Photo

Golf courses of Greater Victoria and southern Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#121 aastra

aastra
  • 21,257 posts

Posted 27 August 2023 - 12:01 PM

Lots of people walk there who don't know anything about gold.

I prefer the company of prospectors and claim jumpers, myself. But to each his own.

#122 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,345 posts

Posted 27 August 2023 - 12:01 PM

It’s a pretty easy mixup. I know a lot about jogging AND golfing, and I’ve made the error more than once.

The golfers go ballistic, but I’m unsure what the emergency is.

I’m not jogging across the greens.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 August 2023 - 12:03 PM.

• lanforod likes this

#123 aastra

aastra
  • 21,257 posts

Posted 27 August 2023 - 05:14 PM

I’m not jogging across the greens.

I don't blame you. A jog across the green would be the equivalent of a day's exercise for most VV forumers.

#124 aastra

aastra
  • 21,257 posts

Posted 27 August 2023 - 05:35 PM

I like to cultivate the impression that we're all a bunch of out-of-shape retirement-age computer nerds. Mainly because I love seeing how people react when they learn we're actually a bunch of buff & ultra-fit 20-somethings with great teeth, flawless complexions, and mops of luxuriant long hair.

• Nparker likes this

#125 todd

todd
  • 12,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2023 - 06:13 PM

There's lots of places you could do this. Panama flats. Layritz park area/Wilkinson Jail lands etc etc. Lots of big parks where you could encroach into with housing. Cedar Hill golf course is a park, setup for a sport.

I was hoping they would expand the prison, so judges can house more repeat violent offenders.

“..The Vancouver Island Regional Correctional Centre at 4216 Wilkinson Rd. was cited in a recent Auditor General progress audit on correctional facilities as the worst offender in B.C. for overcrowding, with 66 per cent of inmates “double bunked” as of 2018. When the audit began in 2015, the target was half that, set at 32 per cent shared living units..”: https://www.vicnews....nich-jail-52896

#126 LJ

LJ
  • 13,261 posts

Posted 27 August 2023 - 07:21 PM

On a computer note, how do you do a strike through on a Mac computer, I have tried many different key combos and none work for me.

Lots of people walk there who don't know anything about gold golf.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#127 aastra

aastra
  • 21,257 posts

Posted 27 August 2023 - 08:08 PM

Have you tried using a sharpie?

• Mike K. likes this

#128 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,406 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 05:02 AM

On a computer note, how do you do a strike through on a Mac computer, I have tried many different key combos and none work for me.

The "strike through" is part of the VV platform. If you go to type a post you will see a number of font selections in the tool bar above the text area.

B   I   U   S   

Highlight the word you want to strike through and click on the S

• LJ likes this

#129 LJ

LJ
  • 13,261 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 07:41 PM

^Thank you.

#130 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,345 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 06:31 AM

The property represents an opportunity to acquire the profitable Duncan Meadows Golf Course on Vancouver Island. Resting on approximately 159.33 acres, improvements on site include an 18-hole championship golf course with 12,000 sq.ft. clubhouse (complete with 2 commercial kitchens, 2 liquor licenses, and 150-seat banquet facility), full practice facility, pro shop, 5,000 sq.ft. maintenance building, and 8,000 manager's residence. The sale includes all equipment and inventory. Duncan Meadows has been open for play since the early 1990s and is highly regarded in the golfing community with industry leading rounds, driven by outstanding value. Contact listing brokerage for more information.

$16,900,000

6507 North Rd
Duncan, British Columbia V9L6K9

https://www.realtor....can-west-duncan

943929_1.jpg

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.09.19-10_33_23.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 September 2023 - 06:34 AM.

#131 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,345 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 06:35 AM

Duncan Meadows has been open for play since the early 1990s and is highly regarded in the golfing community with industry leading rounds, driven by outstanding value.

:confused:

#132 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,044 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 September 2023 - 07:16 AM

Yeah... no. It's an ok course but given a list of all 18 hole courses on the Island, its well in the bottom half.

