PROPOSED
1555 McKenzie Avenue
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1555 McKenzie Avenue
Municipality: Saanich
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
1555 McKenzie Avenue is a proposal to redevelop the McKenzie Professional Centre into a six-storey rental and ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1555 McKenzie Avenue on Citified.ca
Photo

McKenzie Professional Centre | Redevelopment or renovation

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:45 PM

We've received word that the McKenzie Professional Centre on the southwest corner of Shelbourne at McKenzie is slated for either redevelopment or an extensive renovation. This is the building that houses the Quizno's and multiple medical offices.

With the three gas stations (one of which is all gated up) and this building, that intersection is looking pretty sad these days.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

Don't you mean "McKenzie Mall"?

#3 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

We've received word that the McKenzie Professional Centre on the southwest corner of Shelbourne at McKenzie is slated for either redevelopment or an extensive renovation. This is the building that houses the Quizno's and multiple medical offices.

With the three gas stations (one of which is all gated up) and this building, that intersection is looking pretty sad these days.

It is on the southeast corner but yes I know the one you mean. This strip mall is largely a one story development with extra parking underground. I assume by "redevelopment" it will go to two stories like Hillside Mall and Uptown (even better would be two stories of commercial + residential on top).

#4 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

I've heard nothing about that one.  The empty lot across from the mall besides the Petro Canada was slated for development a few years ago but couldn't find tenants so it was cancelled

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

It is already two storeys it has a ground level and an upper level both with parking at the same level.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

Yup that's probably it. I'm just going by what I was told.

It's a very underused building. I mean the darned thing was dated from the moment it was completed and always dead inside save for the folks visiting their dentist or doctor.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

Hmm... almost there...

McKenzie Professional Centre

http://goo.gl/maps/QqezW

And it is on the south-west corner, unless I'm getting my shredded wheat in a knot.

• phx likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

So it is MPC?
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#9 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:22 AM

Hmm... almost there...

And it is on the south-west corner, unless I'm getting my shredded wheat in a knot.

Yes, sorry about that. I got mixed up. I was thinking of the plaza on the southeast corner of McKenzie & Quadra (which also has a Quiznos and medical offices).

• sebberry likes this

#10 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hmm... almost there...

It's a mall.  We got a ruling on this from the IOME a few years ago. :muching_out:

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

It's a mall.  We got a ruling on this from the IOME a few years ago. :muching_out:

The McKenzie Centre Mall of Saanich Professionals?  iam-1_zpsff56f7b9.gif

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#12 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:58 AM

400-unit rental complex proposed for McKenzie Avenue at Shelbourne Street

https://victoria.cit...lbourne-street/

Ps, tiger, thank you for the image.

Know it all.

#13 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:45 PM

It's funny. The monotonous/repetitive nature of the facade was giving me serious Chatham/Herald/Government block proposal vibes, so it wasn't a surprise to read that it's the same company. 400 units is fantastic for this spot!

• Jackerbie likes this

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:46 PM

why can't it go higher?  there are no neighbours to bother/shadow.  this is a great spot for height.  they should axe the fairway too.  build up and put a grocery store back in the ground if they want.  that grocery store is 40+ years old.  get rid of it for something modern.  same reasons.  nobody nearby would mind.  shadows would be all out towards mckenzie shelbourne and cedar hill.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 January 2021 - 12:54 PM.

#15 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:51 PM

Six storeys is the zoning limit but I think a set-back seventh of penthouses would be great. Make the profits pay for subsidized suites on the second.

• Brantastic and Victoria Watcher like this

#16 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:44 PM

why can't it go higher?  there are no neighbours to bother/shadow.  this is a great spot for height.

Because they chose not to. The new Shelbourne plan allows up to 8 storeys, they've proposed 6.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#17 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:43 PM

Because they chose not to. The new Shelbourne plan allows up to 8 storeys, they've proposed 6.

Probably because 8 storeys would have to be concrete or mass timber. 

#18 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:31 PM

Big changes in the old hood: that is our old place in the very lower left corner of the image above, on Cedar Hill Rd. I can still make out the large cherry tree in the back yard. I'm so old I remember the neighborhood well before McKenzie Ave or the mall even existed. Precisely where the library sits was our hockey pond in winter. Older teenage boys used to bow hunt for pheasant just about where you'd be walking into the front door @ Home Depot, heh...

• Matt R. likes this

#19 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:16 PM

Scrolling back through this thread made me realize I miss Quiznos.....

• sebberry, newbie_01 and Fox like this

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:48 PM

Scrolling back through this thread made me realize I miss Quiznos.....

Is there really only one left around here?  I liked it too. Too bad :(

Quiznos.JPG

• newbie_01 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users