Toronto Blue Jays, Seattle Mariners and MLB discussion

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#121 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:46 AM

This is a good explanation of the wildcard tie-breakers.

http://m.mlb.com/new...aker-scenarios/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#122 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:59 AM

All the important games go at 12 noon or so today, should be great.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#123 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:05 AM

This is a good explanation of the wildcard tie-breakers.

http://m.mlb.com/new...aker-scenarios/

The Wild Card race is more interesting than the World Series.

Edited by Bingo, 02 October 2016 - 06:54 AM.

#124 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:10 AM

Was just reading a summary of the scenarios: http://www.theglobea...rticle32203004/

A little bit more readable for me than the MLB summary linked previously.

Simplest solution: Blue Jays win today, secure WC #1, host the WC game. Let's go Blue Jays.

Edited by grantpalin, 02 October 2016 - 10:11 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and Bingo like this

#125 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:01 PM

OCIMxQw.jpg

Found this, which is an even better representation for today. Row three looks ideal - Tigers and Orioles have to face each other before one reaches the WC game.

Source

Edited by grantpalin, 02 October 2016 - 12:03 PM.

#126 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

It is, except the three-way tie-break is a doozy.

But USA Today spilled some beans.  >  >   http://www.usatoday....ioles/91414008/

#127 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

It is, except the three-way tie-break is a doozy.

But USA Today spilled some beans.  >  >   http://www.usatoday....ioles/91414008/

Doozy indeed. Imagine what that table would look like if the Mariners were still in it too.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#128 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:40 PM

Tigers lost, Orioles won, Blue Jays won.

AL Wild card at Rogers Centre, Tuesday at 5pm PST.

#129 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:02 PM

Good finish. 2 out of 3 in Boston, tough to do.

#130 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:07 PM

Good finish. 2 out of 3 in Boston, tough to do.

Wild card aside, that was a good way to finish up. Close one though, like last night.

#131 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:30 PM

Wild card aside, that was a good way to finish up. Close one though, like last night.

True, it was a rough Sept.

#132 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

Undefeated in October!

Too bad MLB seemingly hates the idea of proper playoff series and the Wild Card is a one game crap shoot.

Who are the probable starters? Stroman or Estrada for the Jays. Sucks Sanchez and Happ are unavailable.

#133 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:16 PM

Undefeated in October!

Too bad MLB seemingly hates the idea of proper playoff series and the Wild Card is a one game crap shoot.

Who are the probable starters? Stroman or Estrada for the Jays. Sucks Sanchez and Happ are unavailable.

Estrada seems to be the consensus.   But I think you can go Estrada, Stroman and Happ in this game.  Make sure it gets done, no reason to leave your starter in 6 or 7 innings.  After all, there is no tomorrow if we lose.

Ya, proper playoff series extends things too far.  Us oldsters remember when only 4 teams made the playoffs it was not that long ago.

#134 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:56 PM

Estrada and Stroman are available, though the latter apparently doesn't do as well vs the Orioles. I like the idea of having some of the other starters in the pen if needed. Pull out all the stops if need be. ALDS starts on Thursday.

#135 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 07:51 AM

Estrada seems to be the consensus.   But I think you can go Estrada, Stroman and Happ in this game.  Make sure it gets done, no reason to leave your starter in 6 or 7 innings.  After all, there is no tomorrow if we lose.

Ya, proper playoff series extends things too far.  Us oldsters remember when only 4 teams made the playoffs it was not that long ago.

No way.

Happ (2 days rest) and Sanchez (1 days rest) absolutely will not pitch at all. Besides, pitching starters out of the bullpen doesn’t tend to turn out all that well, anyway. Pitchers rely too much on routines.

Estrada pitched on Friday (3 days rest), so he’s out now that I look again. He is good for Game one of the ALDS, though!  

It looks like they’ll go with Liriano, which looks like the right move, actually. Stroman has been good of late, but Liriano has been even better. The Orioles have one glaring weakness – they have been terrible at hitting left handed pitching.

I think they should start the playoffs in September. The regular season is too long and the playoffs are too short.

#136 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:55 AM

I think I'd start Liriano but have Stro ready to come in in a long relief role if bad Liriano shows up. 

Liriano was very good in his start against  Baltimore last week.

If the Jays win the AL Wild Card game, the dates work out well for Happ getting two starts against the Rangers on regular rest if that series were to go five games. Sanchez would be on short rest if he were to pitch Game 1, bud dude is our Ace and future of the franchise (3.00 ERA...c'mon), so I'd be tempted to go with him. 

#137 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:26 PM

^ Interesting thoughts.  I tell ya, this is why I love playoff baseball, all the strategizing is great.

#138 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 01:19 PM

Aaaaand they announce Stroman will start.

#139 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:46 PM

I thought there was to much coverage of the locker room party with the players being goofy with the champagne.

Let them celebrate but keep the cameras outa there.

#140 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:57 PM

^ Interesting thoughts.  I tell ya, this is why I love playoff baseball, all the strategizing is great.

You know, that’s why these wild card games are so brutal. Baseball is so full of Cy Young calibre pitchers who have a bad game here and there, relievers who blow saves, gold glove fielders who botch routine plays and balls that just happen to hit soft spots (i.e. little bloopers), etc. To boil down a 162 game season to one game is pretty brutal – if you’re the loser!

I’ll be choked if the Blue Jays lose tomorrow, but let’s be honest, a one game playoff is essentially a coin flip. The difference can be as small as one player having a great day or a starting pitcher having a bad start.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users