Photo

The Victoria emergency (fire/ambulance) services thread

• Please log in to reply
2560 replies to this topic

#1861 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

I'm not sure if a cooking vessel is a boat with a large galley or a saucepan.

#1862 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,671 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:59 AM

The RMS Ti-pan-ic

• SimonH likes this

#1863 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

A homeless encampment on the shore of Rock Bay near the intersection of Bridge and Bay Street went up in flames on Sunday morning.

Victoria Fire Department Chief Gord Taylor said emergency crews received multiple 9-1-1 calls at 10:20 a.m. with smoke visible from nearby communities. “It was close to trees and other brush, creating a lot of smoke, which is why a lot of people noticed it and called it in,” said Taylor.

https://www.cheknews...morning-614734/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 October 2019 - 02:32 PM.

#1864 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:37 PM

A homeless encampment on the shore of Rock Bay near the intersection of Bridge and Bay Street went up in flames on Sunday morning.

Great job we're doing to end homelessness.
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1865 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:36 PM

Fire at Four Mile pub today. Lots of trucks on scene at about 245PM.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1866 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,671 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 02:43 PM

Why do all my old haunts seem to be catching fire?

#1867 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

Fire at Four Mile pub today. Lots of trucks on scene at about 245PM.

A fire that spread through the floors and walls at the Four Mile House Restaurant Tuesday heavily damaged the building, according to officials.

https://www.cheknews...w-royal-616255/

View Royal’s fire chief Paul Hurst said the fire was difficult to find.

“We couldn’t originally find the location because it got into the floors,” Hurst said.

“Once the floors and walls were open we managed to find it quickly and get water on it. Our concern obviously was that this fire was going to take off on us if we didn’t get on it quickly.”

No injuries were reported but Hurst said there’s extensive damage throughout the restaurant area of the building.

“The sprinkler system didn’t activate because the fire was in the walls and the floor. Crews had to pull most of the ceilings in the kitchen and they had to cut through the floors on the second floor and take down walls on the second floor to contain the fire. So damage is going to be in the high six figures.”

#1868 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:25 PM

Since traffic was so backed up as a consequence of the emergency personnel and vehicles fighting that fire, I got off my bus home after work at the Rail Yards and walked west the dozen or so blocks home, coming within 1.5 blocks of beating it to my usual stop. Vehicles were literally crawling along Tyee/Skinner/Craigflower as they headed into View Royal toward the general direction of the fire.

Infrastructure planning obviously isn't a regional strong suit so this doesn't surprise me, but I always thought it was a mistake when that section of the old highway to and through View Royal was upgraded a few years ago, perhaps rather than focusing on bios-wales and exotic desert fauna, VR should've strongly considered making it three lanes through there considering its a major secondary route in and out of the city core from VR/Colwood/Langford/Metchosin etc. Should be even more fun in future if and when that 500-unit Christie Pt development is approved.....

• Nparker likes this

#1869 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:43 PM

^ Or use the highway.  VR choked the route on purpose (as I am led to understand) so that people wouldn't use it as an artery (nice try).

#1870 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:00 PM

^ Or use the highway.  VR choked the route on purpose (as I am led to understand) so that people wouldn't use it as an artery (nice try).

I've no doubt about that, heh: I wonder though if mayor Screech and the VR council think that has worked particularly well, you know, in retrospect?

• Nparker likes this

#1871 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

I went through there at about 2:10, everything was slow moving but as I was getting past the site northbound a fire truck blocked the southbound lane and jammed traffic up pretty good. The fire fighters were wandering around looking for the fire and the trucks were just sort of milling about.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1872 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:05 AM

I've no doubt about that, heh: I wonder though if mayor Screech and the VR council think that has worked particularly well, you know, in retrospect?

Given the traffic levels that persist on that route, I'd guess they'd think it hasn't worked particularly well.  ;)   Maybe the McKenzie Interchange will attract more people to the TCH when it's done.

#1873 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:22 PM

Smoke on the horizon...

DSC01888 gc.JPG

DSC01889 gc.JPG

• todd likes this

#1874 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:24 PM

can you triangulate that point on a map? break out your compass and protractor set.

if you don’t have one there should be one in the fire hose / defibulator cabinet in your hallway. break the glass.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 October 2019 - 05:44 PM.

#1875 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:32 PM

That church you see in the second pic is on Fisgard (at Quadra), then past that is Balmoral.

Edited by Gary H, 31 October 2019 - 06:58 PM.

#1876 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:35 PM

My guess is somewhere in Fernwood or possibly beyond, in Oak Bay.

#1877 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 05:42 PM

by now aastra would have 16 lines overlayed on a map.

it’s a climate emergency after all.

#1878 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

Probably was one of the Halloween bonfires...

https://www.timescol...ires-1.23993194

A giant bonfire will pop and crackle to life at 5:30 p.m. in Fireman’s Park, adjacent to the Oak Bay Police Department and firehall. There will be hot dogs, hot chocolate, a Halloween costume contest and a chance to spray fire hoses.

#1879 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

Well I hope they bought a carbon offset, there is a price on pollution don't ya know.

• Nparker and todd like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1880 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

Witnesses Sought In Customs House Construction Site Arson

Victoria, BC – Investigators are looking for witnesses after an early morning arson at a construction site that may have caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage.

Just after 1 a.m. this morning, Victoria Fire Department firefighters and VicPD Patrol officers responded to a call for a fire at the construction site for the Customs House building, at 816 Government Street. VFD firefighters extinguished the fire, which appeared suspicious in nature. While there were no injuries, damage to equipment on site has the potential to cost tens of thousands of dollars. Victoria Police Detectives working in concert with Victoria Fire Department fire investigators believe that the fire was deliberately set.

Officers are looking to speak to any witnesses or people who may have knowledge about the fire.

If you have information about this incident, please call our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654. You can report what you know anonymously by calling Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users