Escher on Broughton
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 836-838 Broughton Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 10
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The 10-storey Escher on Broughton condo is comprised of 84-units of one-bedroom, two-bedroom and penthouse con... (view full profile)
Learn more about Escher on Broughton on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Escher on Broughton | 10-storeys; 29.9m | Condos | Built - completed in 2017

• Please log in to reply
472 replies to this topic

#281 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:32 PM

Looking at the Escher website this is very near a sellout.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#282 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

July 27

Escher-on-Broughton-July-27-2016.jpg

• Rebecca K likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#283 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,773 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:41 PM

It should have been taller. Yes I know that would block the views of the cathedral - from pretty much nowhere - since unless you are standing somewhere on Quadra within about 2 blocks north or south of CCC it's not visible now. Somehow 5-10 additional floors on the Escher would have made CCC even less visible from Blanshard Street, Vancouver Street, Yates Street and all streets south of Fairfield. 

And we wonder why our vacancy rate remains so low. The mind boggles.

• VicHockeyFan, grantpalin and Rebecca K like this

#284 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

It should have been taller. Yes I know that would block the views of the cathedral - from pretty much nowhere - since unless you are standing somewhere on Quadra within about 2 blocks north or south of CCC it's not visible now. Somehow 5-10 additional floors on the Escher would have made CCC even less visible from Blanshard Street, Vancouver Street, Yates Street and all streets south of Fairfield. 

And we wonder why our vacancy rate remains so low. The mind boggles.

Yea I don't like the look of this building at all at 10 stories.  Should have been 15 stories imo.

• Nparker, 2F2R and Rebecca K like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#285 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,773 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:35 PM

Who decided that the views of religious buildings must be preserved ad infinitum? Canada in 2016 is a more-or-less secular society and yet, these structures are still deemed "special" and treated with a reverence I am not certain really matters any more. I am no way advocating the destruction of religious buildings, but I don't see why they need to be treated with special devotion. Preserved? Yes; Venerated? I am not so sure. Am I alone in thinking that perhaps good contemporary architecture (assuming Victoria has any) deserves recognition of its own, rather than always having to humble itself to "fit in" with its older neighbours?

And as far as views of CCC are concerned, if Escher were 50% taller more people would likely be afforded a view of the Cathedral than have one now. 

• Rebecca K likes this

#286 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

I had to, otherwise I could not have agreed, since "to short" doesn't mean the same as "too short".

Thanks four that, eye've never bean two good at spelling ...

• Nparker and Rebecca K like this

#287 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:09 AM

Religion aside, cathedrals are beautiful buildings. I think they're far more important to our society for a myriad of reasons than something like the Northern Junk that officialdom gushes over and would throw itself in front of a bus to save.
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#288 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:54 AM

Add Ians Coffee Stop to the above comment.
People were ready to die to save that decrepit rotting hullk of asbestos and lead paint . Yes they saved it and now its been boarded up for another 3 years.
Great job.
I personally would like to see it gone.
People want to save the memory not the structure

Edited by HB, 28 July 2016 - 07:34 AM.

• Nparker, jonny and HB like this

#289 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:26 AM

Here, here, HB.

I hate that Ian Turner building. It's an ugly POS that could have been recreated in a day by a first year architectural student.

#290 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:31 AM

I think it's being rebuilt as part of the redevelopment of that entire lot: http://victoria.citi...urner-building/

Know it all.

#291 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:35 AM

Where is Manley Eng when we need him

#292 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:38 AM

I think it's being rebuilt as part of the redevelopment of that entire lot: http://victoria.citi...urner-building/

Well, they sure are wasting no time.

It's amazing how many family owned properties are so mismanaged in this town. That's a prime piece of land to have generating no income (for how many years now?).

#293 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:08 AM

Where is Manley Eng when we need him

Who is that?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#294 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:10 AM

I have been inside that shanty and can assure our readers that there is not one stick not one nail nor one wall that will be used in any rebuilding of that place .in true victoria fashion they may keep a one square foot section of the existing building then build a whole new structure but then call it restored because of the little bit of original piece
That place need a D9 to put it out of its misery but would probably only need a John Deere lawn tractor from Oak Bay to do the job
  • Nparker likes this

#295 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

Who decided that the views of religious buildings must be preserved ad infinitum? Canada in 2016 is a more-or-less secular society and yet, these structures are still deemed "special" and treated with a reverence I am not certain really matters any more. I am no way advocating the destruction of religious buildings, but I don't see why they need to be treated with special devotion.

Who decided that views of government buildings and hotels must be preserved?

#296 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,773 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

Who decided that views of government buildings and hotels must be preserved?

Other than the Empress and the Legislature which of these types of buildings have their views preserved?

#297 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

Every building along the victoria harbour and old town itself no tall buildings west of Douglas st so views of old town are preserved

Government house
Legislature
Customers house
Old post office
Belmont building
Imperial oil building
Empress
Crystal garden
Want more?

#298 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,773 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

Every building along the victoria harbour and old town itself no tall buildings west of Douglas st so views of old town are preserved

I meant is there a blanket policy to protect the views of hotels and government buildings throughout the CoV in the same way as there appears to be a policy to preserve the views of churches, even when views of those buildings don't really exist? I appreciate, and for the most part agree with, the preservation of views of buildings adjacent to the Inner Harbour.

#299 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

Plenty of churches have absolutely no protection in the form of view corridors or height restrictions around them. But wonderful architectural assets, several of which are downtown churches, do.

Know it all.

#300 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,773 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:24 PM

CCC is a beautiful building, but even before Escher was proposed it was not especially visible from even a couple of blocks away. What exactly is being preserved by forcing the new building to be so short?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users