Vanishing trees

• Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

#261 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:10 PM

Tree management on city property?

In areas where there are significant amounts of tree cover, it will be challenging to maintain these levels in the short- to mid-term. This is because a significant fraction of Victoria’s urban forest is getting elderly... The City’s street tree resource is particularly vulnerable to this demographic "bubble".

As this aging trend progresses, older trees will be replaced with young specimens at an accelerating rate. This will result in a temporary reduction in over canopy levels for a time, increasing again as this new cohort of trees matures.

Tree management on private property?

Victoria city council is accelerating plans to save the city’s trees and prevent residents from rushing to chop them down before tougher regulations take effect.

Councillors initially agreed last month to protect any tree with a trunk diameter over 60 centimetres instead of the previous 80 centimetres.

Last week, however, they decided to go even further and reduce the size of protected trees to anything over 30 centimetres.

Edited by aastra, 25 October 2019 - 03:11 PM.

#262 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:51 AM

contractor "vanishes" 93 trees.  

hard to know how that happened.  trees are kind of sensitive these days.

Nearly 100 trees mistakenly felled in Saanich park

‘For this to happen is just devastating,’ councillor says

https://www.vicnews....n-saanich-park/

i'm not sure it's so "devastating" though.  they can be replaced.  we destroy thousands of trees every day in this province.  maybe tens of thousands daily.

Dozens of trees cut down by mistake in Saanich park

https://www.timescol...park-1.24172649

Since specific reforestation programs began in the 1930s, over 7.5 billion trees have been planted.

https://news.gov.bc....restation-in-bc

In 2016, about 259 million trees were planted and, for 2017, about 266 million trees are planned to be planted.

that's 709,000 tress planted daily.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 July 2020 - 05:54 AM.

#263 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:32 AM

I've mentioned accidental tree choppings a few times in this thread. There's also the phenomenon whereby mysterious vandals chop trees.

#264 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:35 AM

I gotta say, I'm surprised nobody here commented on the similarities between the tree management plans in Victoria and St. Albert, Alberta.

#265 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:46 AM

That was good. Hey, it's Friday at 4 pm, are you going to sit around at work and write a tree management report from scratch?

#266 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 18 July 2020 - 07:08 AM

College of Forestry doesn't know anything about tree preservation:

July 23, 2019
CNN

An Oregon university let loggers harvest a 420-year-old tree. The school says that was a mistake.

Oregon State University has temporarily stopped harvesting old trees in its research forests after a Douglas fir that was around 420 years old was cut down.

Cutting down such an old tree -- part of a stand of trees in the school's McDonald and Dunn Research Forests, near the university's campus in Corvallis -- was a mistake, a school official acknowledged.

The harvesting of the more than 400-year-old tree, as well as other trees in the stand between 80 to 260 years old, occurred a little over a month ago. It's part of the logging activities conducted in the university's research forests that generate about $1 million a year in revenue for the College of Forestry.

Davis said people who use the forest for recreation were concerned that such old trees were being harvested and reached out to Davis and other school officials with their concerns.

Davis, in a letter to the college community sent on July 12, wrote that a plan that results in the harvesting of such old trees means there is "a serious shortcoming in the college's current forest management practices."

So many unfortunate mistakes:

North Shore News
June 23, 2012

Cutting of old growth trees "disastrous mistake": biologist

North Shore conservationists are seeing red over the loss of a stand of old growth trees near Eagle Lake that was cut down in error by the District of West Vancouver to make way for an access road.

They blame staff reductions for the mistake.

West Vancouver engineering cut down 69 trees in November last year to make it possible to bring in heavy equipment for the municipality's Black Creek diversion rehabilitation project, an initiative to upgrade pipes that feed into the community's water supply. Twelve of those trees were old growth — some upwards of 700 years old — and were thus protected under the municipality's environmental guidelines.

etc.

Edited by aastra, 18 July 2020 - 07:11 AM.

#267 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

The CRD just cut down a few acres worth of trees along Highway 14 adjacent to the four lanes section so they could put in a large parking lot for the Sooke Hills Wilderness Park for hikers that ...need a place to park so that they can walk the park.

• Nparker, Victoria Watcher, Teardrop and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#268 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:22 PM

Just about every tree next to Christ Church Cathedral has been felled, where the labyrinth is. Simply awful, I'm sure they were massive oak trees.  :whyme: Surely they weren't all sickly? First of all they got rid of the hedge around there when the courthouse tent city occurred, I guess too many lurkers were hiding there. That hedge really kept the wind off that comes up the Quadra St. hill. My friend and I sat on the benches quite a few times over the summer as it was pleasant. Guess that's another place to go crossed off my list. 

#269 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:35 PM

Just about every tree next to Christ Church Cathedral has been felled, where the labyrinth is...

Pictures?

#270 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:07 PM

Oh sorry, I don't have a smart phone and was just out for a walk.

#271 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:11 PM

No worries mbjj. Hopefully someone will be able to snap a few pictures.

#272 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:34 PM

Just about every tree next to Christ Church Cathedral has been felled, where the labyrinth is. Simply awful, I'm sure they were massive oak trees.  :whyme: Surely they weren't all sickly? First of all they got rid of the hedge around there when the courthouse tent city occurred, I guess too many lurkers were hiding there. That hedge really kept the wind off that comes up the Quadra St. hill. My friend and I sat on the benches quite a few times over the summer as it was pleasant. Guess that's another place to go crossed off my list. 

https://www.christch...-to-three-trees

#273 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:37 PM

^

these folks picked up the tab!

https://www.charityd...118854165RR0001

#274 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:24 PM

In our case, we will be required to plant 6 new trees...

Six new oak trees?*

*don't be stupid, oak trees don't belong in Victoria

#275 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:36 AM

That's too bad about the trees. It will seem bare naked now. 

#276 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:21 AM

Six new oak trees?*

*don't be stupid, oak trees don't belong in Victoria

oak bay police should confiscate those

Edited by todd, 22 November 2020 - 08:35 AM.

#277 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:50 AM

from that link

"One way we can do this is to honour the ancient indigenous practice of returning the dying trees to their ancestral communities. Having lived their natural life, they will return “home,” where they will be used, amongst other things, to provide warmth and light. We have much to learn about not wasting the gifts of nature.  "

I guess no other cultures have learned to use a tree cut down for building houses, making furniture, for firewood, etc.    

• Nparker and LJ like this

#278 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:17 AM

Having lived their natural life...

Right up until the moment some human beings made the administrative decision to chop them.

#279 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:18 AM

It's odd that those two circumstances would coincide so conveniently.

Although... conveniently coinciding circumstances seems to be the theme in the year 2020.

#280 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:35 PM

It's odd that those two circumstances would coincide so conveniently.

Although... conveniently coinciding circumstances seems to be the theme in the year 2020.

Almost like it's all been planned and choreographed beforehand?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users