Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#3141 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:32 AM

Only half a kilometre shorter.

With the extension, motorists travelling to communities such as Sooke, Metchosin and the Westhills area of Langford will cut half a kilometre from their trips by not having to use the Trans Canada Highway and Westshore Parkway intersection to access Westshore Parkway at Westhills. 

https://victoria.cit...d-until-spring/

#3142 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:51 AM

Only half a kilometre shorter.

Isn't the key, "...not having to use the Trans Canada Highway and Westshore Parkway intersection..."?

That's potentially more traffic removed from the highway, which should improve things for people that have to be on the highway.

That's my take on it anyway.

#3143 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:08 PM

It'd be good for Sooke commuters because they could take the leigh road interchange and then take the westshore parkway to highway 14. 

#3144 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:20 PM

All for a stupid rail line that will never be used again. This has to be THE dumbest region on the planet when it comes to this stuff.

Dumb is putting it mildly. We keep spending more money on interchanges, intersections and parkways when we could have been running something on that rail line between Langford and Victoria a long time ago to get people out of their cars.

#3145 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 12:25 PM

You do know how many people use that corridor right? You'd need quite a large train to even make a tiny impact.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#3146 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:06 PM

It'd be good for Sooke commuters because they could take the leigh road interchange and then take the westshore parkway to highway 14. 

Yes, exactly. Currently with the situation as it is, the TCH gets backed up heavily during peak periods to the point where vehicles are queued up past the old Shell station on McCallum due to the single-lane northbound and the traffic light at Westshore Parkway. So Sooke-bound traffic is tied up unnecessarily in that backlog.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3147 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 04:29 PM

Yes, exactly. Currently with the situation as it is, the TCH gets backed up heavily during peak periods to the point where vehicles are queued up past the old Shell station on McCallum due to the single-lane northbound and the traffic light at Westshore Parkway. So Sooke-bound traffic is tied up unnecessarily in that backlog.

And let's face it taking the build better roads and they will come approach will keep people saying in twenty years..."hey what about that old railway right of way that they stopped using thirty years ago?" 

"Oh that land all got developed ten years ago and that is why the traffic is in such a mess"

#3148 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:14 PM

It seems that left turn off Carey onto Douglas will work for cars too as it's all set up despite no buses using it until January, there's no "bus only" signs/paint anywhere and I watched multiple cars trigger the light change. That's annoying.

#3149 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:12 AM

I saw that yesterday as well. One measly little hatchback forced dozens and dozens of vehicles to come to a screeching halt after having moved off a red light at Saanich. At the very least they should have synced the lights, for gosh sake.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3150 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:16 AM

At the very least they should have synced the lights, for gosh sake.

Syncing lights in the CRD? That's a good joke!
  • Mike K. likes this

#3151 jessief

jessief
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:36 AM

It seems that left turn off Carey onto Douglas will work for cars too as it's all set up despite no buses using it until January, there's no "bus only" signs/paint anywhere and I watched multiple cars trigger the light change. That's annoying.

There is a sign that says right turn only except buses but it’s not very obvious and I too saw cars making the left.

#3152 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:00 PM

There is a sign that says right turn only except buses but it’s not very obvious and I too saw cars making the left.

with how successful they've been at keeping cars out of the bus lanes I'd say be prepared to stop many times for a small vehicle to make that left. 

#3153 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:06 PM

So the new lanes on Douglas Street north of Hillside are so narrow that it's actually unnerving when you're driving in the middle lane between a bus and another vehicle. They've got to be about a foot, if not more, thinner than south of Hillside.

Know it all.

#3154 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:14 PM

The goal is probably to reduce car traffic down to one lane in each direction and give bikes their own lanes along Douglas.

#3155 jessief

jessief
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 04:20 PM

So the new lanes on Douglas Street north of Hillside are so narrow that it's actually unnerving when you're driving in the middle lane between a bus and another vehicle. They've got to be about a foot, if not more, thinner than south of Hillside.

Also I’ve seen buses backed up in the bus lane because cars are sitting on the lines and they can’t get by.
  • Mike K. likes this

#3156 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:27 PM

I drive a full size pick-up, and always cheat well over towards the bus lanes when I'm on that stretch of Douglas.

If the bus can't get by my truck ... tough. I want at least 2+ feet between me and any car beside me while driving at speed.

• Nparker likes this

#3157 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 06:28 PM

What the Carey/Douglas intersection needs is those gates (vehicle traps) that only buses can pass through.

#3158 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

Two and a half weeks ago I informed the city that there was a rather large pothole on Cook St. between Richardson and McClure Streets. Last Thursday while walking there in that rain, pedestrians were almost getting splashed every time a car drove through it. After that rain the hole was even larger. I thought a branch had come down, there was so much debris. It would have caused a car or cyclist serious damage and was a real safety hazard. Thankfully it was finally repaired, but chunks of asphalt were left in the curb. How big do Victoria potholes have to be before they're repaired? That big I guess.

#3159 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:25 AM

Two and a half weeks ago I informed the city that there was a rather large pothole on Cook St. between Richardson and McClure Streets. Last Thursday while walking there in that rain, pedestrians were almost getting splashed every time a car drove through it. After that rain the hole was even larger. I thought a branch had come down, there was so much debris. It would have caused a car or cyclist serious damage and was a real safety hazard. Thankfully it was finally repaired, but chunks of asphalt were left in the curb. How big do Victoria potholes have to be before they're repaired? That big I guess.

Obviously Wanksy needs to visit Victoria.

• sebberry and Brantastic like this

#3160 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:52 PM

That’s amazing, lol! But I do have to point out that we’re extremely fortunate that our climate is as mild as it is and that potholes are as infrequent as they are. In colder climates potholes are insane and so frequent that you just give up counting/noticing them and accept them for what they are.

I call them road mosquitos. And speaking of mosquitos we’re fortunate to not have many here, either.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users