Walmart Supercentre stores in Victoria and on southern Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
551 replies to this topic

#321 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:19 AM

"As reported by Citified in February of last year, the new tenant earmarked for Hillside Centre’s former Sears space is indeed moving forward as the Capital’s third Walmart Supercentre location." If you just add "according to an anonymous source familiar with Walmart's thinking then you'd be like a big time NYT writer Mike.

• Mike K. likes this

#322 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:59 AM

Sourcing in media is a very important issue because it's the foundation of trust. Ideally, everyone should put their name on the record but there are times when the info's just too juicy (apparently Walmart secret intentions are fair game buy Harry and Meghan are off limits?)

ideally, you want to identify generally who the source is or where they come from. Is it someone in the development industry? A tradesman? A City official? This helps the reader evaluate the claim. I think one of the reasons the Anonymous book on Trump didn't catch fire is because we don't know if the author is a senior person like Javanka or Kelly-Anne or some junior assistant. 

Ideally you never go with a single source unless it's someone very trusted. How does the reader know the reporter isn't a victim of disinformation? For instance, if the source is a City official, it's unlikely the story is a disinformation plant by a commercial competitor. Always try to get confirmation from a second source. A good way to do this if nobody is talking is to say to your second potential source, "this is what I'm writing about, if there's anything false about it. tell me." That helps the story without the source getting their hands dirty. 

The NY Times and Washington Post, which Mike loves to disparage, will use a dozen or more sources for their major White House stories.

• Hotel Mike and Mr Cook Street like this

#323 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:29 AM

^And spectacularly get things wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong.

It’s time for the local media to dig beyond the leasing agent and head office. Just get to the bottom of this. If the space is being prepped for someone else, and we’re wrong, surely they have the wherewithal to figure out who the real tenant is.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#324 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

^ if that's what you did, just show your work. If you're basing this all on one or two folks who talked to you, not good enough.

#325 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:33 AM

In terms of timelines, note that Walmart/Hillside will require a Development Permit for any exterior renovations

#326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:53 AM

^ if that's what you did, just show your work. If you're basing this all on one or two folks who talked to you, not good enough.

Not sure I follow. Show your work?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#327 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:54 AM

Presumably, this means, name sources.

• weirdie likes this

#328 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:58 AM

If the sources all wish to remain anonymous, and not even referred to by their line of work or industry, wouldn’t that deny them the right to anonymity?

Anyways, everyone relax. This isn’t a big deal. It’s the city’s absolutely worst kept secret.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#329 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:46 AM

It is definitely something that I am looking forward to. I think this is going to really turn Hillside around and at the same time have some negative impacts on Uptown.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#330 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:49 AM

...I think this is going to really turn Hillside around and at the same time have some negative impacts on Uptown.

I think Uptown will be OK, as long as they don't lose any additional chain stores.

#331 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,071 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:52 AM

i don't know.  surely the largest increase in online purchases are the exact things the speciality chain stores sell.  so i'm not sure they have a bright bright future.

#332 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:25 AM

The Uptown walmart is so over the top busy they could use some relief

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#333 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:38 AM

It’s time for the local media to dig beyond the leasing agent and head office. Just get to the bottom of this.

Jesus, it's not like they're about to open the tomb of Tutankhamun.
  • sebberry, RFS and Victoria Watcher like this

#334 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,071 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

Walmart Supercentre coming to former Sears space at Hillside

Employee confirmed staff were made aware of new Walmart

https://www.vicnews....ce-at-hillside/

Wayne Popowich, managing partner of Canadian retail services for Bentall Kennedy, said there was no deal to lease the space at the time and that it was unknown if the former Sears space would be leased as one store or broken into smaller spaces.

On Thursday, Popowich said Bentall Kennedy has a commitment for the space but is unable to say anything more due to contractual obligations.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 January 2020 - 03:55 PM.

#335 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:06 PM

Digging.png

• Nparker likes this

#336 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,071 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:10 PM

New Walmart Supercentre coming to Victoria's Hillside mall

A Vancouver Island Walmart employee has confirmed that a new Walmart Supercentre is coming to the Hillside Shopping Centre in Victoria.

The employee tells CTV News that staff were informed of the new store during a staff meeting in late 2019.

Earlier that year, a different staff meeting suggested that a new Hillside Walmart location was in the works in the space previously occupied by Sears.

https://vancouverisl...-mall-1.4760647

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 January 2020 - 04:11 PM.

#337 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:15 PM

Digging.png

• Rob Randall likes this

#338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:38 PM

Oh brother. An employee? At the store? That’s the best BP could do?

I tell ya...

Know it all.

#339 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:12 PM

I find it so funny how only one media organization reached out to me, that being Bell. I had a nice chat with a producer.

Why does the rest of the city's media establishment pretend Citified doesn't exist? It's all so bonkers they way they anguish over how not to source information they all source from the same source, all of them. Bell/CFAX/CTV is the only organization that has in the past, and of course they are a huge supporter of Citified through the Friday morning CFAX roundtable. The TC even beats around the bush, calling Citified a 'blog' or merely referencing information sourced on the site as 'internet rumour,' or something else similarly diminutive when talking about us and trying to tell people Dockside Green isn't for sale (when Citified says it is).

Anyways, here you go, ladies and gentlemen, the best news of the decade and we're only nine days in!  :wave:

Know it all.

#340 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:55 PM

You just have to pretend you're familiar with the thinking of various politicians and you're in. I go example am a well known anonymous source because I'm familiar with the thinking of prince Harry since I met him once.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users