#133 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,345 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 07:23 AM

I wish Bill Gates would buy all our ALR land then lobby to remove some.
  • Matt R. likes this

#134 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 10:08 AM

Woman sues Victoria Golf Club, saying ball flew through car window and hit her face

Evelyn Mohr claims she was driving by the Victoria Golf Club in Oak Bay when she was struck by a golf ball that came through her open car window.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 10.04.50.png
Beach Drive bisects the Victoria Golf Club in Oak Bay. 

A woman has filed a lawsuit saying she was injured by a golf ball that flew through her car window and hit her face while she was driving along Beach Drive next to the Victoria Golf Club last June.

Evelyn Mohr filed a notice of civil claim in B.C. Supreme Court on Thursday, naming the Victoria Golf Club, District of Oak Bay and golfer Kane Wyatt as defendants.

Mohr says in the suit that she was driving on Beach Drive on June 4, 2023, when she was struck by a golf ball that came through her open car window.

She alleges Wyatt negligently hit the golf ball.

The document also says that the district and club were negligent or in breach of their duty and that they failed to warn people there was a danger of being hit by golf balls in the area, and that they failed to take reasonable care to protect against errant golf balls, or erect netting to catch golf balls.

Mohr alleges she suffered facial lacerations, a concussion, cognitive deficits, an increased risk for degenerative changes including dementia, nausea, eye and neck injuries, anxiety, emotional liability, psychological injuries and chronic pain and fatigue.

More: https://www.timescol...er-face-8399661

• Matt R. likes this

#135 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,044 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 March 2024 - 10:12 AM

as much as VGC may not like the esthetics, there probably needs to be some netting in place for the inevitable hook and slice.

#136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,759 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 10:13 AM

...Mohr alleges she suffered facial lacerations, a concussion, cognitive deficits, an increased risk for degenerative changes including dementia, nausea, eye and neck injuries, anxiety, emotional liability, psychological injuries and chronic pain and fatigue..

Does the lawsuit not take into account any pre-existing conditions on the part of the plaintiff?

FYI: Keep your windows closed when driving past a golf course.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#137 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• Banned
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 06 March 2024 - 11:58 AM

Agree that netting would seem prudent, but she's driving by and even directly adjacent to a GOLF COURSE and needs a WARNING about the possibility, even 'danger', of errant golf balls? Seriously? Have to wonder if she's one of those people who moves across the street from an airport and then to her shock and dismay discovers that PLANES land and takeoff nearby and than complains. Canada isn't nearly as litigenous as the US as a rule, but this sounds like something you'd hear about in Scottsdale or Sarasota. Good grief.

Those of us old enough to remember and to have patronized them when you could smoke in clubs and bars are probably techically more likely to develop lung cancer - maybe - even though we may have never smoked in our lives - shall we neverthless file a class action suit on the mere possibility that may happen? 

• Nparker likes this

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,257 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 05:10 PM

Mohr alleges she suffered facial lacerations, a concussion, cognitive deficits, an increased risk for degenerative changes including dementia, nausea, eye and neck injuries, anxiety, emotional liability, psychological injuries and chronic pain and fatigue.

Dang.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#139 m3m

m3m
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 05:55 PM

A lot a talk about the liability of the golf course, but the individual golfer could be in much worse trouble. Hope he has insurance

#140 LJ

LJ
  • 13,261 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 07:36 PM

Usually there are signs along the golf course saying "golfers are responsible for errant balls" and any damage caused is the golfer's responsibility. 

We had a golf ball go through the first pane of glass in our kitchen window. Thankfully we were home at the time and caught the errant golfer. A Chinese lady on a tour with 18 others. We met them in the lobby of the hotel after their round, and all 18 of them trooped up to the house and into the backyard to see the damage. Unfortunately, the glass from the window had fallen on an awning over the door below and ripped it pretty good. They had some inventive solutions, such sewing it back together.

Fortunately for us, in the time it took them to finish their round, we had got written estimates for the window and awning replacement.

In the end, she peeled off 25 $100 bills and went on her way.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users