Photo

Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#3381 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 05:01 PM

Over the coming months, the district will assess the impact of the various traffic calming measures to determine if more should be implemented. Haynes predicts the changes will slow traffic on the overall route and add travel time which he hopes will result in more drivers opting to take the highway.

The problem is getting to the highway through the 5 way stop at Interurban and it's only going to get worse as they keep adding onto Camosun.  They could bypass that mess of an intersection (and that area) if they connected Charlton to Interurban.  

#3382 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:21 AM

Yesterday we were driving along Dallas Road towards Ross Bay. Usually we turn left up Memorial Crescent to come up to Fairfield, but I guess that is another bit of "road diet". The road is now non-existent. You can only come down it towards the ocean. Oh well, more carbon emissions from me I guess as we had to go farther than we wanted. 

#3383 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:27 AM

But of course. Why wouldn’t it have been closed to traffic. Now St. Charles will see a ride in volume, and it’s a tight street to begin with.
  • Nparker and mbjj like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3384 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 02:12 PM

Yesterday we were driving along Dallas Road towards Ross Bay. Usually we turn left up Memorial Crescent to come up to Fairfield, but I guess that is another bit of "road diet". The road is now non-existent. You can only come down it towards the ocean. Oh well, more carbon emissions from me I guess as we had to go farther than we wanted.

Is this a permanent change though? I cycle past there a few times each week and I assumed they were doing utilities work along there that was part of the construction work at Clover Point. One lane had been closed off on Memorial, but I had assumed that was just due to the utility work. But I’m not certain..

#3385 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 03:03 PM

Memorial is open both ways today but the road is narrowed at Dallas to a regular width without the island and slip road. 

#3386 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:06 PM

It looked permanent yesterday. Wow, that narrow bit is very narrow to accommodate two lanes. I hope it is both ways though. 

#3387 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:20 PM

Not sure that it is any worse than St Charles that has parking on both sides of the street while this street is parking only on one side.

#3388 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:40 AM

Yes that bit of St. Charles is pretty tight. I will have to investigate Memorial Crescent when I'm next out that way. 

#3389 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 December 2020 - 04:27 PM

The Mile Zero triangle at Douglas and Dallas is slated to be the next intersection upgrade, pending approval of the 2021 budget.

Eo1KrTEU8AEx0Jp.jpg

• newbie_01 and Brantastic like this

#3390 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 04:31 PM

The irony of this expenditure while BHP is being laid waste to, can't be ignored.

• rjag and Awaiting Juno like this

#3391 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2020 - 04:53 AM

The Mile Zero triangle at Douglas and Dallas is slated to be the next intersection upgrade, pending approval of the 2021 budget.

That .jpg file isn't loading for me.  Dare I ask what they're planning to do?

#3392 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 05:05 AM

eliminate the north branch of the road so that you can walk to the triangle from the rest of the park without crossing a street.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 December 2020 - 05:06 AM.

#3393 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:41 AM

What a total waste of money. The City is literally collapsing into chaos and they are frigging fiddling while it burns. 

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno and jrm like this

#3394 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:45 AM

What a total waste of money. The City is literally collapsing into chaos and they are frigging fiddling while it burns. 

Draft budget, so there's still opportunity for public input. Details here: https://engage.victo...1-draft-budget 

• rjag likes this

#3395 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:51 AM

Draft budget, so there's still opportunity for public input...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  The same way my public input was considered regarding the massacre of Vancouver Street?

#3396 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:00 AM

^Well input was considered, seeing how it was originally supposed to go up Cook St
  • Brayvehart likes this

#3397 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:03 AM

I actually think this is a great idea. What’s the point of having it? Just to allow cars an easier right turn on to Douglas? That whole triangle (and similarly the park north of Southgate) has essentially been chopped off from the rest of the park. Why not try and connect it again, while preserving the original mile loop as part of a pedestrian and cycle path.
  • newbie_01 likes this

#3398 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:13 AM

I actually think this is a great idea. What’s the point of having it? Just to allow cars an easier right turn on to Douglas? That whole triangle (and similarly the park north of Southgate) has essentially been chopped off from the rest of the park. Why not try and connect it again, while preserving the original mile loop as part of a pedestrian and cycle path.

I would agree to the first part and pedestrian access, however I would ask if this would be the highest and best use of scarce taxpayer funds in the middle of the worst economic downturn this City has seen in generations? Pet projects like this are what you pull off the shelf and blow off the dust when times are good. There is zero benefit to the community at large, that money could be better spent repairing a few blocks of potholes or fixing sidewalks or improving the areas that have been devastated by all the social housing over in the Burnside Gorge neighborhoods

Edited by rjag, 10 December 2020 - 10:13 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#3399 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:27 AM

...that money could be better spent repairing a few blocks of potholes or fixing sidewalks or improving the areas that have been devastated by all the social housing over in the Burnside Gorge neighborhoods...

Or could be put towards the multi-million dollar costs to remediate Beacon Hill Park once the squatters are finally evicted.

• rjag and Awaiting Juno like this

#3400 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 12:45 PM

No word of a lie, as I was driving into downtown via Blanshard, two pedestrians were playing frogger with actual traffic flow near Hillside, north of the Hillside intersection. Cars were trying not to hit these guys are they were prancing across the lanes, 10 meters from the intersection.

100 meters further into town along the next block crews working on the installation of the mid-block pedestrian crossing.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users