• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

And don't even think of trying to get a 'residents parking' sticker for your commercial vehicle as you aren't allowed to park those on the street overnight.

Did you know about these rules before moving into the neighbourhood?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

Seriously?  Yikes. 

I had a quick look through the Oak Bay bylaws and didn't see this but I believe you.

Absolutely.. same with Dean Park.. rules banning any "chattel" from being stored on your property.. friggin ridiculous..

cakes..

#23 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hold on a sec, not cutting their lawn?

Yup, garden was unkempt and someone on our street called to complain.

Bylaw Ben came rushing over looking very smart in his black stormtrooper uniform and wrote it up and slapped a notice on the door!

Too funny though as he obviously thinks the law is for others, I saw him last week stopped on Henderson across from Uplands School questioning some door to door guys offering power washer services. He parked his personal unmarked car (blue Mazda) on a yellow line blocking a bike lane. I wish I had my camera with me!
I spoke with the guys a few minutes later and they told me he gave them an hour to leave the municipality or the cops would be called....they had an inter municipal business licence and he told them it wasn't applicable in oak bay as there is a bylaw against door to door sales.
I swear they make this crap up as they go along
  • Mike K. and sebberry like this

#24 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

Did you know about these rules before moving into the neighbourhood?

Nope but I bet lots of munis have similar nimby rules

#25 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

And don't even think of trying to get a 'residents parking' sticker for your commercial vehicle as you aren't allowed to park those on the street overnight.

House across the street from ours received a ticket for not cutting their lawn......

I had a friend years ago who would drive the company vehicle home in the City of Victoria and was ticketed for parking a commercial vehicle in a residential area, so that applies to all areas of the city I would imagine

As for boats and RVs in Oak Bay, yes you can't park those at your house.  I support that because you can afford a boat, but you are so cheap you can't afford to pay for moorage at a marina.

#26 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

I wonder if that "junky rusty car" complaint was counted as mischief.  I'll bet it was

I sometimes go to a greasy spoon over in Esquimalt and for 2 years there was a bullet hole in the window until they replaced it.  The food was good so i didn't mind, but I always said to myself "welcome to esquimalt"  everytime I looked at the window

#27 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:26 PM

As for boats and RVs in Oak Bay, yes you can't park those at your house.  I support that because you can afford a boat, but you are so cheap you can't afford to pay for moorage at a marina.

Oh please.  Just because you can afford a small boat doesn't mean you have money to waste on year-round moorage.

What about an RV?  You can afford one of those so you should be forced to pay to keep it at the trailer park all year? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

I had a friend years ago who would drive the company vehicle home in the City of Victoria and was ticketed for parking a commercial vehicle in a residential area, so that applies to all areas of the city I would imagine.

It only applies to large commercial vehicles. He would not have been ticketed if he was driving a van or a pick-up, but if he was then there may be other factors involved.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

I don't know what he was driving in Victoria.  In Oak Bay you can't park a signed vehicle of any size on the street or your driveway

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:08 AM

Yeah, the rules are far more lax here. I see commercial vehicles parked absolutely everywhere. Perhaps the only restriction is in "residential parking" zones, but even then I seem to recall commercial vehicles. I dunno...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

We have bylaws against this type of behavior in Saanich as well but the bylaw officers do not seem to have the means to do anything about it.

guru resized.jpg

#32 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

I've seen certain areas of saanich where people are storing large excavators and dump trucks in their yard.  UGLY!!!!

#33 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

I saw a childs bicycle left in the front yard of an Oak Bay residence last night.

Just terrible.

#34 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

^I hope you called it in

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

I'm sure the child had been arrested for mischief and the bike left behind.

• David Bratzer likes this

Know it all.

#36 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

I hear the bike was seized and is subject to forfeiture to reclaim costs.

cakes..

#37 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

so you are all ok living next to someone with a massive excavator and dump truck parked in their yard...interesting

#38 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

I'm certainly not but there has to be a common sense factor here too.

#39 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

so you are all ok living next to someone with a massive excavator and dump truck parked in their yard...interesting

I'd rather live next to someone like that who isn't going to be bothered by me doing some noisy work around my house once in a while, or heaven forbid do an oil change in my driveway than across from some old busybody who will call the municipality when my grass gets longer than 2.1"

• David Bratzer likes this

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

I've never seen an excavator parked on someone's property in Victoria. Work trucks, who cares.

What is becoming an issue where I live is non-residents are starting to drop off their cars and walk downtown or to the offices in the neighborhood, making parking a little tricky sometimes.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)