BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#701 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:31 PM

Reducing demand by increasing price really only hurts the poor that all y'all seem so concerned about.

You know, the ones that have to live outside of the city and are forced to drive as their commute because the bus pretty much sucks where we have deemed it appropriate for them to live?

The other ones that drive are never going to get out of their cars no matter how expensive you try to make it for them to park.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#702 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

Reducing demand by increasing price really only hurts the poor that all y'all seem so concerned about.

I think they are just talking about basic economics and market fundamentals, not who wins in any scenario. 

The bus might suck relative to driving your own vehicle but when you live in a non-core area you pay less for your property in large part due to that inconvenience. Unfortunately one of the drawbacks of becoming a "real" city is the inconvenience of transportation, but there remains no easy solution that is financially viable at the current stage for our city. 

People will be forced to adopt the new reality and open their minds up to less desirable options as our city evolves much like all large cities  Either that or make more money ;)

• jonny and Mattjvd like this

#703 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:13 PM

In other words parking is underpriced relative to demand. There is a price at which parking demand and supply would match perfectly.

Sorta like housing, why do some people have so much trouble with that concept?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#704 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:18 PM

I am certainly no free market fundamentalist.  Maybe there is an argument for government to subsidize parking whether by underpricing current parking or by building further supply whether or not it has a direct economic return.

On the other hand if prices rose to the level that current supply met demand then maybe the price would be high enough to encourage private developers to include a greater parking component.

This is essentially the argument that I have heard many on VV have made wrt housing. Basically that government interference to bring down price will be counterproductive because it will slow down creation in new supply.

#705 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,540 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:09 AM

I checked out the bike storage room at 755 Pandora and it too looks rather busy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#706 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:43 AM

I checked out the bike storage room at 755 Pandora and it too looks rather busy.

Sucks that it is on the ground floor though. This should have been retail space.

#707 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,540 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:33 AM

Right, it is somewhat peculiar that the bicycle storage is occupying prime ground floor space, but maybe it's a flex space that will eventually be converted into a retail space and the bikes moved down below?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#708 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

Corey and I met with Karen Jawl in that space and Corey asked about that.  BCIMC actually asked to have the space converted from retail to its current use because they foresaw the high demand for bike storage/shower facilities.  Can't say I didn't smile a bit when we heard that.

• Mike K. likes this

#709 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

The bus might suck relative to driving your own vehicle but when you live in a non-core area you pay less for your property in large part due to that inconvenience. Unfortunately one of the drawbacks of becoming a "real" city is the inconvenience of transportation, but there remains no easy solution that is financially viable at the current stage for our city.

I complain about riding the bus as much as the next guy (my complaints are really more about the people on the busses, not the busses themselves...), but really, our bus system is quite good. Some marginal improvements are needed in some areas, but if you live in the core, you are probably quite well served by reasonable standards.

#710 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:24 AM

Corey and I met with Karen Jawl in that space and Corey asked about that.  BCIMC actually asked to have the space converted from retail to its current use because they foresaw the high demand for bike storage/shower facilities...

It's still a terrible use of ground floor space.

#711 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:54 AM

It's still a terrible use of ground floor space.

Not according to the owners and clients of the building

• jonny and nagel like this
"I know nothing"

#712 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:08 AM

Not according to the owners and clients of the building

Perhaps, but not creating vibrant space at the ground level of office buildings was a mistake made in the past and I hate to see it being repeated. 

• LV likes this

#713 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

Perhaps, but not creating vibrant space at the ground level of office buildings was a mistake made in the past and I hate to see it being repeated. 

The space can changed back to retail and the key Pandora storefronts are still occupied (with Dobosala and Habit)

#714 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

The space can changed back to retail...

And hopefully soon.

#715 LV

LV
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:09 PM

I'm surprised to hear that Phase 2 of Capital Park didn't plan on putting in additional bike storage, since Phase 1 bike parking is jammed full and they already had to make some modifications to accommodate more bikes.  I'm also surprised that they were shocked at the demand, given the capacity of the office buildings and the parking situation in the area (3-4 nearby Robbins lots with year+ wait lists and the 1 Capital Park underground lot at $180/month for the employees).  The underground parking lot has quite a number of empty spots, in my opinion because it's so expensive.  (I know other cities are way more costly as is the downtown core/library area but still, this is James Bay, I find $180/month high for that location.)

Edited by LV, 30 May 2018 - 03:15 PM.

#716 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

...The underground parking lot has quite a number of empty spots, in my opinion because it's so expensive.

Perhaps a few of those empty spots could be converted to bike storage.

• tedward likes this

#717 LV

LV
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

Perhaps a few of those empty spots could be converted to bike storage.

Yeah maybe!  I'll be curious to see what the developer decides to do.. enlarge the Phase 1 bike storage room (a fully enclosed concrete structure - so, not the simplest of tasks I suspect) to accommodate the Phase 2 bicycles, or build a whole separate (albeit unplanned) one for Phase 2.  And maybe once Phase 2 is done, all the underground car parking spots will get utilized, but for now, they certainly aren't.  

#718 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:41 PM

Construction is really taking a toll on Superior and Michigan. The pavement was none too good before, but now it is truly deplorable.  I hope they repave that area when Capital Park is built out.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#719 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

Yes that’s it! The finalized marketing renderings are coming very soon.

Know it all.

#720 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:01 AM

They’re up to the second storey on the Phase 2 office building...

Attached Images

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users