year, it's the whole season.

You can't draw meaningful conclusions from short term changes like this. What's the trend line over the last, say, 20 years or so and is the current number above or below that trend and if so by how much? Given a regression equation and this year's figure we can calculate the probability of this year's figures occurring by pure chance.

Without that information the mere fact that this year's figure is two or three or whatever number you like means little. Perhaps last year was exceptionally low and this year merely a return to the norm. Or maybe it is highly significant. On the information given there is simple no way to draw a conclusion about it.

#64 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

The TC clip from 2012 seems to indicate 34 during summer 2012 as compared to 43 so far during summer 2013.

To summarize how I read that information:

July 2013: 43
July/Aug 2012: 34
July/Aug 2011: 22
July/Aug 2010: 24
July 2005: 2
2004: 27

That "20 deaths reported over the whole season" bit doesn't seem to jibe.

You can also go to the source to view their accidental drowning stats and get yourself even more confused:
http://www.pssg.gov....lreport2010.pdf

Nothing seems to add up.

Edited by aastra, 10 October 2022 - 09:39 AM.

#65 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

How do you know everyone was foreign?

After we were alerted to the problem we walked over and talked to them.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

RBC at Mariner Mall in Sooke is on fire.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#67 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

RBC at Mariner Mall in Sooke is on fire.

CFAX reporting that the RCMP has confirmed that it is an arson.
:mad:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#68 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

People getting all fired up about it.
It could have been an electricl fault too.
People are all too quick to blame fires on people before they have even had a chance to investigate.

Just like the BC forest service always blaming humans for starting forest fires but NEVER explaing how humans have started them.

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

1471154_692961930723482_1115380142_n.jpg

Just about 20 minutes ago.  Two restaurants there, behind the truck is an Indian place.

#70 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:34 AM

Fort between Douglas and Blanshard. It looks like it's coming from the "Taste of India" restaurant just behind the fire truck. Under control but the all three units in the building are affected. Lots of smoke in the area. Whole street blocked off.

Edited by Holden West, 18 November 2013 - 09:34 AM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#71 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Fort between Douglas and Blanshard. It looks like it's coming from the "Taste of India" restaurant just behind the fire truck. Under control but the all three units in the building are affected. Lots of smoke in the area. Whole street blocked off.

Deputy fire chief on CFAX says it's Pho Vy.

#72 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:00 PM

Pic from twtter.

#73 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

There was a fire at Tuscany Village.  Thrifty's is closed, due to water damage.

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

When did this happen, phx?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

Sometime today.  They were cleaning up the mess when I went to Thrifty's at 6:00.

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

It got fixed by mid-evening.

#77 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

Anyone know what the fire department was responding to around 2am this morning? It sounded like the whole Fort street station ran lights and sirens down Oak Bay or to the hospital.

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

Anyone know what the fire department was responding to around 2am this morning? It sounded like the whole Fort street station ran lights and sirens down Oak Bay or to the hospital.

Late last night a man fell off the Johnson Street bridge, after climbing the girders. He has now died. 

Police say there was no indication of foul play, and he may have been part of a group at the bridge, that witnessed the fall, and that there is some concern that this was simply a prank gone wrong.

But I think this was around 11:30pm.

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

....“A number of people who appear to have been climbing with the deceased man were questioned,” said Victoria police spokesman Const. Mike Russell. “But [they] are not co-operating with the police investigation.”

The man’s identity has not been confirmed, police said. He is estimated by police to be 25 to 35 years old....

http://www.timescolo...bridge-1.713486

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

About a month ago I was walking across the bridge when I realized some kids were up there urinating onto vehicles (and thanks to the wind, pedestrians). Not cool. Really with the number of people who climb this bridge at night and likely under the influence of alcohol or drugs a deadly fall was bound to happen.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users