Walmart Supercentre stores in Victoria and on southern Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
551 replies to this topic

#341 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:04 PM

I am curious at what is in Canadian Tire's contract with the mall.   Hillside is one of their biggest stores in the country and part of a move by the company to expand the non-car part of the business.   As an anchor tenant at Hillside I would be very surprised if their lease did not give them a veto over something like WalMart.  Canadian Tire had a number of options and did not need to move to Hillside, who were stiffed by Target for a lot of money.   When they were negotiating no one was expecting Sears to close so add a veto to clause to the lease would have been a no cost concession to Canadian Tire.

#342 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,082 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:10 PM

they probably had a clause and so does thrifty foods.  but every company has a price and things got worked out.

#343 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:10 PM

Walmart was a bit of an exception in this case. Lots of people knew of Walmart’s plans but there was sensitivity around negotiations with Canadian Tire and Thrifty’s who also have contracts with the mall owners. The story was kept under wraps in case a deal could not be reached.

#344 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:27 PM

Like watcher says, everyone has their price. CT and Walmart are across the street from each other in Langford, and SuperStore is across from both of them, Lowe’s as well. There’s also Fairways, The Brick, Winners and Marks/Sport Chek/Atmosphere meters away. Everyone’s a happy camper.

The irony is in the city centre you’ve got to drive between several malls situated miles apart to visit all of those stores. In suburban big-box Langford they’re all clustered together and it works.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#345 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 06:48 PM

The best place to put your store is close to your competitor. People come to one store to look for something and will check the other store too. The more traffic drives sales. The same reason why most stores have easy returns, as it makes the person come back in the store, and a chance for them to buy something else.
  • Mike K. likes this

#346 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:21 PM

A multi-level parking structure where the old Sears garden centre was situated would make a lot of sense. 

Walmart has their own garden centers so they will probably use it for that.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#347 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

Possibly, unless this is something they sacrifice for the smaller footprint than the Uptown location and/or competition deal with Canadian Tire.

#348 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:31 PM

I've never seen that formerly dead corridor at Hillside (the one where BC Shaver is now, leading toward Shoppers/Sport Chek) as busy as it was this past December.

So are they planning some major alterations to the Sears space? I'd say the openness of the Uptown Walmart re: the mezzanine second level is part of the reason why people like it so much. I really didn't like the old Walmart/Woolco store. It felt dreary and enclosed, despite how big it was. But I actually don't mind going to the Uptown Walmart even if I'm just tagging along and not buying anything. Methinks the second level of Sears could be much improved if they punch out some windows here and there. Considering the orientation of the building (one face looks northeast and the other face looks northwest) you'd think it wouldn't have any negative impact on merchandise or whatever else.

#349 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:32 PM

They are very different stores. I would likely never buy a vacuum or paint at Walmart and would never by a computer at Canadian Tire. Both will be fine there.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#350 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:35 PM

Dude, they have huge overlap with small appliances, household supplies, hardware, toys and sporting goods, Christmas stuff, garden stuff...

• Rob Randall and Midnightly like this

#351 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:37 PM

They are very different stores. I would likely never buy a vacuum or paint at Walmart and would never by a computer at Canadian Tire. Both will be fine there.

If you'd buy a computer at Walmart, we need to talk... 

• Kapten Kapsell and Matt R. like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#352 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:56 PM

Also, hopefully the Hillside Walmart won't be so hard to find, as per this Google review:

Store could definitely use more signage outside, that's for sure! If we hadn't met someone to ask on the way there, we wouldn't have found it! Tucked away at the back of the mall with no signs visible on the outside of mall or approaching the area. Very unusual for such a big store chain!

#353 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:57 PM

Another one:

Awkward to find, park and then access

#354 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:01 PM

People today do know that they're allowed to rely on their eyes and their sense of direction to get around instead of staring down at their phones and shuffling around in slow motion, right?

Little tough to find believe it or not. If Google takes you to the parking upstairs, go past the elevator to find the escalators and stairs down which will lead you to it.

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#355 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:03 PM

I really don't know what to make of it:

Too all others that are not from here, don’t worry, your not lost, your just on top of it,

#356 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

Excuse me? I'm looking for a gigantic thing that's supposed to be around here? Can you tell me where it is and how to get to it?

You mean the gigantic thing that's right in front of you?

Yes. Can you tell me where it is and how to get to it?

You could maybe try... moving toward it?

• Mike K., Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#357 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,082 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:17 PM

classic.

#358 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:52 PM

To be fair, the "front door" of Hillside Centre is on Hillside Ave, and there's no tenant signage to speak of near the driveway entrances. You could see the Sears sign in the distance when driving down Shelbourne, but coming from North Dairy the boulevard trees obscure basically all of the building signage. 

#359 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:30 PM

Maybe I'm being unfair but it seems to me that any such confusion should only be relevant if you've never set foot in a city before and were completely unfamiliar with building complexes of any kind. I get it, Walmart at Uptown isn't just a singular large store sitting in the middle of a singular large surface parking lot. But I'm finding it hard to swallow that so many people would have no familiarity/experience whatsoever with shopping centres that don't follow the most basic suburban format.

Anyone who has difficulty finding Walmart at Uptown would surely be shaken trying to find a particular building on a large university campus. How about trying to find a particular small cafe in a historic district somewhere in the old world? That would be the stuff of nervous breakdowns.

• Nparker, lanforod, Brantastic and 1 other like this

#360 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:39 PM

Maybe I'm being unfair but it seems to me that any such confusion should only be relevant if you've never set foot in a city before and were completely unfamiliar with building complexes of any kind. I get it, Walmart at Uptown isn't just a singular large store sitting in the middle of a singular large surface parking lot. But I'm finding it hard to swallow that so many people would have no familiarity/experience whatsoever with shopping centres that don't follow the most basic suburban format.

Anyone who has difficulty finding Walmart at Uptown would surely be shaken trying to find a particular building on a large university campus. How about trying to find a particular small cafe in a historic district somewhere in the old world? That would be the stuff of nervous breakdowns.

Oh, my bad! I thought you were talking about the old Sears, not the Uptown Walmart.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users