Photo

Toronto Blue Jays, Seattle Mariners and MLB discussion

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#101 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:47 PM

We can't not mention the Red Sox, Yankees and Bruins. Oh and of course the 49ers.

But, what happens in Seattle when the Jays are in town is in another level. I think Mariners fans have just given up and don't even go when Toronto is in town.

#102 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:04 PM

We can't not mention the Red Sox, Yankees and Bruins. Oh and of course the 49ers.

But, what happens in Seattle when the Jays are in town is in another level. I think Mariners fans have just given up and don't even go when Toronto is in town.

Well, where the heck were the Mariners fans?  They went into the series just a couple out of the wild-card.  

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#103 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:48 PM

Like I said, I think they have just given up on going when we are in town.

#104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

Toronto Sun reporter Ken Fidlin, who has been covering baseball for three decades, pays witness to the Canadian invasion at Safeco year after year. But he said there were more Blue Jays fans in Seattle for this series than ever before. That can’t be easy for locals to hear.

Unfortunately, as Cruz said, that’s just the way it is. The Mariners may not want to hear opposing fans hijack their home park, but they can’t figure out a way to silence them.

http://www.seattleti...t-by-jays-fans/

For the second straight night at Safeco, at least 60 percent of the 34,000 fans were rooting for Toronto. From the moment “O Canada” played over the sound system, it was clear the home team would be batting in the top half of each inning.

Chants of “Let’s go Blue Jays!” blared throughout the evening, and boos followed Hisashi Iwakuma’s every attempt to pick a Blue Jay off at first. In their last-ditch effort to sneak into the postseason, the Mariners found themselves strangers in a familiar land.

“I doubt any other park has something like this,” said Seattle reliever Tom Wilhelmsen, referencing the number of fans supporting the visiting team. “I think every baseball fan should come check out a Blue Jays series against the Mariners in Seattle just as much as I think they should go to Fenway Park.”

If this series were taking place in mid-June, or after the Mariners’ playoff fate had been decided, then this invasion wouldn’t be so concerning. Our neighbors to the north have just one baseball team, and British Columbia fans mark these dates on their calendars every year.

But the Mariners began this mid-September series two games behind Toronto for the final wild-card spot. And yet, the cheers for Russell Martin were far greater than those for Leonys Martin.

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#105 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:08 PM

Had such a good time. My fourth trip to Seattle to see the Mariners vs various teams, but the first time I managed to do it when the Blue Jays were there. I well knew that this series is always a big draw from Western Canada, yet was staggered by the amount of blue while passing through downtown, and again once I was inside the park. Not to mention when the chanting and cheering started. I've only been able to make the trip about every other year recently, but am already expecting to go for the series next June.

I've been a bit bemused by the cries from Mariners fans over being upstaged by the opposing fanbase. They have a ballpark that they can get to more easily than many of us can, so it is incumbent on them to attend and support their team. None of the games were full - there were many seats to spare, so it's not as if the Jays fans prevented Mariners fans from attending.

For my part I greatly enjoyed being a part of the experience in those three games. I can't wait to go again next year. But now, there's a playoff race to watch. Good step forward with tonight's win, very reminiscent of Tuesday evening.

#106 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:05 AM

There is some theory that Mariners season tickets holders sell off their seats for a good dollar for this series. Online to Canadian fans.

#107 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 11:01 PM

There is some theory that Mariners season tickets holders sell off their seats for a good dollar for this series. Online to Canadian fans.

I can see shrewd season ticket holders selling their tickets for those games knowing that the demand would be there. As it was the best tickets we could get ahead of time were row 39/40 in one of the sections behind the visitor dugout. Hardly terrible seats, but hoping we can get a little lower down for the next series.

#108 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:36 AM

The seats we have are so close you can see colour of the snoose, while we cheer the team on from the comfy chairs in the TV room.

#109 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

Miami Marlins pitcher José Fernández, who defected from Cuba at 15 and went on to become one of baseball's brightest stars, was killed early Sunday in a boating accident, Florida authorities said.

http://www.cnn.com/2...dead/index.html

#110 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:21 PM

What a Blue Jays win today!

• Bingo likes this

#111 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:34 PM

Watch the video 

https://www.thestar....ez-tragedy.html

A three-year-old GIF of Jose Fernandez was shared widely on Sunday morning, following news of the 24-year-old Miami Marlins pitcher’s sudden death.

In it, Blue Jays shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, then with the Colorado Rockies, lines a rocket of a come-backer to the mound where Fernandez — then just 20 years old and en route to being named the National League’s rookie of the year — reaches up and snatches the ball out of the air.

Tulowitzki stops, bewildered. “Did you just catch that?” he says.

Fernandez, who initially tried to keep a straight face, lets out a bright, toothy grin. Then he nods and giggles his way off the field.

It was one of many moments in Fernandez’s career when he showed the obvious joy with which he played the game.

#112 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:26 PM

Squeaker of a game today, for certain. I'll be hurrying home after work tomorrow to see as much of the final Yanks game as I can. Hoping they can manage a sweep.

Edited by grantpalin, 25 September 2016 - 07:26 PM.

#113 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:01 AM

It's one-game play-in to see who enters the ALDS. Right now, there is a 97% chance that this will be a Toronto game.

Still to be determined is the opponent (likely Baltimore), the time (likely 4pm or 5pm our time), and who the home team is (again, likely Toronto).

Tuesday, October 4th.

#114 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

HARBOURCATS HOTSTOVE SET FOR NOVEMBER 5

The HarbourCats Hotstove is returning and will take place Saturday, November 5 at Yates Street Taphouse.

14358836_1302514419766914_6918706434545808234_n.jpg

• Bingo likes this

#115 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

So the Jays are at least guaranteed a tie-break game now.   Which will take place Monday if necessary.  Otherwise, if not, we go to the play-in game Tuesday the 4th.  Which we also go to if we win a tie-break game.

#116 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:18 PM

So the Jays are at least guaranteed a tie-break game now.   Which will take place Monday if necessary.  Otherwise, if not, we go to the play-in game Tuesday the 4th.  Which we also go to if we win a tie-break game.

That was a nail-biter with Osuna making that mistake and then saving the game.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#117 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:24 PM

That was a nail-biter with Osuna making that mistake and then saving the game.

Of all the times to make that mistake (it was clearly a balk).  3-0 count and the only guy on base is at 3rd, crazy.

#118 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:37 PM

Of all the times to make that mistake (it was clearly a balk).  3-0 count and the only guy on base is at 3rd, crazy.

What a moment that was. I was worried that the Sox might press further. And then the top of the ninth happened - real edge-of-the-seat material.

In other news, the Mariners lost their game today, so they are out of the running. One more game with King Felix tomorrow. Apparently they prepared special shirts with the "This is MY house" scene he did last week.

Edited by grantpalin, 01 October 2016 - 10:45 PM.

#119 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:44 PM

As I understand it, if the Jays win tomorrow, they secure the #1 wild card, and will host the WC game, regardless of how the other teams do.

#120 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:09 AM

Yes I'm mistaken about a Monday game too.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users