Taxi / limo / car services

• Please log in to reply
472 replies to this topic

#381 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:32 AM

Surinder Kang, operations manager for Yellow Cab of Victoria, said taxi drivers took the news hard. “It feels like you’ve taken a left hook,” he said. “This will drastically affect the taxi industry. The companies that have built their goodwill and customer-service base and built up their shares will go down the drain.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.HXnYN9uI.dpuf

Victoria's cab companies have no goodwill built up.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#382 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

The hysteria is only in your head.
I like ride sharing, just pointing out that Uber is a disaster of a company. Heck the CEO just admitted how bad of a job he's been doing and that he needs to turn the company around.

Seriously? Except it's you that's expressing outrage and making slave labor comments! You need to reread your posts through a different lens

#383 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:38 AM

....that everybody uses and praises widely.   I've never heard anyone extolling the virtues of our local taxis, not any of the companies.  For a disaster of a company, everyone sure loves it.

An important reason why people use it is because it is cheaper. It is cheaper because the Government is not forcing them to use the same fee structure and limit hours of work like they do with taxis. I would have no issues as long as the playing field was level.

I find it ironic that people like Helps are championing the service when at the end of the day what it does it take ok paying jobs and replace them with sub-minimum wage ones.

#384 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

^ Being a taxi driver is hardly a profession to build your career on.  The only people making OK money were the cab owners.  Now a bunch of part-timers can supplement their other income, save up for a trip or a boat, or a Camosun College course.  Sounds fair to me.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#385 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

Seriously? Except it's you that's expressing outrage and making slave labor comments! You need to reread your posts through a different lens

No outrage here. You're reading way too much into it. I pointed out the Uber competes by underpricing their services and I don't think that is right. The comment about slave labour was a rhetorical point to challenge VHFs idea that as long as the consumer benefits it is good.
Where did I say I was against ride sharing in general?

Edited by LeoVictoria, 08 March 2017 - 08:45 AM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#386 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

If Uber fails, somebody else will step in. Clearly people love the model.

If Uber sucks as a company, drivers simply won't drive for them and they will fail.

Local taxi companies have had years to adapt. They were just given another 9 months by the BC Government. Have they done anything to change? Nope. Their cars are still filthy, you still have to call to order, the drivers still suck, the prices are still sky high, there still aren't enough drivers at peak times...it goes on and on.

I really don't get why so many Victorians refuse to side with consumers on this one. These must be people who don't use taxis often.

• rjag, Greg and shoeflack like this

#387 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

No outrage here. You're reading way too much into it. I pointed out the Uber competes by underpricing their services and I don't think that is right. The comment about slave labour was a rhetorical point to challenge VHFs idea that as long as the consumer benefits it is good.
Where did I say I was against ride sharing in general?

Why are you so convinced they undercut on pricing? Simply because they are cheaper than taxis?

#388 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

isnt this simply free market economics at play? Nobody is forced to be a cab driver, nor is anybody being forced to choose one company over the other. Its like Costco or Walmart vs the Market on Yates, all sell the same gallon of milk, its the consumers choice as to where they spend their money.

When cartels get involved to protect their industry what it does is hurt the consumer. Look at the maple syrup cartel and all the other supply management boards in Canada. Price controls only breed resentment, hence why so many Canadians run the border to buy cheese and milk and gas etc.

Air Canada was another example and now the cell phone companies are fighting to retain market share and keep out competition....its not to protect the consumer but their bottom line.

Edited by rjag, 08 March 2017 - 08:49 AM.

• jonny likes this

#389 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:51 AM

I can tell you that there already is a large handful of undercover unlicensed taxis in the Westshore every weekend now.  The "Drive me home" companies deploy extra drivers to act like cabs, no driving of the customers car at all involved.  Dial them up, they send a car to Darcy's, Brown's, Boston Pizza, Country Rose or Axe and Barrel or the Sheraton.   There is such a cab shortage out there it's crazy.

#390 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

I would argue that driverless cars might be what kills Uber. If they lose money now, how are they going to afford to pay for all that insurance, maintenance, vehicles, fuel, lawsuits, etc. Maybe they'll farm that out, too. We'll see.

#391 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

Why are you so convinced they undercut on pricing? Simply because they are cheaper than taxis?

Uber is privately held, which makes it hard to do any sort of deep dive analysis because we don't have a lot of insight into their financials. We don’t know what their overhead costs are, what their long-term forecasts are, what their marketing budget looks like, what their legal costs are, and so forth.

We do know that the old Silicion Valley edict is to raise as much capital as you can, grow as fast and as big as you can, and worry about turning a profit later.

Anybody who has been involved in a business start-up knows that start-up costs are significant. From legal and licensing issues, to recruitment and hiring, to marketing, there are a lot of up-front costs.  The legal uncertainty Uber has faced in many jurisdictions has certainly been expensive. Take Alberta as an example – they effectively shut Uber down a few months ago. That cost to Uber has got to be expensive. Multiply that across many jurisdictions in North America and Europe and factor in who knows how many $1,000/hour lawyers and you can get to hundreds of millions pretty quick. Maybe even billions.

#392 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

I would argue that driverless cars might be what kills Uber. If they lose money now, how are they going to afford to pay for all that insurance, maintenance, vehicles, fuel, lawsuits, etc. Maybe they'll farm that out, too. We'll see.

Actually Uber's CEO has stated many times that he would buy every driverless car available and replace all of his drivers if he could.

#393 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

Taxi fares are set by the City of Victoria. I don't know why people keep blaming the taxi drivers or cab companies for ripping them off. It remains to be seen whether Victoria and Vancouver require that Uber sets the same fares.

#394 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:35 AM

Taxi fares are set by the City of Victoria. I don't know why people keep blaming the taxi drivers or cab companies for ripping them off. It remains to be seen whether Victoria and Vancouver require that Uber sets the same fares.

How are they determined?

#395 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

That's why they're investing in driverless cars.   Badly, and they are being sued by Google for stealing their tech, but they are trying.

#396 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

I think the PT Board sets the rates.

http://www.ptboard.b.../taxi-rates.htm

#397 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

These are the guys that set the rates. Its not CoV

http://www.ptboard.bc.ca/

http://www.ptboard.b...CI_2016_CRD.pdf

Interesting article about the Bankruptcy of Yellow Cab in San Fran

http://www.marketwat...hole-2016-01-22

#398 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

All rates are regulated by City of Victoria bylaws and by the Passenger Transportation Board

http://www.yellowcab....com/rates.html

Edited by spanky123, 08 March 2017 - 10:08 AM.

#399 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

I still think the City has very little input on rates.  I suppose they may join or oppose the industry when they ask for changes.

#400 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

Lyft is expected to make a profit this or next year. So whether they undercut or not, that blows out your whole 'but they only undercut by spending investor money' argument.

Uber is different, trying a different approach. Ultimately, if they lose too much money, investors will bail. In the mean time, if Uber causes prices to drop and quantity and quality to increase here, all the better.

• jonny likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users