Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:22 PM

Nuclear!!!

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Ford_Nucleon

#622 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 05:30 AM

A $1.6-million injection of funding from the province will spur Harbour Air on in converting its aircraft to electric motors and could result in the first-ever ­passenger flight in an all- electric aircraft before the end of next year.

Harbour Air president Randy Wright said the cash is key if the company is to realize its goal of converting its entire fleet from combustion engines to electric.

“This funding is imperative to help us do that and show other companies across all sectors how investing in innovation can result in commercial success,” he said.

Wright also said they have found a new Swiss battery producer to partner with and, given the pace of technological improvement of batteries, Harbour Air expects it could have the first passenger flight before the end of 2022.

https://www.timescol...funding-4706350

#623 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:34 AM

Battery disposal and recycling is going to be huge business in the coming years. We can’t recycle glass, but batteries ought to be easy.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#624 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:43 AM

Battery disposal and recycling is going to be huge business in the coming years. We can’t recycle glass, but batteries ought to be easy.

Redwood Materials Inc., the battery recycling company created by Tesla Inc. co-founder J.B. Straubel, has been keeping a big secret: It isn’t really a recycling company.

Sure, Redwood has risen quickly to become the biggest lithium-ion battery recycler in the U.S.. But Straubel didn’t leave Tesla in 2019 just to clean out America’s junk drawers. His broader goal, described to Bloomberg for the first time, is to move a huge chunk of the battery-component industry from Asia to the U.S. 

“It’s both inspiring and terrifying to see so many nations and car companies announcing their shift to electric vehicles,” Straubel said. “But there’s a massive gap in what needs to happen.”

https://www.bnnbloom...ustry-1.1651927

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 October 2021 - 07:44 AM.

#625 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 09:24 AM

A $1.6-million injection of funding from the province will spur Harbour Air on in converting its aircraft to electric motors and could result in the first-ever ­passenger flight in an all- electric aircraft before the end of next year.

Harbour Air president Randy Wright said the cash is key if the company is to realize its goal of converting its entire fleet from combustion engines to electric.

“This funding is imperative to help us do that and show other companies across all sectors how investing in innovation can result in commercial success,” he said.

Wright also said they have found a new Swiss battery producer to partner with and, given the pace of technological improvement of batteries, Harbour Air expects it could have the first passenger flight before the end of 2022.

https://www.timescol...funding-4706350

Didn't they announce new partners 6 months ago (ie this is now the 3rd set of partners in 2 years?) 

Edited by spanky123, 30 October 2021 - 09:24 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#626 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 09:39 AM

that was the same swiss battery partner announced 6 months ago.

https://www.harboura...rcial-airplane/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 October 2021 - 09:39 AM.

#627 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:23 AM

Helijet says it could add electric aircraft to its fleet after making a deal to have marketing, booking and reservations services handled by Blade Urban Mobility.

Helijet chief executive Danny Sitnam said the deal “frees us up” to concentrate on aircraft operations and study new technology without having to deal with the day-to-day business of marketing and managing seat inventory.

“They will take care of our scheduled service so we can concentrate on operations,” he said, noting the companies have a shared goal of incorporating more sustainable technology like electric and hydrogen power in the air-commuter business.

“We have decided to work together now with conventional technologies, hone our systems and processes while we are both trying to get these new technologies integrated into our operations,” Sitnam said. “It seems a good fit.”

The five-year deal will see Blade pay Helijet $12 million US to run its ­scheduled passenger business and use its heliport ­terminals, while Helijet will operate Blade flights on existing and jointly developed new routes.

https://www.timescol...h-blade-4825472

Blade:

Passengers must download the Blade app to their iOS or Android device, sign up for an account, and enter additional information such as a valid phone number and credit card details. When a passenger wants to fly, they open the app and select an existing flight to join at a time that works for them. If no times work for the passenger, they can crowdsource their own flight at a more convenient time; any remaining seats on a crowdsourced flight may then go on to be sold to other flyers through the digital community Blade provides in-app.

https://en.wikipedia...Blade_(company)

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 December 2021 - 07:26 AM.

