Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Ouch!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#42 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

Apparently he did NOT put out the cigarette.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#43 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Anyone know what the big fire by the Johnson Street Bridge was?

It has a whole new look!

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

What time of day?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

Anyone know what the big fire by the Johnson Street Bridge was?

I think it was deliberately set by some kids, or at least that's what I heard on the scanner.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

I guess about 4pm? Smoke was billowing over downtown. It smelled like wood burning.

It has a whole new look!

#47 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

It was on Radio news

#48 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

Heard it was the area behind Northern Junk Buildings.
A common area for people to hang out for drinking smoking and copulation.
Not necessarily in that order and yes I have witnessed it all over the years.

#49 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

grass fire - http://imgur.com/WIE3303

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

Henderson Road was closed today due to what appeared to be either a fire or another incident requiring the services of a fire department. Police had closed Henderson off at Cedar Hill X and at Foul Bay Road.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

^ natural gas leak, Fortis called for assistance from Oak Bay Fire.

#52 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Times Colonist:

1999:

The body of a boy, believed to be 14, was pulled Monday afternoon from Thetis Lake, one of the most popular swimming holes for Victoria-area residents.

The victim was believed to be a Chinese exchange student, visiting the lake with a group of exchange students.

A Taiwanese university exchange student at Thetis Lake with her class drowned in July 2006. Responding fire, ambulance and other emergency crews were heckled and pelted with beer bottles from drunk male youths at the scene.

The [2006] drowning death of a 24-year-old Taiwanese student who barely understood English could prompt significant changes in what type of warning signs are displayed at Thetis Lake Regional Park.

Park manager Christine Morissette said it is "very likely" that text signs warning of environmental dangers, such as steep drop- offs, will be replaced with graphic signs more easily deciphered by those who have limited understanding of the English language.

#53 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

"emergency crews were heckled and pelted with beer bottles from drunk male youths at the scene. "

What the hell?!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#54 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

I was there for that one in 1999, scarily similar sort of situation to what I've heard about the drowning a couple days ago. Where there was a language barrier preventing the kids from communicating what was wrong. And honestly, they were far too timid in trying to communicate the gravity of the situation. From where I was, people were convinced that he had gone missing in the woods around the beach so people were going out searching. It took a while to come out that, no, he was missing in the water.

(I can't remember if he was out swimming or had fallen in off the railings).

#55 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

A drowning in the Okanagan this weekend, along with the one at Thetis Lake, pushed British Columbia’s total number of drownings this summer to 43 — more than double the 20 deaths reported over the whole season last year, the RCMP reported Sunday.

TC Link

Why the spike in drownings, I wonder?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#56 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

From past issues of the TC:

August, 2012:

The B.C. Coroners Service is urging people to be cautious on the ocean, lakes and rivers after 34 people drowned - including nine on Vancouver Island - in the past two months

On Friday, coroner Barbara McLintock released statistics showing 34 people drowned between July 1 and Aug. 24, up from 22 people in July and August 2011 and 24 people in the same months in 2010.

August, 2006:

A total of 27 water-related recreational deaths took place in 2004, 13 of which involved swimming, according to the most recent annual statistics available from the B.C. Coroners Office.

"We see too many needless deaths," she (Rose Stanton, regional coroner for Vancouver Island) said, noting there were only two swimming-related drownings in B.C. in July 2005.

#57 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

We were at Shawnigan Lake a few years back and at a very small public access road end a Chinese kid drowned. We were all sitting on a dock about 50 yards away and didn't know anything was wrong until an ambulance and fire truck showed up. There was a group of 4-5 foreign nationals there and they didn't say a thing or shout for help or anything.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

We were at Shawnigan Lake a few years back and at a very small public access road end a Chinese kid drowned. We were all sitting on a dock about 50 yards away and didn't know anything was wrong until an ambulance and fire truck showed up. There was a group of 4-5 foreign nationals there and they didn't say a thing or shout for help or anything.

How do you know everyone was foreign?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#59 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

TC Link
Why the spike in drownings, I wonder?

More people swimming due to the warmer weather.

#60 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

More people swimming due to the warmer weather.

Are there that many more people at the beaches and lakes this year?

This year's swimming season is barely half over, yet there's been more than twice the number of drowinings than for the entire season last year.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)