Photo

Clover Point

• Please log in to reply
905 replies to this topic

#721 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 07:00 PM

Mayor Helps takes the gloves off over Clover Point, looks to deliver a knockout blow to Dave Obee and his TC editorial with a devastating rebuke.

https://lisahelpsvic...future-we-need/

The reality is, that in addition to overhauling cities to make them more inclusive of seniors, young kids, and people with accessibility challenges, we need to overhaul cities to address climate change.

I call BS.  The reality is her ideology, while well intended, is leaving her blind.   

• "overhauling cities to make them more inclusive of seniors, young kids, and people with accessibility challenges" is done by making a space less accessible?  If you want to make a difference, you need to bring everyone with you.  You are bringing your base with you and ignoring everyone else.
  • "we need to overhaul cities to address climate change" - you certainly don't make an impact by promoting shitty designs.  In fact, all you have done is set climate change action backwards by showing the only way you know how to do it is by punishing people.  Guess what.....they will push back

Helps action on climate change is about as poisonous as her divisive and incendiary interpretation of reconciliation.  

• Nparker, LJ, sebberry and 1 other like this

#722 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 August 2021 - 09:24 PM

Rode my book through the loop today as I have often done for years. Took much longer today, as I had to stop three different times for people laboriously trying to get into or out of the parking spaces now that it was two-way traffic on the open bits, rather than nice angle slots on a simple one-way loop. I guarantee those cars generated more GHGs with the current parking arrangement, and enjoyed their visit a bit less as well. And it ruined my ability to just cycle the loop. 

I don't own a car. I'm even a little anti-car in the sense that I think an urban downtown should be pedestrian-first in approach. But there's good design and bad design, and the Clover Point re-work is screamingly bad design.

• zoomer, Redd42, grantpalin and 3 others like this

#723 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,567 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:37 AM

Mayor Helps takes the gloves off over Clover Point, looks to deliver a knockout blow to Dave Obee and his TC editorial with a devastating rebuke.

Prominent local developer, philanthropist and proponent of the
stalled Telus office development, Luke Mari from Aryze praises the mayor's forsight:

https://twitter.com/...0488152067?s=19

Who can afford to share at $89.99 a day (Evo's daily rate)?

At two days a week needing a car, at 4 times a month, is 8 days. That is $719.92 a month to share a car for the amount of time I would require one. I was hardly paying that when all monthly vehicle cost included a car payment. Now that they don't, owning a car is way cheaper.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 02 August 2021 - 07:36 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#724 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 64,867 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:27 AM

stalled Telus office development, Luke Mari from Aryze praises the mayor's forsight:

In light of the city’s struggles, THIS is what the mayor focuses on for her blog post?

Victoria has an unbelievably high crime severity index and the mayor focuses on Picnic Point.
  • Nparker, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#725 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 64,867 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:30 AM

At two days a week needing a car, at 4 times a month, is 8 days. That is $719.92 a month to share a car for the amount of time I would require one. I was hardly paying that when all monthly vehicle cost included a car payment. Now that they don't, owning a care is way cheaper.

You can rent a car for $56/day from National. Even less if you can score an online deal.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#726 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,567 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:35 AM

You can rent a car for $56/day from National. Even less if you can score an online deal.

Still hardly worth the hassle for what my car cost me.

#727 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 64,867 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:44 AM

Right. The convenience factor comes into play, for sure.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#728 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:50 AM

Out of curiosity we drove to Clover Point on Sunday, middle of the afternoon, warm out, very little wind. No one at all using those picnic tables, long line of cars trying to get a rare parking spot. We were among the unsuccessful and had to wait our turn to turn around, lol. I can't even think of appropriate rude words to describe Helps any longer. 

• Nparker, A Girl is No one and jrm like this

#729 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:34 AM

Does anyone know if the Mayor & Council still get free parking passes?
  • Sparky likes this

#730 Nparker

Nparker
  • 29,414 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:35 AM

They get a free pass on far too many things.

• sebberry and A Girl is No one like this

#731 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

BIG TEXAS FORUMER

• 16,309 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:48 AM

Does anyone know if the Mayor & Council still get free parking passes?

All pols throughout the CRD are eligible for CofV passes, including MLAs and MPs.

The City, prodded by Geoff Young, was considering ending the practice but I don't know how far they got.

Edited by Rob Randall, 02 August 2021 - 08:49 AM.

“I mean I just don’t understand the big Texas part, like maybe he’s from Texas? I want to know the back story.”

#732 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:55 AM

At two days a week needing a car, at 4 times a month, is 8 days. That is $719.92 a month to share a car for the amount of time I would require one. I was hardly paying that when all monthly vehicle cost included a car payment. Now that they don't, owning a car is way cheaper.

Still hardly worth the hassle for what my car cost me.

People rarely rent Modo type cars for entire days. They grab them for the hour or two that they need them. I rely on Modo for my car needs. I average a few hours per month. It costs me less than what I gain from renting out my parking space. 

• Matt R. and DavidSchell like this

#733 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:46 AM

Helps is a liar, plain and simple.

She regales us with an extended tale of watching children playing, people picnicking, handicapped people parking, and no line-up of cars trying to turn around due to lack of parking spaces.

But all of it is a lie, as it's 180 degrees from the observations of dozens of others who bother to take the time to drive down to see "what's up".

Helps issues "come-backs" that are always laden with tales of her own personal experiences ... and then uses those tales as her excuse for supporting some ridiculous motion she supported at Council. But her come-backs are always diametrically opposed to what every other Victorian see's or reports on the same situation.

Helps can't be trusted, nor can her statements be considered truthful.

• Nparker, mbjj, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#734 spanky123

spanky123
  • 16,889 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:56 AM

^ In fairness does Helps write her blog or is it one of her 12 PR people? Or maybe she wrote this one but had the 12 staff and their families go to CP for her to take pictures.

#735 spanky123

spanky123
  • 16,889 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 12:00 PM

Most of the people in this town who have real money, power and influence keep a very low profile. When was the last time you saw Mr. Jawl in the media save for a donation or charitable work as an example. I wonder why that is?
  • rjag likes this

#736 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,567 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 03:56 PM

People rarely rent Modo type cars for entire days. They grab them for the hour or two that they need them. I rely on Modo for my car needs. I average a few hours per month. It costs me less than what I gain from renting out my parking space.

On average, I require a car 4-5 hours two times a week. Evo's hourly rate is $14.99. That is $59.96 to $74.95 for that amount of time. Figure in the value of my time (an hour on each side), I might as well rent for the whole day.

As for making money on renting your parking space, that only works if you own and not rent.

#737 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 64,867 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 04:33 PM

We can watch Picnic Point live (the camera pans over to it every once in a while): https://windisgood.c...allas-road.html

Know it all.

#738 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 64,867 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 04:36 PM

As of 5:35PM there were seven people visible when the camera panned over. Not a soul on the picnic tables, or near them.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#739 rjag

rjag
  • 6,213 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:33 PM

Drove past twice today, only one bench in use, all parking occupied.
Didn’t see Aryze or any of the cycling coalition either

#740 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 20,041 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:47 PM

Drove past twice today, only one bench in use, all parking occupied.
Didn’t see Aryze or any of the cycling coalition either

After Aryze's random and unprovoked twitter attack on Janice W., can anything Luke says be seen as unbiased now?

• rjag and A Girl is No one like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users