• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

With an Xbox controller, eh?  Kinda blurring the lines between gaming and reality.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

If you watch the video you'll also hear some classic military speak for putting a weapon on target, except it's not "missile" or "rocket" but "photons on target".

#43 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

This gadget can knock drones and Google Glass offline

Cyborg Unplug is a wireless anti-surveillance system for the home and workplace. 'Plug to Unplug', it detects and kicks devices known to pose a risk to personal privacy from your local wireless network, breaking uploads and streams. Detected devices currently include: Google Glass, Dropcam, small drones/copters, wireless 'spy' microphones and various other network-dependent surveillance devices.    :badpc:   

http://plugunplug.net/

#44 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

Here is what the rich people are doing with their drones.

http://www.metaspoon...-video-surfing/

• sebberry likes this

#45 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:02 PM

helicopter_cat.jpg

• Baro likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#46 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:35 AM

I bought my so called "drone" 8 months ago before all the media scrutiny.  It was a pretty cool tool for marketing homes; however, with all the scrutiny I did some research and to use it for commercial purposes you have to file a flight plan every single time, etc.  Just not worth it and won't work as part of my business anymore. I stopped using for my business two months ago: just personal use now.

Last video I made with the drone on a home in the Mt. Tolmie area.

http://youtu.be/JO4v7Z7OtVY

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#47 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

Thats a nice looking stone house

#48 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:37 AM

Nice video....filing flight plans are not a lot of trouble though are they? I used to file a flight plan once or twice a week when we had our Cessna and that wasn't that hard.

That was a few years ago though...is it more complicated for a drone?

Help us out here Marko, commercial use = flight plan.....recreational use = no flight plan?

#49 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

Nice video....filing flight plans are not a lot of trouble though are they? I used to file a flight plan once or twice a week when we had our Cessna and that wasn't that hard.

That was a few years ago though...is it more complicated for a drone?

Help us out here Marko, commercial use = flight plan.....recreational use = no flight plan?

Yes, the litmus test is not weight, size, or anything that would make common sense.  The litmus test is whether you are using the drone for commercial use or not.  So I can fly my drone in a busy park for personal use putting people at risk but I can't take a quick video of a home I am about to list?  

Flight plan doesn't work with my business as Transport Canada wants at least 20 business days (see some info I got from them below).  People sometimes call me on a Monday and want their home listed by Thursday.

"The following constitutes an application for a Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV) Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC). Please contact your local Transport Canada regional office or email at CAOPac-OACPac@tc.gc.ca for any further queries or application submissions.

Aeronautics Act Definition: "hire or reward" means any payment, consideration, gratuity or benefit, directly or indirectly charged, demanded, received or collected by any person for the use of an aircraft. This includes work done for free, used to promote something else.

Note 1.       In accordance with Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs 623.65(d) Unmanned Air Vehicle (UAV) an application for a Special Flight Operations Certificate for the purpose of conducting the flight of an unmanned aircraft (UAV) shall be received by Transport Canada at least 20 working days prior to the date of the proposed operation.

Note 2.       The UAV operator must be able to demonstrate that they are adequately equipped to safely operate the UAV in the desired environment.

Note 3.       Certificate applicants should strive to submit a comprehensive application appropriate to the scope of the planned operation and complexity of their UAV system event/operation.

IMPORTANT CONSIDERATIONS:

a)       During the operation, at all times, the UAV shall remain at a lateral distance of
NOT LESS than 30 metres (may be more for higher/faster/heavier) away from inhabited structures such as buildings, vehicles, vessels and other persons who are not associated with the operation.

b)       UAVs must give way to manned aircraft.

c)       UAVs must meet “equivalent” levels of safety as manned aircraft. UAV operations must be as safe as manned aircraft insofar as they must not present a hazard to person or property on the ground, or in the air.

d)       Normally a minimum of two persons are required for any UAV event, the UAV Pilot (“handler”) and an observer (‘spotter’). Their positions must be located on the submitted detailed map/photo.

i.         Observers will maintain in constant communication with the UAV pilot in order to provide instructions on required manoeuvering to steer clear of other aircraft/structures, vehicles, people etc. This must be described fully in the submitted detailed plan

e)       The UAV Pilot is the person responsible for command and control of the UAV in flight.

f)        No more than one UAV shall be operated in flight by a single pilot at any one time.

g)       Control of the UAV shall originate from a single ground control (i.e. airborne relays between multiple ground control stations are not permitted).

h)       The UAV generally should:

i.         have a maximum take-off weight not exceeding 35 Kg (77.2 lbs).

ii.        at all times, continuously be kept within unaided visual line-of-sight of the UAV pilot or observer.

iii.      be operated at a maximum altitude not exceeding 120 meters (lower in built -up areas) above ground level (AGL).

iv.      be operated during day Visual Flight Rules (VFR) conditions only.

v.       have a serviceable “fail-safe” mechanisms incorporated so that following loss of signal, the flight is terminated.

vi.      have the ‘fail-safe’ function programmed so that during flight, the throttle is set to idle or cut-off.

vii.    be remote controlled

viii.   shall not carry a payload that disperses products, drops objects or is an explosive device. 

Edited by MarkoJ, 11 September 2014 - 07:01 AM.

#50 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

Ummm - why couldn't you list their home and just have the 'fly-by' added to their listing 20 days later?

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Marko have a listing for 20 days? I doubt it. :)
  • LocalMom likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:41 PM

The guy I'm familiar with files his drone flight plan by e-mail just a day or two in advance.   He's also a licensed pilot.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#53 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:43 PM

Well if you didn't file a flight plan TC would only know about it by complaint. If you talked to the neighbouring properties and told them what you were doing I doubt you would get any complaints.

Or you could just pay someone else you saw flying a drone $20 to do it, cash, no names. 

This act seems like giant overkill in this instance, I can understand their concerns for some commercial operations, but this wouldn't be one of them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#54 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:01 PM

Thanks Marko. Those requirements appear somewhat onerous. I guess that mini blimp that flys around dropping prizes inside the SOFMA is not complying with a few of the regulations. :)

• Mike K. likes this

#55 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:23 AM

Ummm - why couldn't you list their home and just have the 'fly-by' added to their listing 20 days later?

The application is also six pages.  Six page application plus 20 days just don't work for me.  When a listing goes up is when it gets the most attention, not 20 days later.

#56 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:26 AM

Well if you didn't file a flight plan TC would only know about it by complaint. If you talked to the neighbouring properties and told them what you were doing I doubt you would get any complaints.

Complaint could lead to a fine in the thousands.

#57 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

It would be neat if the house seller was recreationally flying a drone over their house a couple of days before the listing went up and had posted the flight to YouTube and they happened to mention it to the Realtor who then linked it to the sale site.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#58 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:28 PM

^What do you think is the best weapon to take out a drone?  

Here is what I am planning on getting......

http://www.boeing.co...d_0514_vid.html

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#59 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

^ Cool. That thing would look good locked onto a crow.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

http://news.national...livery-service/

Germany’s post office beats Amazon and Google with launch of world’s first drone delivery service

google turns 16 today, BTW.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users