The National Post

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:19 PM

Unnecessary to perpetuate some idiot's tweet.....

Really?  It's one thing me re-tweeting it to my lousy 13,600 followers, but it's another NP writing a 750-word story on it, then not even showing the tweet.

Poor Cuthbert, she was the subject of another tough remark, not online, but on air by Sean Avery once:

http://nesn.com/2012...o-dion-phaneuf/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:29 PM

And yes, that is also part of the reason why Avery is one of the most despised NHLers by both his peers and the public.  I will agree to disagree with you but not continue the discussion.

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:37 PM

OK, no problem.  But look, if the national newspaper decides to write a 750-word article about a random tweet that accidentally got on air - remember, this was not written by TSN staff, but simply passed through from a fan to their on-air feed in error -  then they owe their readers the benefit of seeing the tweet.  You can not simply leave out that part of the story if you plan to report the story.  It's simply not right.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:41 PM

The Sun has also run a long story with no actual reference to the tweet:

http://m.torontosun....et-aired-on-tsn

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:42 PM

Again I say you can not run a story about an error, a misjudgment, a horrific mistake without reporting what the issue was.

I know that you all know how to Google this up, so do most Nat Post and Sun readers.  They know this too.  So they try to separate themselves from it by letting comments be fought out over social media, way off their sites.  But they are comfortable in that they brought the issue to readers' attention.

For example, if you talk about the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, you have to talk about all you know about it.

The effect, not just the motivations of those who dropped it.  The big story is what happened on the ground.  Ya, we need to hear about the guys or country that dropped it, but the far bigger story we are interested in is how many people it killed, and how.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

The Vancouver Sun is also reporting the story without details of the tweet.

http://www.vancouver...8560/story.html

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:22 PM

This one shows the tweet in its entirety, as all news reports should:

http://lastwordonspo...-joffrey-lupul/

Hey, if you want to avoid this very little issue altogether, I'm great with you not reporting.  

But don't report half-halfheartedly, like the TC did today by placing this news item in their blogs section, as if to make it less mainstream.  They still placed a link to their main website, which they do rarely for the blog section.

#28 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:26 PM

Again I say you can not run a story about an error, a misjudgment, a horrific mistake without reporting what the issue was.

I know that you all know how to Google this up, so do most Nat Post and Sun readers...

Doing a very quick search, I found no major Canadian news outlets who quoted the offending tweet verbatim. This suggests to me there is a legal reason for not doing so.

I did find the issue to be covered well. Knowing the precise content of the tweet didn't make much difference to me.
  • Rob Randall and Matt R. like this

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:34 PM

Doing a very quick search, I found no major Canadian news outlets who quoted the offending tweet verbatim. This suggests to me there is a legal reason for not doing so.

BS, here is the tweet as it was placed and broadcast by TSN.

ee85.png

if there's any legal issue, it's that Bell Media screwed up, and they own 40% of the media in this country, and they pulled it to save their ass.

I'm happy that my masters at VV would never dream of taking this post down.

We've reprinted a twitter post.  Not one we were responsible for placing on national TV.

I'm confident the VV editors will consider this newsworthy, just like the CBC, NP, Star and Toronto Sun and Vancouver Sun articles on the subject.  But we will show the tweet that started all this - they won't.

#30 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:43 PM

I think you missed my point entirely. Good night.

#31 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

Here's what an editor handles this.

We know the gist of what was said. We also know that repeating it verbatim hurts the victim that much more. The editor says to himself, "will reporting the full tweet illuminate or give us additional meaning that outweighs damage to the victim?" In this case the answer is "no".

It's done case-by-case. There are instances where reporting every sick detail is essential in understanding the story. Ghomeshi's infamous Facebook rant was one, for instance.

• Benezet, Bingo, jonny and 1 other like this

#32 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:46 PM

I had no idea there were great whites, or any type of shark rather, anywhere around here. I thought the Orca population limited that, and the water was too cold for most sharks. Someone commented that great whites range as far north as Alaska! Found that very interesting.

While certainly not common this far north great whites have been known in the past to range in BC waters; a dead great white washed up ashore on the Queen Charlotte islands several years ago.

As the effects of climate change continue to manifest themselves, including presumably in general warming of the oceans, it is not unreasonable to expect increasing frequency of reports of these predators in our waters. We've seen on a less dramatic scale the appearance of other "warm water" species that normally have no business being here. Two years ago while fishing out of Bamfield we hooked not one but two Humboldt Squid within about 15 minutes - impressive at between 6-8 feet in length, feisty as hell, damned nasty disposition. Typically they are found from California south and are most commonly associated with the Sea of Cortez. Good eating though!

