* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#5381 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:26 AM

^That's a very weird thing. It's an excerpt from a longer Canadian Press article, taken from Black Press' age-gated Canadian Evergreen news site, which is a partner of the US-based SF Evergreen pot website. 

Not the first time Black Press published a "news" story flogging an in-house product.

#5382 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:51 AM

When actor Seth Rogen was growing up and smoking cannabis in Vancouver, he recalls there was a constant cloud of shame around the substance

The guy was born in 1982. Yeah, the late 1990s were such an oppressive era re: marijuana and drug use in general. It's not as if Hollywood and the music industry had been promoting the stuff like crazy since the 1960s.

Back when this guy wasn't even a teenager yet there were streets in Victoria that I avoided on my nightly bicycle rides because I couldn't stand that feeling of plunging through a toxic cloud while I was exercising. Little did I know I was contributing to the stigma. But then again, little did I know that the "stigma" still persists in the year 2020, and that fighting the ongoing stigma is a cause that needs to be championed.

Come on. This is ridiculous.

• Mike K., Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#5383 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:35 AM

What are you saying? That there isn't a stigma around being a pothead? c'mon

#5384 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:38 AM

Haha! I think he is confusing paranoia with shame.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5385 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:41 AM

Every pothead I know doesn't give a crap, so what shame?

• todd likes this

#5386 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,501 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:44 AM

Exactly
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5387 m3m

m3m
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:21 AM

Here's the full article:  https://www.canadian...epted-as-beer/ 

#5388 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 04:14 PM

Well here's something you likely won't see again in BC - a waterfront Cannabis Retail opportunity. This 672 square foot location is on the only road to Sooke and will be a premium spot to operate your business. Municipally approved, with the Landlord willing to sign a 5+5 year lease.

$500,000

https://www.realtor....d-no-city-value

• todd likes this

#5389 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 07:10 AM

5449 Sooke looks like the Stickleback restaurant.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5390 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:19 AM

everybody's opening one why not you?

#5391 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:25 AM

Canopy is finally back in the $20s. Took a while.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5392 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 08:35 AM

Canopy is finally back in the $20s. Took a while.

you didn't cash out?

#5393 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 10:11 PM

Council in CoV voted against allowing a government-run dispensary to open on the Fort St side of the Bay Centre: https://vancouverisl...ation-1.5204984

#5394 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 06:24 AM

I suppose a government-run dispensary probably doesn't benefit one of their friends/supporters.

• GaryRanson, mbjj and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#5395 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:21 AM

I suppose a government-run dispensary probably doesn't benefit one of their friends/supporters.

No.  The problem is that the Bay Center has businesses who want to move in around the BC Cannabis Store (on condition that it opens), and most small businesses are corporations and corporations are bad.  At least I think that's their thinking...

• TwilightZoneVictoria likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5396 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:32 AM

...most small businesses are corporations and corporations are bad.  At least I think that's their thinking...

But corporate businesses can't vote in CoV elections. You'd think council would want to encourage them.

• GaryRanson and TwilightZoneVictoria like this

#5397 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:45 AM

Council in CoV voted against allowing a government-run dispensary to open on the Fort St side of the Bay Centre: https://vancouverisl...ation-1.5204984

It appears as though the details of the council meeting from November 5th have been removed from the City website so I can only relate what I was told which may or may not be 100% accurate.

The Mayor voted against the application on the 5th of November. Only Geoff and Jeremy supported it. The rationale was that there was a FN owned pot shop that was also in the approval process and council applied their new equity lens which essentially allows them to make any decision they want. The Bay GM complained about the decision, but more importantly the Province reminded Ms. Helps about the irony of her constantly having her hand out whilst voting to block a store that generates income for the Province. Now the Mayor wants to revisit the decision.

If the City decides to make the video of the November 5th meeting available again at least the public discussion can be viewed to confirm or invalidate this.

• Nparker, GaryRanson, jasmineshinga and 1 other like this

#5398 TwilightZoneVictoria

TwilightZoneVictoria
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 11:17 AM

That's suspicious. Transparency is key to democracy.

Wondering very much why on earth they would vote down a legal cannabis dispensary considering all the illegal related stuff they condone.

They're all for squishing all low barrier/harm reduction services in a small geographic area. It works for homelessness services so why would the same principal not work for regular business?

It appears as though the details of the council meeting from November 5th have been removed from the City website so I can only relate what I was told which may or may not be 100% accurate.

#5399 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:43 PM

^ Pot shops can be only so close together. My understanding is that the FN shop and the Government shop would have been close enough that only one could get a permit.

#5400 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 01:54 PM

^ Pot shops can be only so close together. My understanding is that the FN shop and the Government shop would have been close enough that only one could get a permit.

And we know who loses in that scenario.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users