Toronto Blue Jays, Seattle Mariners and MLB discussion

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#461 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:16 PM

Well, that was unexpected:

OFFICIAL: We've acquired Minor League INF Jesus Lopez and international signing bonus pool space from the @Athletics in exchange for DH/1B Kendrys Morales and cash considerations.

[source]

There was speculation as to whether the Blue Jays would manage to move Morales by the trade deadline, but they've managed to move Tulowitzki, Martin, AND Morales all in one offseason. Granted they will be in hock to Tulo for a couple of years after this, but they've still really revitalized the team. They now have much more flexibility in filling the DH role game by game.

#462 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,042 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:22 PM

season opens tomorrow at 12:30pm!  i think.  afternoon anyway.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 March 2019 - 06:22 PM.

#463 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:21 PM

In the middle of a workday. *grumble*

Another interesting tidbit about the Blue Jays and offloaded contracts:

Players The Jays Are Paying NOT To Play For Them:

Troy Tulowitzki - $19.45 Million

Kendrys Morales - $10.00 Million

Russel Martin - $16.40 Million

Jamie Garcia - $2.00 Million

Yangervis Solarte - $0.750 Million

Total Dead Money: $48.6 Million

Note: All dead money will be done after the 2019 season outside of Tulo who will be given another $14 Million in 2020 and another $4 Million in 2021.

[source]

#464 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:24 PM

The Blue Jays abruptly traded Kevin Pillar to the San Francisco Giants early today, getting back two RHPs - Juan de Paula and Derek Law - and infielder Alen Hanson. They are also bringing Anthony Alford up from AAA to take Pillar's place.

Later today the Blue Jays swapped outfielders with the San Diego Padres, sending Rodrigo Orozco and receiving Socrates Brito (who will be joining the 25-man roster). Good depth now for outfield and infield.

I expect Justin Smoak will likely be traded this year as he has value as a 1B/DH (his current contract is up this year). Both Stroman and Sanchez have one more year to go, and if they build value this season may be on the table as well.

• jonny likes this

#465 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:13 PM

https://twitter.com/...188134535028738

The Blue Jays have called up their latest and hottest prospect, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. He will be playing in the bigs beginning tomorrow as the Blue Jays host Oakland for a weekend series.

A congratulatory tweet from Vladimir Guerrero Sr., and a near iconic photo:

https://twitter.com/...210485934821377

• jonny likes this

#466 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 12:25 PM

Cavan Biggio (son of HOFer Craig Biggio) has been absolutely mashing at AAA Buffalo as well. He's slashing .418/.522/.636 with an OPS of 1.158 in 55 at bats. Wow! It wouldn't be a shock to see him called up sometime in 2019 as well. 

Unfortunately Bo Bichette, who has struggled a bit in Buffalo, has a broken hand and is out for 6 weeks. 

#467 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:34 AM

It was a very good debut by Vlad Guerrero.

It did overshadow an outstanding night by Stroman.

• jonny likes this

#468 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,042 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:39 AM

It was a very good debut by Vlad Guerrero.

It did overshadow an outstanding night by Stroman.

guerrero got lots of camera time!     28,000+ at the park which is pretty good.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 April 2019 - 04:41 AM.

#469 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:37 AM

The end of the rebuild is upon us.

Jr, Bo, Biggio, Rowdy, Pearson, Grichuk, Teoscar, Jansen. The future is sooooo bright. Now, where are my sunglasses?

#470 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:37 AM

Now, if only Sanchez's fingers would stop falling apart...

#471 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:12 PM

jonny, on 27 Apr 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

Now, if only Sanchez's fingers would stop falling apart...

Third year in a row? Not sure how common this is among pitchers.

• jonny likes this

#472 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:51 PM

Stroman was excellent last night, he deserved that win. Unfortunately Biagini bungled it. Then again, it set up for the walkoff win.

The team has been performing better in the last half month vs the first half, which is encouraging. There's a lot of fresh energy, even more so with Vlad Jr. One can only wonder at the performance output once Biggio, Bichette etc are on board.

