Posted 12 August 2023 - 06:06 AM

https://twitter.com/...078993461256193

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.08.12-10_06_13.png

#3682 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 August 2023 - 10:22 PM

Anyone got any idea why it's taken three months (and counting) to fix whatever they're fixing at the Fort-Cook intersection?  That lane closure and no-left-turn was supposed to have ended in May.

#3683 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 09:46 PM

With the construction on the Malahat going to wrap up here pretty soon, i'm curious is there any other construction projects planned for the hat in the next couple years? Can we please get a few summers without any for once lol 

#3684 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 06:54 AM

The design work should be starting on the south Shawnigan overpass, and then there’s the major Goldstream improvement work that’s coming. Hard to believe we’re even going to do it without expanding the lanes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3685 JimV

JimV
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 08:51 AM

I had to drive downtown for an event on Thursday.  Navigating Government and Wharf streets was like being trapped in a traffic engineer’s bad acid trip.  Seriously, who is responsible for this grotesque, distracting, dangerous mess?  I’m inclined to blame the odious Sarah Webb, but I doubt even she has that much influence.  It’s probably a vain hope that adults will ever be in charge again of Victoria’s streets, but at least the malls remain basically hassle free if you can maneuver past the various road obstacles on the way there.

• Nparker, Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#3686 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 09:57 AM

Virtue-signalling and traffic engineering are a bad combination. Traffic backed-up on Tillicum approaching Craigflower yesterday morning.

road diet.jpg

Just 2 years ago before the road diet:

pre diet.png

#3687 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 10:05 AM

I think they’re getting rid of two through-lanes on Craigflower as well.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3688 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 10:05 AM

Sadly, I believe that is true. 

#3689 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 01:28 PM

I used to visit a health professional who moved for a short time to Wharf St. She had so many complaints from her clients she moved to Oak Bay....thank god! My husband had to drop me off in the parking lot on lower Wharf as I couldn't walk far. Very dangerous trying to get in and out of there. 

#3690 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 01:28 PM

Oh man, that stretch is so bad now. Yeesh.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.

#3691 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 02:46 PM

Wharf street has always been a god damned mess, so many people trying to rat run through there to get to James Bay. Unless you have somewhere to be on wharf street.i don't know why anyone would take it instead of Douglas or Blanshard.

#3692 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 02:47 PM

Probably the best solution would be to make wharf a one way street heading south, from at least Yates if not fisgard

Edited by GaryOak, 15 October 2023 - 02:49 PM.

#3693 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 05:05 PM

Wharf street has always been a god damned mess, so many people trying to rat run through there to get to James Bay. Unless you have somewhere to be on wharf street.i don't know why anyone would take it instead of Douglas or Blanshard.

Nope, it wasn’t always.

It became much, much worse after the bike lane was installed. That created a busy, albeit slow street, into a real complex dog’s breakfast that now has to carry the volume of two streets after they closed Government.

The two realities (before and after) are not even comparable.
  • Nparker, Barrrister, FogPub and 1 other like this

Know it all.

#3694 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,081 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 05:47 AM

CAPITAL DAILY:

Last Tuesday the Huu-ay-aht celebrated the completion of the 76km ​​Bamfield Main Road Reconciliation Project. The First Nations had been calling for years for improvement to the risky unpaved road between Port Alberni and Bamfield. But change came only after a 2019 bus rollover killed two first-year UVic students.

The project has taken three years since it was announced, and involves chip-sealing, seal-coat hard surfacing, and drainage improvements to reduce flooding-related closures. BC put in $36M and the Huu-ay-aht contributed $5M.

That final cost grew some $10M from the initial estimate, and the project lasted further into 2024 than projected. A strategy for maintaining the new road still needs to be worked out, the Huu-ay-aht announcement said.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 October 2023 - 05:47 AM.

#3695 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 07:12 AM

It’s a dangerous road now with massive ditches. One moment of inattention and you’re going to have a bad day.

Know it all.

#3696 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,081 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 07:29 AM

It’s a dangerous road now with massive ditches. One moment of inattention and you’re going to have a bad day.

Don't you just sort of drive down the middle of a road like that though, and only move over when the rare oncoming vehicle is coming?

#3697 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 07:32 AM

Too many twists and turns to be in the middle.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#3698 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 October 2023 - 01:43 AM

Probably the best solution would be to make wharf a one way street heading south, from at least Yates if not fisgard

Sounds good, but where's the corresponding one-way going north?  Not Government St. any more.  Not Douglas.

And how does Yates traffic get to the bridge? (going Yates-->Government-->Pandora is not a viable option; that bit can't handle the traffic is has now)

#3699 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 06:11 PM

The design work should be starting on the south Shawnigan overpass, and then there’s the major Goldstream improvement work that’s coming. Hard to believe we’re even going to do it without expanding the lanes.

ughhhhh... wasn't aware of of either of those. The South Shawnigan overpass makes me nervous as i make 15-25 round trips per year... 

#3700 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 07:50 PM

Oh yeah, it could be a huge project. But who knows what the final design will be.

The big delay will be the Goldstream upgrades.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users