• Benezet and lanforod like this

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:04 PM

We know the gist of what was said. We also know that repeating it verbatim hurts the victim that much more. The editor says to himself, "will reporting the full tweet illuminate or give us additional meaning that outweighs damage to the victim?" In this case the answer is "no".

It's done case-by-case. There are instances where reporting every sick detail is essential in understanding the story. Ghomeshi's infamous Facebook rant was one, for instance.

No.  The victim can hardly be hurt here.  Look. First, go ahead and Google image serach "Elisha Cuthbert naked" with your safe search off.   She's a big, fabulously famous girl, she's used to all kinds of sh&t.  She's seen all of that.  She is not hurt by this.

There is no "every sick detail" here in my report, it's tame.

We are talking about substantial, lengthy articles in MSM here that avoid the very subject of the article.  I've already said they are free to not run the article, if they don't want to.  But don't run it with the very central detail to the article missing, the piece we all want to see.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:18 PM

The editor says to himself, "will reporting the full tweet illuminate or give us additional meaning that outweighs damage to the victim?" In this case the answer is "no".

How about this.  The editor should say to himself, "will reporting the full tweet allow our readers to understand what exactly the tweet said, compared to us not even hinting what it contained in any way?". Especially since the entire basis of this article is the tweet.  

In this case, the answer is "yes".

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:40 AM

On the flip side the MSM will dwell on countless other issues and make a stink over nothing at all.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#36 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

How about this.  The editor should say to himself, "will reporting the full tweet allow our readers to understand what exactly the tweet said, compared to us not even hinting what it contained in any way?". Especially since the entire basis of this article is the tweet.  

In this case, the answer is "yes".

No, my point is, the entire tweet doesn't add much if anything. Newspapers say its a disparaging remark involving a married couple and another man, it's obvious what's being said. If the tweet merely mentioned an affair it might have been proper to report it verbatim but it was so crude and vulgar. The bar should be set high for including stuff in that category. The Internet is full of unpleasant details on various news stories I can research further if I'm so inclined. The alleged sluttiness of the victim is irrelevant.

I know this clashes with your libertarian let-the-cards-fall-where-they-may belief system and I'm unable to change your mind. That's OK; you're just more of a provocateur and boundary pusher than moderates like me.

• Mr Cook Street and Daveyboy like this

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:30 AM

No, my point is, the entire tweet doesn't add much if anything. Newspapers say its a disparaging remark involving a married couple and another man, it's obvious what's being said. If the tweet merely mentioned an affair it might have been proper to report it verbatim but it was so crude and vulgar. The bar should be set high for including stuff in that category. The Internet is full of unpleasant details on various news stories I can research further if I'm so inclined. The alleged sluttiness of the victim is irrelevant.

I know this clashes with your libertarian let-the-cards-fall-where-they-may belief system and I'm unable to change your mind. That's OK; you're just more of a provocateur and boundary pusher than moderates like me.

Maybe this is true.

But my issue is they could have just left the entire episode off their pages.  Not report it at all.  Every day, potential stories are cut from newspapers.  This could have been one of them.  And should have been one of them, if they were not prepared to report the full story.  But they knew other media were running with it, and it was going to get strong view-counts.  So they could not help themselves.  In the grand scheme of things, it's hardly an important story.

Maybe it's a bit like the click-bait "stories" many newspapers run under their regular stories, paid ad space on their own website pretending to be news stories.  They must hate them, but they get lots of revenue from them.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

See, I have to side with VHF here. The MSM is having a field day over this tweet. If you don't intend to publish the piece of information your story is based on, don't run the story.
  • tedward likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

^No, it's probably newsworthy, as it could escalate further and an editor doesn't want to be caught flat-footed. You put yourself in the mind of the reader who wants to know what all the fuss is about without getting their hands dirty. Like I said, if anyone feels they must know the exact wording they can easily explore the sleazier areas of the Internet. If there's a sexual assault in my neighbourhood I want to know about it but I don't really want to know the colour of her underwear.

#40 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:09 AM

Maybe this is true.

But my issue is they could have just left the entire episode off their pages.  Not report it at all. 

Well, I don't find hockey very interesting, backroom gossip about hockey less so, and tweets about backroom hockey gossip even further down the list. The interesting aspect is who actually wrote it and whether it was an "official" TSN tweet. That's more a story on media communications and accountability than hockey.

Edited by Rob Randall, 04 March 2015 - 08:10 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users