Drones in the city

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

Yeah, but most people don't have rifles and those that do probably won't be shooting them out of their condo window! 

1/3 of us do.  So that's a dozen or more per condo building.   I'm thinking a shot-gun will be more effective.  http://en.wikipedia....pita_by_country

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

Every HarbourCats game, about 20 balls go foul and out of the park, land in the parking lot, on Vancouver or Caledonia, or on cars, sidewalks or condos.  That's 540 balls.  Multiple that by 50,000 ballparks all over North America.  A baseball is more dangerous than a drone.

You accidentally answered my question. The ultimate drone destroyer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lcu5kHRJDE

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

^ That thing is all automatic, except you still have to crank the handle.

What are people hoping to see with the drones?  if they want to see some kind of sex or nudity or something, pretty sure you can just type "drone" or "caught" or "surprise" or "girl alone" into **rnhub and get the results you are hoping for, every time.  And save time and money.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

It's the thrill of the hunt, man.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

^What do you think is the best weapon to take out a drone? It must be easily accessible and safe. I'm thinking a wet T-shirt or towel if it was close or a paint ball or pellet gun if you were in an area where you could safely fire a projectile. Maybe we need to amend the strata act so that the air space 20 feet past you balcony is part of the strata lot, therefore your defend-able property. I'm sorta kidding but this is quickly becoming an issue. 

Just need a matching remote control ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

Just need a matching remote control ;)

Ah, yes. I once spent a couple of days wondering why my ceiling fan was turning on and off, speeding up and slowing down until I realized a neighbour and I both had remote controls with the same factory settings.

That would be fun--his drone suddenly reverses course--الله أكبر--and smashes into a concrete wall.

• Mike K. likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#27 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

Ah, yes. I once spent a couple of days wondering why my ceiling fan was turning on and off, speeding up and slowing down until I realized a neighbour and I both had remote controls with the same factory settings.

That would be fun--his drone suddenly reverses course--الله أكبر--and smashes into a concrete wall.

Or perhaps a way to score some drones for eBay...

#28 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

Somebody must be capable to come up with a rolling code generator drone control that could let you take control of any drone pretty quickly. Amp up the signal strength and you could override the owner easily.

What kind of range do these drones have anyway, I know with RC aircraft you can't be that far away before you can't communicate with it anymore. A friend of mine found that out one day when he got distracted for a couple of minutes and his aircraft just sailed off into the sunset.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#29 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

What kind of range do these drones have anyway, I know with RC aircraft you can't be that far away before you can't communicate with it anymore. A friend of mine found that out one day when he got distracted for a couple of minutes and his aircraft just sailed off into the sunset.

The good ones will have a return to home feature that will return the drone back to the take-off point if it goes out of range:

http://www.dji.com/p...on-plus/feature

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#30 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

Oh, well that is certainly an improvement over the old RC aircraft.

I see they have a range of about 800 metres over an open area so the guy/gal in the TC story was probably in the open field/construction area opposite the girls apartment.

I'm still going with a jammer as the best defense.

#31 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:22 PM

Lasers can damage camera sensors.  Just make sure there's no airplane where you're pointing the laser...

#32 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

Ah, yes indeed.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

Oh, well that is certainly an improvement over the old RC aircraft.

I see they have a range of about 800 metres over an open area so the guy/gal in the TC story was probably in the open field/construction area opposite the girls apartment.

I'm still going with a jammer as the best defense.

My connection that has a commercial-grade one has flown it over 3km.  It uses 3G.  So its range is really only limited by battery life.

#34 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

You dont need a drone to look in windows just a  pair of binoculars, an aprtment building as a subject and a lawn chair.

• Mike K. likes this

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

I lived in a glassy condo and you learned to know which vantage points in your suite were more private. 

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

There is probably drone that you can buy that is armed, that you can scramble to take out the invading drone.

But it is only a matter of time before there is some sort of regulations that are brought in by the authorities that will make it appear that they are doing something, but in reality will have about as much teeth as the not driving while on the cell phone law.

Maybe when someone is injured or forced off the road by a lurking drone; or if some ones privacy is invaded and the photos appear on YouTube, with the victim then committing suicide....maybe...

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

The Oak Bay police chief said on CFAX today he was concerned about drones, as it could run out of power, and "now you have a 30 or 40 lb. device falling from the sky".   Ah, dude, you are waaaay off.  These quads weigh just over 1kg.  (2.2 lbs.)

Now, I recently said a baseball was more dangerous than a drone.  Turns out a baseball is only about 150 grams, but it is certainly more aerodynamic than a falling drone.  But its terminal velocity is only about 95mph.  This guy caught one dropped from 1000 ft.

On July 2, 2012, Hample attempted to break a world record by catching a baseball dropped from a helicopter 1,000 feet above LeLacheur Park in Lowell, Massachusetts.[18]Wearing catcher's gear that was donated by Rawlings, Hample established a record by catching a softball dropped from a height of 312 feet. He then caught baseballs dropped from heights of 312 feet, 562 feet, and 822 feet before the Federal Aviation Administration called off the stunt due to strong winds.[19][20] The 822-foot catch was initially thought to be 762 feet, but a discrepancy in the altimeter settings, which was captured on video and discovered months later, added 60 feet to the altitude. On July 13, 2013, Hample made another attempt at LeLacheur Park and succeeded in catching a baseball dropped from an altitude of 1,050 feet.

• sebberry likes this

#38 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

What about a Harbour Air or Helijet aircraft falling out of the air into Oak Bay territory does he mention the danger there or the weight of them?

How about the BC air ambulance helicopter that flies into Royal Jube in Oak Bay Airspace?

Heck the International Space Station passes over frequently too.

Oh I forgot its more fear mongering and speculation and guesses

Ill

#39 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

I'd like Bosa to buy us a HEL MD (high energy laser mobile demonstrator) to protect Promontory from peeping drones, or pretty much any other type of flying threat.  :mellow:

Check out the article's promo video by Boeing - very cool tech that sounds ready to go, but controlled by an Xbox controller?

http://www.engadget....d=rss_truncated

Edited by Gary H, 07 September 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

Yikes, what if it accidentally took out a seaplane?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users