CFB Esquimalt / navy news

• Please log in to reply
959 replies to this topic

#781 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,048 posts

Posted 06 March 2022 - 05:47 PM

I blame the government that will allow all 20,000 claims.

#782 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 10:01 AM

Acts of racism, sexual harassment end CFB Esquimalt basic training course

3 individuals kicked out of course, those responsible for racist messages yet to be identified

https://www.saanichn...raining-course/

The Canadian Armed Forces has terminated a new recruit training course at CFB Esquimalt after investigating four incidents of sexual harassment and racism reported there in just three weeks.

Between Feb. 15 and March 9, staff were made aware of a group chat sharing a sexually explicit photo of a recruit, two other recruits making sexual comments about an instructor, and two separate recruits finding racist messages on their personal equipment.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 March 2022 - 10:03 AM.

#783 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 10:18 AM

One person was discharged from the military.

Not good.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#784 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 March 2022 - 11:18 AM

One person was discharged from the military.

Not good.

Even those who had nothing to do with this are finished. How often are these courses run, 1-2 a year? They will sit in limbo for months waiting for a replacement course while their peers move forward with careers.

This is what happens unfortunately when poor moral and lack of Federal leadership force you to accept whomever walks in the recruiting doors.

#785 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 05:10 PM

A basic training course at the Naval Fleet School has been cancelled after a series of incidents that include racist harassment, sexualized comments and the sharing of a sexually explicit photo, according to Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt.

The course, a basic military qualification course designed to train new sailors, was cancelled March 11, and three recruits were dismissed.

According to CFB Esquimalt, racist messages were directed at a recruit, a sexually explicit photo was shared among recruits, and sexually inappropriate comments made to an instructor. The incidents took place between Feb. 15 and March 9.

In a statement provided to the Times Colonist, the Royal Canadian Navy said it takes strong action on allegations of misconduct.

https://www.timescol...-racism-5179055

#786 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 08:52 AM

^ Exactly what I said. The entire course is scuttled due to the actions of a few people. Those sitting in barracks waiting to see what is going to happen to their careers will likely have figured out that they made a poor choice and would be better off elsewhere.

#787 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 02:59 PM

I’m sure they’ll keep those recruits occupied. This is not the worst thing the military has seen.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#788 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 09:18 AM

The Colville Road base hospital is being evacuated due to a suspicious package. Explosives crews are on-site.

Know it all.

#789 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 09:36 PM

The Colville Road base hospital is being evacuated due to a suspicious package. Explosives crews are on-site.

I’m guessing it didn’t explode?

#790 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 04:35 PM

No more Regina for this guy.

Royal Canadian Navy relieves HMCS Regina ship commander for 'inappropriate conduct'
The navy says it took action after an incident that recently took place on another vessel during a naval training exercise.

• todd likes this

#791 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 07:26 PM

Hmm. He just took command like two months ago. I wonder if this was something from a prior role?

#792 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 10:01 AM

No more Regina for this guy.

Just her majesty's

#793 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 05:15 PM

High-ranking sailor removed from role over ‘inappropriate comments’ at CFB Esquimalt event

July 11, 2022

Screenshot 2022-07-11 18.11.09.png
Chief PO Timothy Blonde

A high-ranking sailor with Maritime Forces Pacific has been relieved of his appointment after an investigation found he made “inappropriate comments” about a junior sailor’s appearance at CFB Esquimalt, navy officials say.

Timothy Blonde was relieved of his role as Formation Chief Petty Officer of Maritime Forces Pacific — the most senior non-commissioned appointment with MARPAC — following comments he made at a May 6 social event at the base, according to the Royal Canadian Navy.

While the evidence did not support charges against Blonde under the Code of Service Discipline or Criminal Code of Canada, it “clearly showed that his conduct was unacceptable, and incompatible with his duties and responsibilities…eroding the credibility necessary to execute the duties associated with this appointment,” said Royal Canadian Navy Cmdr. Vice-Admiral Angus Topshee in a statement.

#794 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 09:52 PM

My guess is former high ranking sailor was talked to but didn't see anything wrong with his conduct. Basically boss gave him a chance to be apologize and swear not to do it again but he didn't. 

Thus:

"I no longer have confidence in CPO 1 Blonde’s ability to carry out his leadership duties, maintain discipline, and ensure the highest standards of ethics and values of the Royal Canadian Navy and the Canadian Armed Forces,” Topshee wrote in a statement published on the Department of National Defence web page."

#795 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,048 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 03:21 AM

Boooooooring. We don’t even get to know what he says about the junior sailors appearance.

Was it “you look like sh*t”?
Or “you look good in that beret”?
  • Nparker and pontcanna like this

#796 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 08:32 AM

My guess is former high ranking sailor was talked to but didn't see anything wrong with his conduct. Basically boss gave him a chance to be apologize and swear not to do it again but he didn't. 

Thus:

"I no longer have confidence in CPO 1 Blonde’s ability to carry out his leadership duties, maintain discipline, and ensure the highest standards of ethics and values of the Royal Canadian Navy and the Canadian Armed Forces,” Topshee wrote in a statement published on the Department of National Defence web page."

That is not how it works unfortunately. Even if the Chief was allowed to apologize, the suggestion would be that the 'survivor' felt obligated to accept it by virtue of their rank. As soon as he made the comment he was finished. He may not have even realized that what he said was inappropriate. 

Edited by spanky123, 12 July 2022 - 08:34 AM.

#797 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 09:15 AM

Yes, that’s how it was explained to me. It was a step too far and there is no coming back, when the incident occurred in such a public and highly attended setting.

Know it all.

#798 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 09:26 AM

^ And lets face it, you don't get to formation CPO or any other senior rank without having accrued a few people who would like to see you out of your job. Probably a few CPO1's jockeying as we speak.

• Nparker likes this

#799 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 12:07 PM

He may not have even realized that what he said was inappropriate. 

Of course but he should have. Like a certain VV member.

In any work place setting, not just the military, it is not appropriate for a senior person to make a comment about the appearance of a junior person. Also that even though it was a "social" occasion, it is still a work function. Something that every young person has to learn going in to the work force i.e. don't get drunk at the office xmas party.

• Matt R. likes this

#800 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 02:36 PM

Of course but he should have. Like a certain VV member.

In any work place setting, not just the military, it is not appropriate for a senior person to make a comment about the appearance of a junior person. Also that even though it was a "social" occasion, it is still a work function. Something that every young person has to learn going in to the work force i.e. don't get drunk at the office xmas party.

I haven't read anywhere that he was drunk but there are lots of things one could say that would have been perfectly acceptable 10 years ago but that are not today. Sometimes it is hard to keep up.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users