Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3757 replies to this topic

#3721 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 05:07 AM

I hear Esquimalt hired the former bike network planner at the CoV.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3722 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 06:40 AM

I can't imagine they would be in high demand outside of BC.

#3723 Kyjen

Kyjen
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 04:31 PM

New to the 1800 block Government ..... a "Parklet"

Attached Images

• IMG_3.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#3724 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 05:23 PM

For gawd's sake why?

#3725 aastra

aastra
  • 21,248 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 05:30 PM

Maybe Victoria's new tourism slogan should be "Get away and relax on the islands... the traffic islands, that is."

• Nparker and JimV like this

#3726 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 749 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 08:39 AM

The one in front of the Dutch bakery and crust bakery on fort are quite well used. Not quite sure what all is around where this new one's going though

#3727 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 08:51 AM

I see the graffiti angels didn't waste any time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3728 JimV

JimV
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 31 October 2023 - 03:19 PM

The one in front of the Dutch bakery and crust bakery on fort are quite well used. Not quite sure what all is around where this new one's going though

Yes, I often see street people lounging around on them.  It’s really quite heart warming because we don’t do enough for Victoria’s most vulnerable.

• Nparker likes this

#3729 FogPub

FogPub
  • 1,006 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 December 2023 - 10:45 PM

With all the money they just spent on Fort St, you'd think they'd have found a few bucks to lay down proper reflective road markings that are visible on a rainy night, but no.......

• Nparker likes this

#3730 JimV

JimV
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 08:13 PM

Well, it’s true that most of the road markings have worn off (along with the pavement.)  On the other hand, since most of the city roads have been converted into dangerous obstacle courses drivers must necessarily pay close attention.  

Let your eyes wander for a moment and you may miss a sudden lane constriction ( with oncoming traffic), randomly placed concrete pedestals sporting metal poles, clusters of incomprehensible signs, confusing bike lane signals and various other scary creations of the dark Webb.  The quick and the dead are soon sorted out without the need for reflective markings.

• Nparker likes this

#3731 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,558 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:58 AM

Last pole standing: Colwood roundabout has a unique feature

B.C. Hydro was supposed to take out the pole when Colwood widened the road for a roundabout, but that hasn’t happened yet.

screenshot-www.timescolonist.com-2023.12.07-08_57_27.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2023 - 05:58 AM.

#3732 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 07:25 AM

It doesn't look much like a roundabout either.

#3733 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,558 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 07:30 AM

It doesn't look much like a roundabout either.

It's a double.

The City of Colwood has started construction on a new double roundabout at the intersection of Latoria Road and Veterans Memorial Parkway, with construction expected to be complete by fall 2023.

https://www.vicnews....undabout-102181

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2023 - 07:30 AM.

#3734 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 08:11 AM

Winter is a few days away, the roundabout is still under construction.

Know it all.

#3735 JimV

JimV
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 07:43 PM

Maybe they got help from the COV engineering department.

#3736 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,558 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 07:34 AM

Comment: Why are Victoria’s roads so bad and getting worse?

Some 56 per cent of 279 kilometres of roadway pavement are considered poor or very poor, compared to just five per cent a decade ago.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 December 2023 - 07:34 AM.

#3737 JimV

JimV
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 02:10 PM

Wow, the dark Webb and her crew have really outdone themselves on Superior street.  I knew they were working on it but hadn’t seen the grotesque finale until yesterday.  The bike lane is separated by a string of concrete curbs, each one crowned by a tall yellow and black striped metal marker.  Unbelievably hideous and, of course, unnecessary.  The money wasted on this could have repaired all the potholes in James Bay.

• Nparker likes this

#3738 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 January 2024 - 09:17 PM

(I'm new to this commute, and I'm sure this has be discussed before) As I was sitting in traffic this morning from Langford to Victoria I got to thinking. Why don't they do a interchangeable lane each way during rush hour? From millstream overpass to just south of the McKenzie overpass. Just like the
Massey tunnel in Vancouver.. Charge a $2 toll until the construction costs are paid off.

North bound traffic is always so light in the morning, and wouldn't cause much of an issue, and then when it's reversed, you could honestly have it as a smaller section of highway so people coming from DT can go express and help ease the merge at McKenzie overpass.

I can't think of any reason why not to do this.. so curious on others thoughts

#3739 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,646 posts

Posted 15 January 2024 - 10:50 PM

Counterflow lane, makes good sense, but maybe too many exits and entrances on that stretch? In NZ some highways have machines that move the centre barrier twice a day! Pick them up like Lego blocks, or like zipping up a zipper.
  • Nparker likes this

#3740 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 08:09 AM

The challenge might be, from what I think I recall, is the highway ends where the lanes would re-merge, creating a massive bottleneck there. It’s easier if the re-merge is at a point where there’s less highway traffic and traffic can just continue to flow.

Like it would work northbound if the Malahat had more than one lane.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users