• Please log in to reply
896 replies to this topic

#181 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,081 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 06:36 AM

Auditing?

It's like challenging.    But without the test at the end.

Take the course but not officially.   Or attend classes, not registered.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 October 2022 - 06:37 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 06:38 AM

Aha! Thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#183 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,050 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 11:43 AM

A participant without any credit earned.

#184 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 11:44 AM

Lifetime ban for Victoria teacher who had sexual relationship with student

Brent Richard Garraway, a secondary teacher for the Greater Victoria school district, became physically intimate with the student prior to the student’s graduation in 2005.

https://www.timescol...student-5741896

Former Oak Bay High student launches civil claim against former soccer coach over sexual grooming and exploitation

The civil claim alleges that others at the school knew about the sexual relationship, but did nothing to stop it

By Jolene Rudisuela - October 22, 2022

Screenshot 2022-10-24 12.35.08.png
Brent Garraway (rear left) with the Oak Bay High senior girls soccer team

A former Oak Bay High School student has launched a civil claim against her former soccer coach and School District 61, saying she was sexually groomed and exploited while attending the school.

Jocelyn, who spoke to Capital Daily on the condition that her last name not be used, graduated from Oak Bay High School in 2005. According to the notice of civil claim, near the end of her time at the school, Jocelyn entered into an exploitative sexual relationship with her soccer coach, Brent Garraway. The civil claim alleges that other teachers at the school were aware of the sexual relationship while she was a student there, but nothing was done to stop it.

Other former students earlier this year that the relationship in question was akin to an “open secret.”

Garraway received a lifetime teaching ban in August by the BC Commissioner for Teacher Regulation after he admitted to a “physically intimate” relationship with a former student he coached on the soccer team.

The commissioner ruled that Garraway “violated his privileged position of power and trust in exploiting” his former student, and that he harmed her “physical and emotional wellbeing.”

Screenshot 2022-10-24 12.36.19.png
2004 Oak Bay High yearbook photo of Brent Garraway.

‘This is not your dating field’

After Jocelyn’s father died suddenly in October 2001, she used soccer as a way to cope with her grief. That’s when she met Garraway for the first time.

According to the documents Jocelyn filed in court, when Jocelyn entered into Grade 10 the following year, Garraway pulled her up from the junior soccer team to the senior team and enticed her to join the local adults’ soccer team that he coached.

By the time Jocelyn was 15 or 16, she was speaking with Garraway online over MSN Messenger almost daily. Soon, Garraway expressed his romantic interest in Jocelyn, and the pair agreed that they would become romantically involved with each other once Jocelyn finished high school and turned 18, the notice of claim states.

However, Garraway continually had Jocelyn stay late after soccer practice, and regularly gave her alcohol and marijuana, which they consumed together. According to her claim, by the time Jocelyn was 17 and in Grade 12, she and Garraway were engaging in sexual activity.

The notice of civil claim states that Garraway was aware of her vulnerability after the death of her father, and he used his position of power to groom her.

#185 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 02:17 PM

^ 10 Things You Didn’t Know about Andrew Wilkinson

”Wilkinson’s education is a world away from where he’s eventually ended up in life. After graduating from Oak Bay High School in 2004..”: https://moneyinc.com/andrew-wilkinson/

#186 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,081 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 05:43 AM

Teachers and parents on Vancouver Island are seeing widespread sickness and absences among K-12 students and staff, amid a continued lack of infection prevention measures in classrooms.

The principal of a Vancouver Island elementary school, April—who asked that we change her name due to policies that do not allow her to talk to the media—told Capital Daily that on most days since session started in September, at least one student out of five and one in 10 staff members are absent.

April estimates that as many as 75% of students have missed school already this semester. Some have missed a few days, and some a whole week or more.

https://www.capitald...lic-health-data

Sounds like the media have done their usual job of instilling irrational fear.

For several years, I never missed a single day in a school year.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 October 2022 - 05:44 AM.

#187 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,081 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 05:51 AM

At the moment, parents and teachers concur that hardly anyone still wears a mask in classrooms. At April’s school, which has more than 400 students, she says around 10 still regularly wear a mask.

^ I’m sure those kids are the popular ones. Not.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 October 2022 - 05:51 AM.

#188 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 10:45 AM

^ No masks at Halloween?

#189 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 10:48 AM

What happened the other years? I used to call in my own “sick days” so I wouldn’t get the automated phone call to the house saying I was skipping

Edited by todd, 29 October 2022 - 10:50 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#190 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 10:51 AM

I had a long run like that as well.

• todd likes this

#191 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 10:54 AM

Teachers and parents on Vancouver Island are seeing widespread sickness and absences among K-12 students and staff, amid a continued lack of infection prevention measures in classrooms.

It's almost as if hand sanitizers and face coverings weren't really about sound practices re: cleanliness and sanitation after all.

• Matt R. likes this

#192 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 11:06 AM

I used to call in my own “sick days” so I wouldn’t get the automated phone call to the house

The what-amated what to the what? Dude, you make me feel old.

#193 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 11:10 AM

Absenteeism for you was about automated phone calls. Absenteeism for Sparky was about bloodhounds and search parties.

For me it was somewhere in between. Trained dogs would make the phone calls by paw.

• Sparky and max.bravo like this

#194 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,502 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 08:54 PM

People used to just go to work and school sick. Now they don’t dare plus why not use it as an excuse not to!
It’s sick to propose the mask as a forever thing.

#195 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 09:34 PM

...It’s sick to propose the mask as a forever thing.

My favourite are the people I still see wearing masks while inside their cars - by themselves.  :whyme:

• dasmo and max.bravo like this

#196 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,502 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 10:25 PM

It’s both triggering to me because of my personal trauma of navigating not wearing one while the immense social and media pressure to have to was ever bearing. At the same time I feel compassion for the person who is wearing their trauma on their face from this fear based psychological abuse we were all subjected to.

It’s why this talk of masking also triggers me. We should be able to breathe the air freely and without obstruction. That should be an obvious fundamental right. No seatbelt comparisons please.
  • max.bravo likes this

#197 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 October 2022 - 10:18 AM

My favourite are the people I still see wearing masks while inside their cars - by themselves.  :whyme:

maybe they’re about to drop the car off to somebody and don’t want to give them a germ filled bubble?

#198 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 October 2022 - 10:21 AM

People used to just go to work and school sick. Now they don’t dare plus why not use it as an excuse not to!
It’s sick to propose the mask as a forever thing.

I can remember at least one kid getting kicked out of class for hacking up a lung

Had to be real bad back then

Edited by todd, 30 October 2022 - 10:43 AM.

#199 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 30 October 2022 - 12:10 PM

No seatbelt comparisons please.

If the seatbelts are made of fine Corinthian leather then people should definitely have the right to breathe in that smell without obstruction.

#200 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 30 October 2022 - 01:18 PM

maybe they’re about to drop the car off to somebody and don’t want to give them a germ filled bubble?

🤣🤣🤣🤣

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users