Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#3401 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:27 PM

To assorted developers and construction companies who seem to think Johnson St east of Blanshard is theirs to use and-or block whenever they like, a general request:

Can we please have our street back?  Including all the sidewalks?  Thank you.

Three (!) different lane closures yesterday as I drove up it, never mind there's some sidewalk just east of Cook that has been closed or diverted for at least five years now.

• newbie_01 and Victoria Watcher like this

#3402 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 06:36 PM

All closures are authorized by the city so they can’t just close lanes or create obstructions without permission. The city also charges fees, but I’m not 100% on that.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3403 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 07:00 PM

Highway 14 improvements between Connie and Glinz Lake roads will forever change the landscape of the Sooke area, and local businesses are looking at new opportunities.

The 17 Mile House Pub and AdrenaLine Zipline Adventures owners aim to build two buildings and other facilities on three hectares of land in the 5100-block of Sooke Road.

https://www.vicnews....ay-realignment/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 January 2021 - 07:00 PM.

#3404 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 06:57 AM

doesn’t this add to vehicle idling? because the seconds that are allocated to pedestrians only no matter where they come from in the light cycle must come from vehicle movement seconds.

Saanich adds new pedestrian priority crosswalks to busy intersections

https://www.vicnews....-intersections/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 January 2021 - 06:58 AM.

• sebberry likes this

#3405 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 07:25 AM

Depending on how it works maybe. For example Carey/Ravine (the only crosswalk on the list I regularly use so I'll speak to it) currently if there's a large amount of pedestrians (say a 30 and 70 both just dropped off a bunch of passengers) and a couple cars are trying to turn left it's possible they block everyone for almost, if not the entire, light cycle. If instead pedestrians go then it's red for pedestrians as cars on Ravine get to turn left without sitting there waiting for the pedestrians. I think this system would be particularly useful places such as the busy intersections downtown where you can sit on Yates waiting forever to turn right onto Douglas as pedestrians just keep coming.

#3406 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 07:34 AM

I’ve written the City about the downtown situation. Even some years ago when I did that, they said their priority was to move pedestrians. I had asked why we don’t have advance turns like you see in Vancouver for right-turning traffic, and as such you often get long queues as vehicles can’t make the turn because of pedestrians not respecting the don’t walk sign (which have turned into count downs instead of “Don’t Walk”).
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3407 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 07:39 AM

Depending on how it works maybe. For example Carey/Ravine (the only crosswalk on the list I regularly use so I'll speak to it) currently if there's a large amount of pedestrians (say a 30 and 70 both just dropped off a bunch of passengers) and a couple cars are trying to turn left it's possible they block everyone for almost, if not the entire, light cycle. If instead pedestrians go then it's red for pedestrians as cars on Ravine get to turn left without sitting there waiting for the pedestrians. I think this system would be particularly useful places such as the busy intersections downtown where you can sit on Yates waiting forever to turn right onto Douglas as pedestrians just keep coming.

ah yes.  i might not have looked at that side of the coin.  

#3408 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:24 PM

We drove out to Sooke (getting cabin fever) and were good staying within our bubble...just made a loop and came back.  Always a great drive but wholly crap at the highway construction.  The scale of another Hwy 1 and Mackenzie.......  Hearing all of the accident's I am sure it is going to be a welcome relief.  

#3409 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 09:27 PM

It’s quite something, isn’t it? 1.5km of major highway work puts McKenzie to shame!

Jk

Know it all.

#3410 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 10:57 PM

And the value of Mike K.'s real estate going up.  ;)

#3411 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 08:50 PM

Why are the speed restrictions still in place at the Mackenzie interchange?

I never see anyone working there, once in awhile there is one or two guys doing some landscaping.

Good thing nobody actually obeys the restriction.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3412 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:00 PM

Nobody obeys but people are getting caught. I saw a cop in a black pickup nabbing drivers on McKenzie for several hours Friday.

#3413 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:04 PM

Aren't speeds now back to the regular limit? (and were as of said Friday?) https://www.vicnews....ie-interchange/

#3414 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:23 PM

Nobody obeys but people are getting caught. I saw a cop in a black pickup nabbing drivers on McKenzie for several hours Friday.

Which is ridiculous because any professional driver and driving instructor will tell you that it's safer to manage the space around your vehicle before managing your speed.  In short:  Go with the flow and maximize space.

I'm glad to see the end of the construction zone speed limits.  Not because I want to get to the light at Tillicum 38 seconds faster, but because it's far safer and more comfortable to drive at the natural free flowing speed of traffic.  

• On the Level likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3415 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:35 PM

Pandora and Chambers.  You may only turn right here now if you're lucky enough to be able to ride a bike.

chambers.JPG

• rjag and newbie_01 like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#3416 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:41 PM

Pandora and Chambers.  You may only turn right here now if you're lucky enough to be able to ride a bike...

Another battle in the war on cars.

• sebberry likes this

#3417 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:47 PM

Pandora and Chambers.  You may only turn right here now if you're lucky enough to be able to ride a bike.

chambers.JPG

Dashcam video screenshot before you all lose your minds and break out the pitchforks :D  

#3418 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:47 PM

Yet another unintended consequence of poor design. Now more cars will use Camosun st and then they'll block that one and then more will use Fernwood....frigging clowns at CoV 

• sebberry and jrm like this

#3419 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 10:25 PM

Yet another unintended consequence of poor design. Now more cars will use Camosun st and then they'll block that one and then more will use Fernwood....frigging clowns at CoV 

Don't blame CoV council.  They were all at the soup kitchen so how are they supposed to know what's going on?

• Mike K., rjag, sebberry and 3 others like this

#3420 newbie_01

newbie_01
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 11:40 PM

That stretch of Chambers has probably had an increase in traffic since the delayed right-turn off Pandora onto Cook was put in. I've heard people in the neighbourhood complaining about the speed of cars on Chambers recently which could be from other people using it as a through route to more north and west destinations.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)