148 replies to this topic

#61 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 04:09 AM

*Tickets starting at $128.25

On sale September 29. Presale 28.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 September 2022 - 04:09 AM.

#62 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:11 AM

This will sell out very quickly.

We will see I guess. They aren't selling out 'on Broadway' and that theatre is 2/3 rds the size of the Royal.

Edited by spanky123, 24 September 2022 - 10:13 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#63 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:33 AM

Indeed that price might not be a winner here.

#64 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 11:44 AM

^ I can see them selling out a show or two but twelve shows at 1,500 hundred tickets each is a stretch.

I think that entertainment is generally one of the first things that gets cut from budgets in a recession. Seeing lots of weakness in ticket sales across the board.

#65 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 03:58 PM

This promoters previous shows have all had 5 or so sold out shows per run, and Come From Away is a Canadian story with the script and music written by Canadian playwrights and musicians.

It also was somewhat of the toast of Broadway, which is a rather difficult honour to achieve.

This will easily be the biggest theatre show in Victoria in 2023, and will easily draw an audience locally as well as from up island and the mainland.

There reaches a point with these touring Broadway shows (usually around 6 or 7 performances in any given run in any given city) where all the bills are paid, and as long as your nightly gate exceeds your nightly labour bill, each performance after that is seen as a gravy train ... in other words, the last 5 or so shows in a 12 show run don't need to sell out for theatre, tour, and promoter to be making a crap-ton of money.

#66 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 04:19 PM

Yes. Very interesting.

How does the ticket price compare to Chicago, that ran a few years ago, that if I’m not mistaken was underwritten by Langford or west shore, of all places.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 September 2022 - 04:19 PM.

#67 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 11:10 PM

Anecdotally, I’m traveling with a group and many of them are from up island. All of them are buying tickets.

#68 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 05:53 AM

I think you'll find the great seats will only last a few days (if that), and the good seats will all be gone within a week of the tickets going on sale.

This show may not sell out the entire run, but it will be one of the most heavily attended theatrical events Victoria has ever seen.

• Nparker likes this

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 08:55 AM

I’m going to Boney M at the Royal in November.

Oh yeah!
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:40 AM

This will easily be the biggest theatre show in Victoria in 2023, and will easily draw an audience locally as well as from up island and the mainland.

They just completed a run in Vancouver did they not? From google it looks like there are multiple casts for this show as they tour different locations simultaneously. 

#71 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:45 AM

I think you'll find the great seats will only last a few days (if that), and the good seats will all be gone within a week of the tickets going on sale.

Could be. Add in the ticket fee and you are up to $150 a ticket minimum. If you go out for dinner beforehand that is probably another $100+. Makes it an expensive evening out for many couples.

#72 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:58 AM

In New York, with dinner for two followed by a popular Broadway show, the tag is between $500.00 and $600.00 Canadian (and easily much more for a difficult to get ticket).

But generally speaking, the cast of a tour like this one are debatably some of the finest performers on the face of the planet, and the production value, lighting, sound, staging, costumes, orchestra, etc is through the roof ... all to say, if you're at all into this kind of entertainment, this is as good as it gets, and it's $500.00 well spent.

#73 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 10:04 AM

Oh yeah!

This old boomer just learned Boney M is still around!

#74 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 10:10 AM

Oh yeah!

And it looks like about 1/2 the tickets are still available!

#75 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:39 AM

Any of you go see Hamilton when it hit Vancouver?

#76 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,767 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 12:26 PM

This old boomer just learned Boney M is still around!

I think it's just Liz Mitchell performing as Boney M. She was the lead singer for most of their classic era hits.

Boney M has had lots of personnel changes over the years.

#77 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 01:11 PM

I hate musical acts that are just one person or even no person from the original.

Mean while in the last week I have gone to 2 musical performances of absolutely stellar musicians at Hermann's for the cover charge of $20 bucks. 

You should try it sometime. 

Circling back to my Rifflandia rant, are you sure those people were actually performing as opposed to lip synching? I noticed the big screens on the side of the stage. I'm guessing most people just watched the screens.

#78 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 01:12 PM

Circling back to my Rifflandia rant, are you sure those people were actually performing as opposed to lip synching? I noticed the big screens on the side of the stage. I'm guessing most people just watched the screens.

I doubt anyone is fully lip-synching, but you can certainly fill in lots with technology.

#79 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 01:24 PM

Yup.

#80 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 08:45 AM

I hate musical acts that are just one person or even no person from the original.

Mean while in the last week I have gone to 2 musical performances of absolutely stellar musicians at Hermann's for the cover charge of $20 bucks. 

You should try it sometime. 

Those are the questions these days. When you have one (or zero) original members is it a really just a tribute band? Case in point Heart next week where only Nancy (guitar) is an original member.

Aside from lip-syncing, lots of bands use backing tracks to fill in what age has taken away. I have been to some concerts recently where I wish they had used tracks!

Edited by spanky123, 26 September 2022 - 08:49 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users