The Victoria emergency (fire/ambulance) services thread

• Please log in to reply
2560 replies to this topic

#401 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:11 AM

Bad luck for that block.  Wouldn't a business have fire detectors monitored by an alarm company? $40,000 is quite a hit.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#402 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,154 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:01 AM

^ Not necessarily, it depends on the size, the occupant load, use, and when it was built.

#403 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

To not add a smoke detector to a monitored security system seems silly to me. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#404 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:25 AM

To not add a smoke detector to a monitored security system seems silly to me. 

Exactly.  That's what I mean, just add it into your security (intruder) system, does not have to be built into any other building fire system.

Or heck, even a stand-alone..

http://www.slashgear...-wifi-08300586/

Smart thermostat company Nest has revealed its second intelligent home device, the Nest Protect, a WiFi-enabled smoke and carbon monoxide detector. Aiming to do the same for home safety as the original Nest does for HVAC control, the Nest Protect tracks potential perils, warns you with both an spoken audio alert and pings to your iOS or Android device, and even notifies other Nest equipment so that they can respond too.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#405 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:59 PM

From CTV Vancouver Island

This afternoon, an awning blew off a downtown Victoria building. One person was taken to hospital. Injuries are unknown at this time.

10473541_385950498219146_886953098734565

Hmmmm, that awning has been sitting unsecured, on the shelf of the parkade for months.   Someone should have secured it.  Hopefully it just knocked the person down, and did not bonk them hard on the head.

#406 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,154 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:22 PM

^^ Too bad that Nest detector is not approved for use in Canada.

#407 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

^^ Too bad that Nest detector is not approved for use in Canada.

Even if it's not part of any other system, it's just stand-alone?  Extra.

#408 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

Home Depot on Shelbourne was blocked off again today.  Drove past it about 30 minutes ago.  People standing outside, parking lot blocked, etc...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#409 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,154 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

Even if it's not part of any other system, it's just stand-alone? Extra.

It's not ULC approved so has not been subjected to Canadian testing.

#410 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:41 PM

It's not ULC approved so has not been subjected to Canadian testing.

What I mean Sparky, am I not free to install any electronic gadget I want on my premises as long as it does not interfere with the mandated safety systems?  If I want to install a stand-alone device that detects, say, rock music, or rainfall on my roof, is that not allowed, even though it's independent of my other life safety systems that are all 100% approved and certified as working correctly?

#411 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

Sure you can, but when the unapproved device itself shorts out and catches fire, you may have an issue with insurance...

• Nparker likes this

#412 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,154 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

Ok let's discuss three separate catagories.

1- All electrically powered life safety equipment that is "sold" in Canada must be "approved" by the Underwriters Laboratories of Canada. "ULC" This prevents products that "appear" to save lives but have not been tested and approved for use in Canada to be sold to unsuspecting customers. This even applies to battery operated smoke alarms.

2- Other electrically powered devices. "Hot Girl" detectors for example, must be CSA (Canadian Standards Assiciation) approved for sale for use in Canada. If it plugs into an electrical outlet this standard applies even if it uses a power supply that reduces the voltage.

3- The only electrical devices that I know of that are not required to be tested and approved by the above two agencies are battery operated devices that are not intended for life safety use.

#413 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

Sure you can, but when the unapproved device itself shorts out and catches fire, you may have an issue with insurance...

Not to mention, the vendor will be in substantial trouble as well.

#414 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

I wonder if this fire extinguisher was ULC certified.

https://www.google.c...viVOcbSANJ0CB0w
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#415 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,154 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

^ Too funny. That falls under the catagory of pilot error.

#416 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:29 PM

Pull

Aim

Squeeze

Spray everyone around the fire

#417 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:30 AM

Nine people were able to escape from a multi-suite heritage building in the Fernwood area of Victoria after fire broke early this morning.

Around 5:55 a.m. a resident in a neighbouring suite smelled smoke and when he went to investigate found that flames were spreading

in a business on the second floor of the building at 1290 Gladstone Ave., said Victoria Fire Department battalion chief Paul Kowalyk.

http://www.timescolo...ments-1.1490330

#418 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 11:51 AM

A house fire in East Sooke this morning killed an 85 and 83 year old couple.

#419 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:40 PM

A dog died in a fire early this morning on Cecelia Street. 

#420 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

Mattress fire...

Cigarette? Candle? 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users