Photo

Floatplane / seaplane services in Victoria - Harbour Air | Kenmore Air

• Please log in to reply
680 replies to this topic

#41 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:57 PM

Stuff like this fascinates me. How can people who moved to the area KNOWING that this a working harbour (let's be honest, I don't see how anyone could not figure that out, with a seaplane leaving every 15-30 minutes), and now they bytch and whine that it's too noisy. It's like the old lady that lives next door to me and gets pissy when my tenants (of a legal duplex and not a secondary suite, I might add) park in front of her house, which is on a non-regulated street. If you can't deal with reality, MOVE!!

Exactly. I live not on the harbour but just a few blocks away because the cost of living on the harbour is through the roof. I would love to live on the harbour even with the noise and the smell of fuel. I can smell the fuel on certain days from where I live and it does not bother me.. same as car fumes or low tide. You should know what you're getting into before you want to live in a certain neighbourhood. Don't move there and try to change the way things work. If you want to talk noise, it's the seagulls and loud motorcycles that piss me off more than anything.. not the planes I hear every day. But again, seagulls are a part of living near a harbour!

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

Nope I'm really wrong. They actually do fly out of way up at maple bay. I swear they have a billboard on the highway that says flights out of sidney and this summer I was in a najijo that came too close to a saltspring air plane whilst landing at YYJ.

Pat Bay Airways flies out of pat bay, although they look to only be doing charters.

...they DO fly out of Pat Bay (Sidney) and Maple Bay.

#43 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:07 PM

...they DO fly out of Pat Bay (Sidney) and Maple Bay.

Very spotty service though if the downtown harbour was closed it would probably pick up significantly.

Don't look for the harbour to be shut down anytime soon though, NavCanada is near completion on a new Flight Service Station for the harbour, you can be sure they had some commitment from government that the harbour would remain a "working" harbour.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#44 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

The DC3 on floats is a cool thing - but if you think that there's complaints about the noise now, just wait! Also, takeoff space available, docking issues etc.. make it a little impractical...

Saw that puppy take off on Williston Lake, noise wasn't bad but the takeoff run was close to two miles.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#45 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:55 PM

I believe there used to be Beech float planes around this area at one point. I know the BC Forest Service used Junkers float planes.

The Beech was one of the most beautiful planes of all time IMO.

d7SF-muCoZM
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#46 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 12:25 AM

All the Songhees residents in all the buildings that were built over at least a 15 year period looked at their suites in one November? I don't think so.

There are places for sale in the Songhees year round so I won't buy that for a second.

Sorry, an over-generalization there..IIRC, the two waterfront buildings to the west of the totem pole were completed and shown in November. I'm assuming that many of the noise complaints are coming from there. You would be correct about build out and sale of the rest.
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:21 AM

That makes sense. Really those two buildings should be torn down for embarrassing the harbour.

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:49 AM

YdFN6agkNnQ

Anyone recall Tales of the Gold Monkey? Short-lived TV series, very good I thought. Sort of like an Indiana Jones every week.

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:03 AM

^Put the number of the youtube video (not the whole URL) between youtube tags, ie: [/youtube]
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:04 AM

^ You have to use [youtube] tags tags and copy and paste the embed info from the video page.

#51 askls

askls
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:34 AM

I agree with the previous positive "keep float plane" comments for Victoria's harbour! And I know a few residents in adjacent condos, both sides of the harbour, who just love the sounds of that activity!

#52 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:42 AM

If people are complaining now , then just wait till we get a couple of these landing and taking off from the inner harbour.

http://www.flixxy.co...us-aircraft.htm

#53 Saltspring Air

Saltspring Air

Saltspring Air

• 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:29 PM

Very spotty service though if the downtown harbour was closed it would probably pick up significantly.

Just read back through some of the chat, and wanted to let you know we do fly out of Pat Bay 3 times a day (recently stepped up from once a day) 7 days a week, to Vancouver harbour and Richmond.

Come along give it a shot more people fly the more service we can put on. www.saltspringair.com

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

Just read back through some of the chat, and wanted to let you know we do fly out of Pat Bay 3 times a day (recently stepped up from once a day) 7 days a week, to Vancouver harbour and Richmond.

Come along give it a shot more people fly the more service we can put on. www.saltspringair.com

GREAT, thanks SSA for coming on and keeping us current!

Welcome to the forum!

#55 Saltspring Air

Saltspring Air

Saltspring Air

• 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:43 PM

Saltspring Air already flies from Sidney (Maple Bay) to Downtown already. Its cheaper than from downtown, but I think its only once a day (and mid morning) and thus has never worked for me. I know if the times were more often it would become my first choice, as I travel to Vancouver often and am always wrestling with the ferry vs flying option.

Now we fly from Pat Bay (N. Saanich) at 7.15, 10.30 and mid afternoon (time depending on day light) and back 3 times a day from both Vancouver and YVR, we did a special last year for $69, regular cost $125 www.saltspringair.com

#56 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:33 PM

Wall St. Journal video blog:

A seaplane between Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia, allows money-saving Canadian commuters to enjoy breathtaking views. WSJ’s Adam Thompson reports:

http://blogs.wsj.com...-sky-in-canada/

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:50 AM

I was listening to CKNW's Sportstalk last night, and they had as a guest, former Sportstalk producer Bob Adison, who is currently working for NBC in the research department, holed up in the media centre (Vancouver conference centre). Anyway, the host asked him what the Americans were saying about the city, and he said one thing they all commented on was the seaplanes coming in and out everyday, they find it fascinating.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:26 AM

Saltspring Air will make Canadian history today with installation of emergency exit pop-out windows on its Beaver seaplanes.

The windows make it easier for passengers to escape in the event of a crash in water.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz0wxoN28kz
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#59 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:35 AM

Owch, looked up float plane costs to get me and the wife to Vancouver and back. With all fees and taxes, was about $700. It saves 2 hours from our trip, but I'm not sure 2 hours are worth the extra $640. Any inside scoop on how to get better deals?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:45 AM

Owch, looked up float plane costs to get me and the wife to Vancouver and back. With all fees and taxes, was about $700. It saves 2 hours from our trip, but I'm not sure 2 hours are worth the extra $640. Any inside scoop on how to get better deals?

$667.52 is your Helijet fare until the end of this month.

Do you mean 2 hours each way? 4 hours, x two people = 8 hours savings. $640/8 hours = $80/hour.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users