Drones in the city

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#61 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

And now they're in the airport

Helsinki Airport recently became the first in the world to track passenger movements in real time, from the parking lot to departure gates.

http://edition.cnn.c...article_sidebar

140819141311-easyjet-drone-entertain-fea

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

http://ftw.usatoday....one-flag-kosovo

http://youtu.be/SGs3RcoitqU

The Albanian national team made its first trip to play Serbia in Belgrade since 1967 Tuesday, and political tensions between the two countries overshadowed the game. UEFA banned Albanian fans from attending the match, for security reasons, but fans managed to fly a drone into the stadium carrying an Albanian flag featuring a map of Kosovo and the message “autochthonous,” or indigenous.

serbia-brawl_68024080.jpg?w=1000&h=687

Marko Djurica/Reuters

Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic pulled down the flag, and members of the Albanian team rushed over, sparking a huge brawl on the pitch.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:28 AM

Here's an idea for someone's drone - film next year's Canada Day fireworks from the inside.  Pretty amazing footage and even more amazing that one of the fireworks didn't take out the drone.

http://youtu.be/a9KZ3jgbbmI

There are 8 other cool drone videos here:

http://camcorders.re...deos-on-the-web

Edited by Gary H, 08 November 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#64 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

MarkoJ, on 11 Sept 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

Yes, the litmus test is not weight, size, or anything that would make common sense.  The litmus test is whether you are using the drone for commercial use or not.  So I can fly my drone in a busy park for personal use putting people at risk but I can't take a quick video of a home I am about to list?  

Flight plan doesn't work with my business as Transport Canada wants at least 20 business days (see some info I got from them below).  People sometimes call me on a Monday and want their home listed by Thursday.

"The following constitutes an application for a Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV) Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC). Please contact your local Transport Canada regional office or email at CAOPac-OACPac@tc.gc.ca for any further queries or application submissions.

Aeronautics Act Definition: "hire or reward" means any payment, consideration, gratuity or benefit, directly or indirectly charged, demanded, received or collected by any person for the use of an aircraft. This includes work done for free, used to promote something else.

Note 1.       In accordance with Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs 623.65(d) Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV) an application for a Special Flight Operations Certificate for the purpose of conducting the flight of an unmanned aircraft (UAV) shall be received by Transport Canada at least 20 working days prior to the date of the proposed operation.

Note 2.       The UAV operator must be able to demonstrate that they are adequately equipped to safely operate the UAV in the desired environment.

Note 3.       Certificate applicants should strive to submit a comprehensive application appropriate to the scope of the planned operation and complexity of their UAV system event/operation.

IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS:

a)       During the operation, at all times, the UAV shall remain at a lateral distance of
NOT LESS than 30 metres (may be more for higher/faster/heavier) away from inhabited structures such as buildings, vehicles, vessels and other persons who are not associated with the operation.

b)       UAVs must give way to manned aircraft.

c)       UAVs must meet “equivalent” levels of safety as manned aircraft. UAV operations must be as safe as manned aircraft insofar as they must not present a hazard to person or property on the ground, or in the air.

d)       Normally a minimum of two persons are required for any UAV event, the UAV Pilot (“handler”) and an observer (‘spotter’). Their positions must be located on the submitted detailed map/photo.

i.         Observers will maintain in constant communication with the UAV pilot in order to provide instructions on required manoeuvering to steer clear of other aircraft/structures, vehicles, people etc. This must be described fully in the submitted detailed plan

e)       The UAV Pilot is the person responsible for command and control of the UAV in flight.

f)        No more than one UAV shall be operated in flight by a single pilot at any one time.

g)       Control of the UAV shall originate from a single ground control (i.e. airborne relays between multiple ground control stations are not permitted).

h)       The UAV generally should:

i.         have a maximum take-off weight not exceeding 35 Kg (77.2 lbs).

ii.        at all times, continuously be kept within unaided visual line-of-sight of the UAV pilot or observer.

iii.      be operated at a maximum altitude not exceeding 120 meters (lower in built -up areas) above ground level (AGL).

iv.      be operated during day Visual Flight Rules (VFR) conditions only.

v.       have a serviceable “fail-safe” mechanisms incorporated so that following loss of signal, the flight is terminated.

vi.      have the ‘fail-safe’ function programmed so that during flight, the throttle is set to idle or cut-off.

vii.    be remote controlled

viii.   shall not carry a payload that disperses products, drops objects or is an explosive device. 

Well you are back in business Marko, the feds have seen the light and you now have a let for commercial usage.

New rules for small unmanned aircraft

Transport Canada makes it easier to fly small UAVs for work and research

November 27, 2014 – Ottawa, Ontario – Transport Canada

Transport Canada today introduced two new exemptions that make it easier for businesses to fly small unmanned air vehicles (UAVs) safely and legally.