#628 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 09:11 AM

Blade plans to add service to Portland, Seattle, and other pacific northwest destinations to the mix.  Blade is quite successful in NYC and I suspect this move will be quite a boost in business to helijet. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 09:23 AM

Yeah, that’s cool. I’m not sure about the crowdsourcing thing but if they can add additional routes that’ll be alright.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#630 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 12:12 AM

One benefit of living in Seattle is having a whole other country less than 100 miles away. And what’s usually the easiest way to get to Canada? Seattle’s seaplane airline Kenmore Air. The fourth-generation family business is the largest seaplane airline in America.

On its website, Kenmore Air highlights more than 30 places it flies to in Canada, including cities like Victoria and Vancouver but also wild fishing and yacht hot spots like Blackfish Lodge and April Point Marina. 

After all these months stuck in COVID-19 constriction, can you go for a scenic floatplane ride to Victoria and a plate of poutine? 

Curb your enthusiasm. 

In early November, the U.S.-Canada border reopened to nonessential travel. That was the news writ large. But read the fine print and you’ll find a patchwork of pandemic approvals that don’t include smaller B.C. airports.

“We are still stuck and unable to fly,” Kenmore Air President Todd Banks says. “The Canadian government has not opened all the airports yet. In particular, we need Transport Canada to open Victoria Inner Harbour Airport.” 

Kenmore Air needs Canada

This isn’t just a headache for Banks. It’s an existential threat to the company his grandfather, Bob Munro, founded 75 years ago. Pre-pandemic, half of those yellow-striped planes purring by the Space Needle were headed to Canada.

https://www.seattlet...Registered User

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 December 2021 - 12:13 AM.

#631 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 05:25 AM

The route is a partnership between Kenmore Air and Canada’s Harbour Air and it’s the key link in the Cascadia Innovation Corridor which aims to connect tech businesses across the border. Microsoft, which employs more than 1,900 people in Vancouver, and both airlines worked hard to convince the Canadian Border Services Agency to open a customs facility in Coal Harbor. 

Then, just as scheduled service was going to begin, COVID shut it down.

“Oh, geez!” says an exasperated Randy Wright, president of Harbour Air. “This has been going on for quite a long time. We have lost tens of thousands of dollars.” Wright points to a new missed opportunity. “With the Kraken and the rivalry with the Canucks there is a lot of business to be had there.”

https://www.seattlet...Registered User

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 December 2021 - 05:26 AM.

#632 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 09:25 AM

After all these months stuck in COVID-19 constriction, can you go for a scenic floatplane ride to Victoria and a plate of poutine? Curb your enthusiasm.

What in tarnations is wrong with these people? Nobody eats that garbage outside of Quebec.

• Matt R., DavidSchell and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#633 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 03:25 PM

I was back in Ontario about a month or so ago. My long term friend easily ate a  huge plate. I stole one bite. I do not get the poutine trend.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#634 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 03:43 PM

I was back in Ontario about a month or so ago. My long term friend easily ate a  huge plate. I stole one bite. I do not get the poutine trend.

They have to find a way to keep it warmer longer.    That's the problem.    If they could build in some type of nuclear reaction that keeps it warm for 10 minutes.  

• Matt R. likes this

#635 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 27 December 2021 - 09:40 PM

What’s not to get? Fries, gravy, cheese, the trifecta.

I’ve eaten at La Banquise a couple times in Quebec. Too many options, I’m more of a purist. Do I really need these frozen peas on my poutine? No.

#636 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 02:05 AM

What’s not to get? Fries, gravy, cheese, the trifecta.

I’ve eaten at La Banquise a couple times in Quebec. Too many options, I’m more of a purist. Do I really need these frozen peas on my poutine? No.

You obviously have a different metabolism than mine. Lucky for you.  But I just find the taste bland. 

#637 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 08:29 AM

Most. Off-Topic. Thread. Ever.  :whyme:

• Matt R., Redd42 and Barrrister like this

#638 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 11:52 AM

If anyone is interested, I am thinking of starting a poutine thread, the entire focus of which will be transborder flights by small planes.

• Matt R. likes this

#639 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 11:53 AM

Link?

Will poutine be available on the flights?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 December 2021 - 11:54 AM.

#640 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 28 December 2021 - 12:21 PM

...Will poutine be available on the flights?

Only if requested by Mike K.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users