Photo

Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#3701 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 18 October 2023 - 09:34 PM

The secret is to avoid doing just about anything in the CofV.   I sure as hell would not want to have a business there.                              

• JimV and max.bravo like this

#3702 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,087 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 06:25 AM

‘Somebody is going to be killed’: Fernwood residents demand change after cyclist struck at intersection

https://www.cheknews...ection-1174015/

screenshot-www.cheknews.ca-2023.10.21-10_23_51.png

Maybe there would be less issues if our intersections didn't look so ridiculous.

screenshot-www.cheknews.ca-2023.10.21-10_26_38.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2023 - 06:27 AM.

#3703 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 06:44 AM

I didn’t know what to do when I drove up to that very intersection in the summer. My brain said a design that bad must be a four-way stop. Then I realized I can’t cross the street, then a car honked at me from behind, I thought oh ****, I better go, then a car comes down the hill not stopping, honks at me, driver took a moment to yell, she also pointed at my stop sign. Yes, thanks lady, just trying to figure out this dog’s breakfast on the fly.

That’s why accidents happen at that intersection.
  • mbjj, FogPub and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3704 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 06:46 AM

I also suspect the bike rider entered the intersection before he confirmed car or cars were going to stop.

Reddit thread from a year ago:

What the heck is with the signage at Fernwood and Haultain?

https://www.reddit.c...t_fernwood_and/

I'm so confused and wanted to check here before emailing the city in case I'm just an idiot. When travelling along Haultain, there is a stop sign, so that's pretty clear, but then on Fernwood the signs seem to indicate drivers should yield to cyclists and pedestrians. So if I'm cycling along Haultain, once I stop at the stop sign, does a car approaching on Fernwood yield? No matter if I'm driving or cycling I'm always yielding right of way at that intersection because I'm terrified of getting pancaked or doing the pancaking. It feels like everyone approaching that intersection exhibits similar confusion. Anyone know that the law is?

Prior to the City messing with it:

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.10.21-10_48_38.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2023 - 06:49 AM.

#3705 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 06:50 AM

Considering how few bikes there are on the roads, there is a staggering amount of collisions with vehicles.

It’s 1:100, and so many accidents.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3706 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 12:14 PM

Oh yeah, it could be a huge project. But who knows what the final design will be.

The big delay will be the Goldstream upgrades.

I guess taking the Finlason Arm route in the summer will have to continue... 

• Mike K. likes this

#3707 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 03:00 PM

I'm through that Fernwood intersection several times a week. They should have left it as a four-way stop, or put the stop signs on Fernwood, not on Haultain. Haultain has the bike lanes and it seems cyclists want to go through there without slowing or stopping. 

• aastra and Nparker like this

#3708 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 03:21 PM

...Haultain has the bike lanes and it seems cyclists want to go through there without slowing or stopping. 

Since the plethora of bike lanes came into existence, it seems as though quite a number of cyclists have developed a very laissez-faire attitude towards road safety.

#3709 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 03:36 PM

Methinks it would be much simpler and much more intuitive to have stop signs for the Fernwood vehicle traffic and have no stop signs for the Haultain cycle traffic.

• LJ likes this

#3710 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 03:38 PM

Yes that’s intuitive, but they blocked vehicle traffic there, so cars -have- to stop. Because of this blockage, all users have to stop, otherwise you’d have an even worse scenario.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#3711 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 03:45 PM

I think "intuitive" was the first thing taken off the table when it came to designing our local cycling network.

#3712 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,567 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 03:54 PM

Do we have statistics on car-bike collisions and how they compare to pre-bike lanes and the removal of travel lanes for bike lanes?

Know it all.

#3713 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 21 October 2023 - 04:02 PM

Do we have statistics on car-bike collisions

I haven't seen very many car-bikes in Victoria so I doubt they're crashing into each other all that often.

#3714 FogPub

FogPub
  • 982 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 October 2023 - 12:52 PM

Methinks it would be much simpler and much more intuitive to have stop signs for the Fernwood vehicle traffic and have no stop signs for the Haultain cycle traffic.

Other way around.  All traffic on Haultain (the minor road of the two) should have to stop, Fernwood should not.

#3715 JimV

JimV
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 26 October 2023 - 05:21 PM

I think "intuitive" was the first thing taken off the table when it came to designing our local cycling network.

Too true.  I hadn’t been on upper Fort street for a while.  Today I discovered that all the construction was to create a morass of confusing and dangerous curbs, bollards, lines, etc.  All to constrict traffic for the benefit of a handful of cyclists (I noticed two between Cook and Richardson.)  Another crazed nightmare from the dark Webb, presumably with the encouragement of the mid wits on council.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#3716 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 26 October 2023 - 05:45 PM

Other way around.  All traffic on Haultain (the minor road of the two) should have to stop, Fernwood should not.

Just to clarify, I was assuming the whole point of these changes was to optimize and prioritize Haultain bicycle traffic. That intersection was a perfectly functional 4-way stop for ages before the recent changes, so maintaining the stop for Fernwood traffic would have represented no change at all. And since vehicle traffic can now no longer cross that intersection along Haultain, it would have been logically consistent with the supposed spirit of the mission to do away with the stop for cycle traffic along Haultain while maintaining the stop for Fernwood traffic.

But I'm aware that logical consistency and the supposed spirit of the mission don't usually have any relevance to these kinds of controversies.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3717 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 26 October 2023 - 06:18 PM

Ultimately they've created a cluttered and confusing new intersection which allows motorists to proceed along Fernwood without stopping while also seeming to encourage cyclists to proceed along Haultain without stopping. Even as a pedestrian it's confusing now, because the look and feel of the entire arrangement seems to be prioritizing the cycling traffic along Haultain, even though it actually isn't prioritizing the cycling traffic along Haultain (except it sorta kinda is, ideologically, in appearance and in principle, but not really).

#3718 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 26 October 2023 - 06:27 PM

Welcome to the world of virtue signal engineering.
  • phx and Barrrister like this

#3719 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 26 October 2023 - 06:54 PM

Ultimately they've created a cluttered and confusing new intersection which allows motorists to proceed along Fernwood without stopping while also seeming to encourage cyclists to proceed along Haultain without stopping. 

Yup.

#3720 FogPub

FogPub
  • 982 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 October 2023 - 09:28 PM

Too true.  I hadn’t been on upper Fort street for a while.  Today I discovered that all the construction was to create a morass of confusing and dangerous curbs, bollards, lines, etc.  All to constrict traffic for the benefit of a handful of cyclists (I noticed two between Cook and Richardson.)  Another crazed nightmare from the dark Webb, presumably with the encouragement of the mid wits on council.

A lot of it is because the Fort St bike lane is - stupidly - on the left side of the road, and when Fort becomes two-way those cyclists have to cross.  There was one signalled crossing (at the school); it now looks like there'll be three: at the school, at Fernwood, and at Harrison.

Pathetic.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users