AirBnB, VRBO, vacation and executive rental news and issues in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1364 replies to this topic

#1361 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

C'mon man, cut out the malarkey

• 14,628 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:39 PM

^I'm not sure why they wouldn't let a management company handle the off-season. It seems like a weird way to deal with the income/hassle balance. Why carry the expenses of a vacant suite if it's just sitting empty not making you money?

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#1362 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 18,531 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:43 PM

the off-season monthly revenue might only be 1/4 or 1/6 of what high season is.  like lots with human motivation it's hard to feel so passionately about working it with so relatively little money.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 September 2020 - 12:44 PM.

#1363 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 60,495 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:57 PM

^I'm not sure why they wouldn't let a management company handle the off-season. It seems like a weird way to deal with the income/hassle balance. Why carry the expenses of a vacant suite if it's just sitting empty not making you money?

As I said, all expenses are covered in the high season. The profit is in the unit appreciating in value over time, without the hassle of day-to-day management.

In addition to that, there's also the issue of wear and tear, there's also the issue of the unknown, and there's also the issue income tax implications.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1364 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

C'mon man, cut out the malarkey

• 14,628 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:00 PM

OK, the tax thing might make or break. Wear and tear, that's no biggie, that will happen regardless.

Make it a one week minimum stay. If no-one books, fine but if you get even a single booking it's five hundred easy bucks.

In for a penny, in for a pound I say.

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#1365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 60,495 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:09 PM

C'mon, Wolf Blitzer, keep up!

What they’ll do is set the minimum stay at something like 2 or 4 weeks outside of their target listing window, and if there’s a bite there’s a bite, but they’re not interested in generating more revenue than the cost to carry the unit per annum.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users