#473 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

The Tampa Bay Rays have received approval to explore an opportunity to play half of their season in Montreal. Apparently part of the plan is to construct new ballparks in both cities. It's early days, though, with the earliest "home" game in Montreal not likely to occur until at least 2023.

CBC has the story: https://www.cbc.ca/s...split-1.5183234

• Mike K. likes this

#474 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:52 AM

The Tampa Bay Rays have received approval to explore an opportunity to play half of their season in Montreal. 

Interesting Idea. Looking forward to seeing this.  Besides it tough to follow the Jays this year.

#475 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:59 PM

So what happens if the bi-national, bi-city team makes the playoffs? All played in Tampa Bay, being October? Is it fair to the opposing team in the World Series to have to travel more by going to two cities to play? An interesting idea. We'll see where it goes.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#476 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,042 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:51 PM

it does seem a bit odd.  

the buffalo bills ended early their deal to play some games in toronto.  and that was an easy commute for fans.

as someone commented sarcastically:

From a player standpoint, nothing would attract me more to a team than to know that I'm going to have to get 2 different residences in separate countries and have to pack my family up and move mid-season.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 June 2019 - 06:56 PM.

#477 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:39 AM

The Tampa Bay Rays have received approval to explore an opportunity to play half of their season in Montreal. Apparently part of the plan is to construct new ballparks in both cities. It's early days, though, with the earliest "home" game in Montreal not likely to occur until at least 2023.

CBC has the story: https://www.cbc.ca/s...split-1.5183234

Maybe they will change the names of the teams :

In Tampa, the 'Real Rays.

In Montreal: the 'Real X Rays.

#478 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:09 AM

Cool night for Jays Vlad Guerrero Jr!  BTW he is just 20 years old.

"Jays rookie Vlad Guerrero Jr sets one-round record at Home Run Derby"

https://nationalpost...d9-395a7d120ac0

#479 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:33 PM

Former Blue Jays shortstop Troy Tulowitzki is retiring from playing baseball. Source

I wanted to take this opportunity to announce my retirement as a Major League Baseball player.

For as long as I can remember, my dream was to compete at the highest level as a Major League Baseball Player … to wear a big league uniform and play hard for my teammates and the fans. I will forever be grateful for every day that I’ve had to live out my dream.  It has been an absolute honor.

I will always look back with tremendous gratitude for having the privilege of playing as long as I did. There is no way to truly express my gratitude to the fans of Colorado, Toronto and New York. They always made my family and I feel so welcome.

I want to thank the Yankees organization and Brian Cashman for giving me the opportunity to wear the Yankees uniform and live out another childhood dream. I wish that my health had allowed for a different ending to that chapter.

To the coaches, training staff and baseball executives who helped me in my career … I am incredibly grateful to all of you. To my teammates throughout the years, thank you for grinding with me. I truly value all the relationships that were built through this game.

None of this would have been possible without the love and support of my family and friends. To my wife, my son and my parents … you helped make my dreams come true. To my agent Paul Cohen and TWC Sports Management … thank you for taking care of everything. You all allowed me to play the game I love without distractions.

While this chapter is now over, I look forward to continuing my involvement in the game that I love … instructing and helping young players to achieve their goals and dreams.

I’m saying goodbye to Major League Baseball, but I will never say goodbye 2 the game I love. Thanks again 2 all of you!

Despite voluntarily retiring, my understanding is he is still owed the outstanding value of his contract with the Blue Jays since they released him. So another $18M through 2021.

Troy Tulowitzki walks away from #MLB having earned just shy of $168M across 13 seasons w/ the #Rockies, #BlueJays & #Yankees, including another $18M thru 2021 from Toronto to finish off his $157M contract signed back in 2010.

Source

He already has an assistant coaching job lined up with the Texas Longhorns at UTexas. Source

#480 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:00 AM

It sure was nice having a real shortstop for a while! I didn't expect his downfall to be so sudden...injuries, man.

I'll never forget the three run homer he hit in Game 3 of the ALCS in 2015. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users