Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#5741 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,588 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:00 AM

Sure but nothing about the plant/strain maybe if it’s indica or sativa but that’s it.

Correct the pkg tells you the % of THC and the strain; I choose indica because it mellows you out to assist with my sleep, the only reason I take it. Sativa generally produces the opposite 'euphoric' effect.

#5742 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:16 AM

I thought edibles (from legal sources), were required to have labeling including THC content?

Similar to alcohol.  Just because you know the dose, doesn't mean you know what effect it will have. Empty stomach? Full stomach? etc.

#5743 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:22 AM

Also the Terpenes possibly affect the effect. The same product is fairly consistent though. 

#5744 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 03:37 AM

A majority of council voted to prepare a zoning bylaw ­amendment that would ­authorize a retail cannabis store at 182 Wilson St. within the Westside Village shopping centre.

City staff had recommended against the Truffles Group proposal as it rubbed against the city’s guidelines that cannabis retailers not be within 400 metres of an existing cannabis retailer.

“The intent of the cannabis policy is to make sure we don’t have a concentration of storefronts on the same block or in the same area,” said Coun. Matt Dell, who pointed out while the proposed new store would be within 200 metres of an existing retailer, it was not within the same storefront area.

https://www.timescol...cations-7217515

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 June 2023 - 03:37 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5745 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,588 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 09:20 AM

Excellent barely a 3 minute drive away for those times when my edible supplier runs short :)

#5746 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 09:57 AM

To be young and carefree again :)

With alcohol, you know what you’re getting into, each beer stacks up accordingly. With pot, eat the wrong gummy, or smoke the wrong weed, and you can spiral into uncontrollable paranoia with no ability to get a grip on yourself. That’s a terrifying concept to me.

I feel like most of us figure out our alcohol tolerance after we've had too much (or is it just me and my friends). Weed is similar, it takes experience to know what your limit is. And just like how some people have a bad reaction to alcohol, some people will have a bad reaction to THC. 

The biggest difference to me too much alcohol can kill you, while too much THC just makes you feel like you're going to die.   

#5747 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 10:51 AM

Also, thousands of baked people do less damage and are less dangerous. I went to Amsterdam in the 90s and spilled my beer on someone. Having just spent four years partying in Hull I was ready to talk myself out of a fight. I was shocked when he just said “no worries dude” and bought me a new beer.

Edited by dasmo, 30 June 2023 - 10:51 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5748 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 10:53 AM

^that's only because Quebec is stuck in the 1600s.
  • Matt R., dasmo and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5749 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 10:55 AM

I feel like most of us figure out our alcohol tolerance after we've had too much (or is it just me and my friends). Weed is similar, it takes experience to know what your limit is. And just like how some people have a bad reaction to alcohol, some people will have a bad reaction to THC.

The biggest difference to me too much alcohol can kill you, while too much THC just makes you feel like you're going to die.

One puff of the wrong weed can make you paranoid and scarily so, for a few hours. It’s awful stuff, that can do awful things.

It’s entire purpose is to mess with your head. It has no other role, unless refined for actual medicinal needs. But stoners will always espouse its virtues, to avoid admitting it’s a drug, and they’re addicted to it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5750 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 11:29 AM

One puff!  

#5751 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 11:59 AM

It’s reefer madness in here haha

#5752 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,588 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 12:08 PM

/\ Not entirely sure what you mean by "refined for medicinal needs" Mike. Pot is ultimately pot and while there are certainly some folks addicted to it just as there (many more) users addicted to alcohol and other substances many, many other people partake in pot for other reasons; to be clear there is no difference between so-called medicinal pot and the pot consumed by recreational users - its the same thing, the only difference are the legal categories of the two but ultimately they are one and the same in terms of composition. They are not however different kinds or strains of cannabis plants.

My buddy about to undergo his second kidney transplant in about 60 days days has used it for over 25 years to combat the extreme nausea felt when his first kidney failed and now again since he started on dialysis as the original second donor kidney fails. Pot is the only thing keeping him from perpetually yacking his guts.

Similarly other folks - Rick Simpson being among the best examples in this country - use if for pain control for such serious issues as cancer. I do edibles purely to assist with mitigating sleep issues due to a lower leg circulatory issue. But I take them only as and when absolutely needed, perhaps 2x/week. Yes they provide a pleasant buzz, especially if I take more than three 25mg gummies, but I very clearly know what my threshold is and I can and do for the most part function without the edibles and am in no way addicted to them. 

In terms of smoking the "wrong" weed perhaps that may be the case in terms of something stronger like hash but for the most part unless it is some quite exotic strain, run of the mill pot is pretty benign. I know of several relationships or marriages particularly that have failed due exclusively to booze, but offhand I can't think of any where pot was the root issue.

Like most folks the stories I can relate about people who had very serious personal or family issues with alcohol far, far outweigh the number of instances of the same involving pot. By a very long shot alcohol is the most troublesome, costly and problematic, abused substance in our society.

#5753 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 June 2023 - 01:06 PM

ASE, take 4 gummies and then writeup your best fishing story for us. Please?  :thumbsup:

• AllseeingEye and Matt R. like this

#5754 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 02:12 PM

Modern weed is nuts. The stuff people are smoking today is multitudes times stronger than what kids grew up with in the 80s and 90s.

Put that garbage down.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#5755 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,588 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 03:40 PM

ASE, take 4 gummies and then writeup your best fishing story for us. Please?  :thumbsup:

For the 25mg thc edible variant, which is what I get, three is about my limit in one go and that at an overnight BBQ with the boys last summer, where I was able to sleep it off. Four would impair me to the point it would be a biggest "fish story" ever, and not remotely believable :). Three edibles at that dose and I was unable to use kitchen implements - like a knife - to make a basic late night sandwich and required help getting up two flights of stairs to the bedroom later.

Now the other guys - who also smoke pot, which I do not - can handle up to five of those babies; at that dose they are able to accurately discern and describe the origins of the universe (at least in their minds!), as well as discuss such deep topics as "Is it possible to invent a lasso small enough to harness a sardine?" and other interesting subjects.....

#5756 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 June 2023 - 04:22 PM

Challenge failed. Bummer.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#5757 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:04 PM

https://youtu.be/zhQlcMHhF3w

#5758 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:37 PM

One puff of the wrong weed can make you paranoid and scarily so, for a few hours. It’s awful stuff, that can do awful things.

It’s entire purpose is to mess with your head. It has no other role, unless refined for actual medicinal needs. But stoners will always espouse its virtues, to avoid admitting it’s a drug, and they’re addicted to it.

You make it sound like it's Russian roulette every time someone lights up a joint. Just because someone had a bad experience with it doesn't mean that no one else should be able to partake in it. Weed is not for everyone, just like how not everyone can tolerate alcohol.  

Speaking of alcohol, what is the purpose of drinking alcohol?  The addictions, health issues, and deaths and injuries it causes is well known - yet many people still need to have a cold one or a glass of wine with their dinner.  

Edited by sukika, 30 June 2023 - 05:42 PM.

#5759 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:41 PM

... many people still need to have a cold one or a glass of wine with their dinner.  Isn't that an addiction? 

I suspect for most people it's a want rather than a need.

#5760 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:43 PM

I like weed and alcohol together. Best of both worlds.
  • Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users