Under the new exemptions, a Special Flight Operations Certificate will no longer be required for certain operations involving very small (under 2 kg) and small (between 2 kg and 25 kg) UAVs. The new approach will apply to commercial operations and contribute to a strong safety regime.

To qualify under the new rules, operators must check Transport Canada’s website to confirm if the exemptions apply to them. If they do, operators must respect strict safety conditions at all times, including height restrictions, minimum distances from aerodromes and other hazards, as well as flight within specific airspace and visual lineofsight. Anyone operating outside of these conditions will be required to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate.

These exemptions were previously announced to stakeholders at the Unmanned Systems Canada conference on November 5th. In October, Minister Raitt launched the Government of Canada’s national safety awareness campaign, which aims to help Canadians better understand the risks and responsibilities of flying UAVs. For more information, please visit www.tc.gc.ca/SafetyFirst.

Quick Facts

* Canada has had safety regulations in place that govern the use of UAVs since 1996.

* Operators that use UAVs over 25 kg for work or research must apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate.

* If an operator flies a UAV without a Special Flight Operations Certificate and should have one, Transport Canada can issue fines of up to $5,000 for an individual and $25,000 for a company.

* If an operator does not follow the requirements of their Special Flight Operations Certificate, Transport Canada can issue fines of up to $3,000 for an individual and $15,000 for a business.

* Recreational operators continue to be responsible to fly safely and should refer to Transport Canada’s website for information on any operating requirements.

• Baro likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#65 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:38 PM

Once they become armed with poison darts things will change.

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:47 AM

What are the legalities of taking one of these things out if it invades your privacy?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:52 AM

What are the legalities of taking one of these things out if it invades your privacy?

I'm not sure shooting it would justify discharging a firearm within municipal boundaries. 

I suppose you could use a net cannon to capture it, but I'd just go for a green laser and fry the camera.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

I'm not sure shooting it would justify discharging a firearm within municipal boundaries. 

I suppose you could use a net cannon to capture it, but I'd just go for a green laser and fry the camera.

Oh come on, those are both wimpy.  Get your own superior drone.  Then have a real dogfight.  We could have a whole new arms race here to spur the economy.  If we all compare our drones as much as we do our cellphones, it'll be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP1koSYT5ek

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#69 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

Coming soon to a navy near you...

(CNN) -- The U.S. Navy says its new laser weapon works and it will use it if it has to.

The laser could be used to stop threats ranging from drones and helicopters to small patrol boats.

more:  http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_c1

#70 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:59 PM

^And only costs $1 a shot, pretty good value that.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#71 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

Super Soaker watergun or.. Oooh theres the ticket, a pressure washer.. hit a prop or two and it'll probably head towards the ground quick.. then you've got a free drone!

Start selling drone parts on eBay..

cakes..

• Mike K. likes this

#72 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:00 PM

Oh come on, those are both wimpy.  Get your own superior drone.  Then have a real dogfight.  We could have a whole new arms race here to spur the economy.  If we all compare our drones as much as we do our cellphones, it'll be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP1koSYT5ek

If I were to enter such a battle it would be using this $649 drone - it appears almost indestructible.

http://youtu.be/pl2Z9N4Q82g

Edited by Gary H, 14 December 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#73 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,493 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:15 PM

A paintball marker would probably take a drone down pretty quick....

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

I think ya gotta be pretty dumb to fly a drone near the White House, esp. at 3am.

http://www.fortmillt...overs.html?rh=1

WASHINGTON — A two-foot-long drone apparently flown by a hobbyist crashed on the White House grounds Monday in an extraordinary, if unintended, breach that raised fresh questions about the president's security — and a growing threat from the sky.

A man later came forward to say he was responsible for the mishap in the middle of the night and hadn't meant to fly the drone over the complex, officials said. "Initial indications are that this incident occurred as a result of recreational use of the device," said Secret Service spokesman Brian Leary.

President Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, were overseas when the quadcopter struck the southeast side of the grounds at about 3 a.m. Daughters Sasha and Malia stayed behind in Washington; it was not known whether they were at the mansion.

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwLXRLDApSI

What's the building(s) at 5:29?  That's real awesome looking.

EDIT: Marina Bay Sands, Singapore, wow.   http://en.wikipedia....arina_Bay_Sands

the-marina-bay-sands-hotel-in-singapore-

1279918216-99154c-copy.jpg

#76 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

That pool scares the bejeebers out of me!

#77 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:26 AM

Can we build that in the Songhees?

#78 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:59 PM

Cool and hideous at the same time.

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:02 PM

Cool and hideous at the same time.

Ya, that about hits it.  That pool is creepy.  #easysuicide

#80 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

Ya, that about hits it.  That pool is creepy.  #easysuicide

Not quite as easy as it looks...

spMarina-Bay-Sands-Architecture-Moshe-Sa

http://stylepantry.c...l-in-singapore/

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users